Author Topic: Does feeding your child a PBJ in public make you a monster?  (Read 6888 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Does feeding your child a PBJ in public make you a monster?
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/living/article/Mother-peanut-butter-allergy-Target-child-12826097.php

A lot of people apparently think so.  On the one hand, I can see the point of someone who has a child with a peanut allergy.  On the other hand, you cannot expect the world at large to be allergen-free.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Does feeding your child a PBJ in public make you a monster?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
How many other potential dangers would the parent have hauled their kid near to get to the Target store before being downwind of peanut butter? 

I think this has become a modern day SJW cause. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 04:56:01 PM »
JFCOAFPSEAPBAJS!

Less than 2% of of kids have a peanut allergy.  Of those, only a small percentage have a dangerous reaction to peanuts.  This is typical leftist bullshit: "Because my child has a rare problem, you must change everything to bend to my will."   Bring on the Great Plague and let the Grand Cleansing begin!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
Heinlein would say our culture has been overrun by Mrs. Grundy . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
JFCOAFPSEAPBAJS!

Less than 2% of of kids have a peanut allergy.  Of those, only a small percentage have a dangerous reaction to peanuts.  This is typical leftist bullshit: "Because my child has a rare problem, you must change everything to bend to my will."   Bring on the Great Plague and let the Grand Cleansing begin!

It's worse than that.  Because a child somewhere might have a rare problem, you have to change everything. 
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
It would have been wonderful to have this SJW confront MY mother when I was a youngster eating a PB&J sandwich . . . her ears would still be ringing from the verbal beat-down she would have received, which would have been delivered without any actual profanity.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »
If your delicate little snow flake is that fragile, keep it home or in a bubble. And *expletive deleted*ck off while you're at it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »
If your delicate little snow flake is that fragile, keep it home or in a bubble. And *expletive deleted*ck off while you're at it.

My sentiments exactly.

Most stores today have wipes available where the carts are parked. If your little tyke has severe allergies, use the wipes to wipe down the surfaces your kid could touch when sitting in the cart. And teach your kid not to like shopping cart handles. That's a disgusting habit, anyway.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:42:02 PM »
They shoulda just said it was soy nut butter or something.

But:  While I automatically distrust any statements of "fact" begining with "according to" or "studies show," I wonder if the subject of this thread might actually be of real concern.

Sep 22, 2015

Nut-free schools — they're here to stay. And for thousands of parents to kids with serious allergies, that's not just a good thing; it's a lifesaving policy.

According to Food Allergy Research and Education, a nonprofit organization that "works on behalf of the 15 million Americans with food allergies," one in every 13 children is affected by possibly deadly food allergies, which include serious allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. Even being in the vicinity of peanut dust or residue can trigger life-threatening reactions in some children. It's why many schools go nut-free.

https://mashable.com/2015/09/22/nut-free-spreads/#YO5h4AfPXZqw

Needs more study on my part before I personally start condemning folks as SJWs on account of the possible dangers of peanut allergies.

It does seem these sensitivities can change over time.  E.g., I believe I've developed a mild allergy to garlic over 79 years.  I know I'm very allergic to incense as burned in thuribles in RC high mass ceremonies in church. Even "household" incense from another apartment gets to me if I don't start changing the air in the place pretty quick.

Even watching this makes me gasp a little. (0:41):

https://youtu.be/0a4L52GzEZw

Details if interested.  (11:23):
https://youtu.be/AY59IUggkrE 

Terry, 230RN

REF (One BMF thurible):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafumeiro

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:38:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
They can have my peanut butter when they scrape it from the roof of my cold dead mouth.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
There was also the SJW freakout when the kid from Stranger Things gave out PBJs to the audience at the 2016 Emmy's.

They shoulda just said it was soy nut butter or something.

But:  While I automatically distrust any statements of "fact" begining with "according to" or "studies show," I wonder if the subject of this thread might actually be of real concern.

Sep 22, 2015

Nut-free schools — they're here to stay. And for thousands of parents to kids with serious allergies, that's not just a good thing; it's a lifesaving policy.

According to Food Allergy Research and Education, a nonprofit organization that "works on behalf of the 15 million Americans with food allergies," one in every 13 children is affected by possibly deadly food allergies, which include serious allergies to peanuts and tree nuts. Even being in the vicinity of peanut dust or residue can trigger life-threatening reactions in some children. It's why many schools go nut-free.
https://mashable.com/2015/09/22/nut-free-spreads/#YO5h4AfPXZqw

Needs more study on my part before I personally start condemning folks as SJWs on account of the possible dangers of peanut allergies.

It does seem these sensitivities can change over time.  E.g., I believe I've developed a mild allergy to garlic over 79 years.  I know I'm very allergic to incense as used in RC high mass ceremonies in church, and even "household" incense from another apartment gets to me if I don't start changing the air in the place pretty quick.

Even watching this makes me gasp a little. (0:41)

https://youtu.be/0a4L52GzEZw

Terrible thurible Terry, 230RN

1 in 13 are affected? I find this doubtful. Or they are playing word games, "possibly deadly". Probably more like 1 in 13 are affected in some way, all the way from pretty much nothing even noticeable to a deadly reaction, with a great majority in no reaction at all and most to foods that they would of never ate to begin with.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »
1 in 13 are affected? I find this doubtful. Or they are playing word games, "possibly deadly". Probably more like 1 in 13 are affected in some way, all the way from pretty much nothing even noticeable to a deadly reaction, with a great majority in no reaction at all and most to foods that they would of never ate to begin with.

I suspect this is much more the case. If they want to make schools nut-free, that's okay with me. But the world is not allergen-free. I'm allergic to several things, and I've learned not to eat or touch those things. There are no rules against poison ivy, tomatoes, peppers, or eggplant, and I don't need rules to know that I'm allergic. My brother is highly allergic to shellfish. There are no regulations against clams, crabmeat, or lobsters. He just knows not to eat those things.

This is all part of the progressive dumbing down of the populace, and the nanny state mentality. Individuals aren't ever responsible for their own actions or taking care of themselves -- the gooberment must be in charge of every aspect of our lives.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »
I believe I've developed a mild allergy to garlic over 79 years.

Have you tried driving a wooden stake through your heart just to make sure?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »
Are they trying to make us hate anyone with a peanut allergy? These must be the same idiots that block traffic for black lives.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 02:04:52 AM »
Quote from: 230RN on Today at 07:42:02 PM
"I believe I've developed a mild allergy to garlic over 79 years."

Have you tried driving a wooden stake through your heart just to make sure?

Dang-nab it, I never thought I could be turning into a vampire... or is it a werewolf?  I get mixed up about those east European critters.

:rofl:

Come to think of it, I do have to shave my nose...

Terrifying Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 07:48:12 AM »
Why don't they worry about the fact that Target sells peanut butter.  If a tiny piece of a sandwich is a threat to everybody in the store a case of Peter Pan would have the potential danger of a neutron bomb.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
Why don't they worry about the fact that Target sells peanut butter.  If a tiny piece of a sandwich is a threat to everybody in the store a case of Peter Pan would have the potential danger of a neutron bomb.

They should walk it out of the store for you, like buying a gun at Wal-Mart.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
I would NEVER feed my child a PB&J in a shopping cart.

Of course, I pretty much don't feed my children anything in shopping carts. Those things are germ receptacles.

Now I'm rather annoyed I can't bring myself to do it, though. These people are insane.

Look, I'm sorry your child has a deadly allergy (which may have been made so by our INSANE reaction to such a minuscule portion of the population that has such deadly allergies), but it's YOUR job to keep them safe.

If incidental touch of remnants of peanuts means they are going to die, you probably shouldn't be bringing them out in public.

(Also, I believe that treatment exists to move the allergy from "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" to "that gives me discomfort and pain." Look up some doctors that will work on "training the immune system" for peanut allergies.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
I just recall hearing commentary on the radio.  The guy said he had talked to a few school district superintendents about how many kids had those issues.  The answer was about one or two students in the entire district.  IMO, this attitude is why we spend so much on grade school education these days. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »
IMO, this attitude is why we spend so much on grade school education these days. 

I think it is also a dangerous precedent in that we are "socializing" all these kids into a particular perspective that will follow them into adulthood, when they will vote.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
I just recall hearing commentary on the radio.  The guy said he had talked to a few school district superintendents about how many kids had those issues.  The answer was about one or two students in the entire district.  IMO, this attitude is why we spend so much on grade school education these days.  

Yes.

Also the "mainstreaming" of children with learning and/or behavioral issues. When a teacher's attention is basically on the one child that disrupts the class for everyone, EVERY child suffers.

"But, it's not FAIR to separate the other child! They will feel disconnected and ostracized!"

Well, that's sad. Maybe we ought to allow people to put their children in school where they can be best served, rather than create a "one-size fits all" education that is then graded on how well the worst perform?

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
I would NEVER feed my child a PB&J in a shopping cart.
Of course, I pretty much don't feed my children anything in shopping carts. Those things are germ receptacles.
Now I'm rather annoyed I can't bring myself to do it, though. These people are insane.

Look, I'm sorry your child has a deadly allergy (which may have been made so by our INSANE reaction to such a minuscule portion of the population that has such deadly allergies), but it's YOUR job to keep them safe.  If incidental touch of remnants of peanuts means they are going to die, you probably shouldn't be bringing them out in public.

(Also, I believe that treatment exists to move the allergy from "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" to "that gives me discomfort and pain." Look up some doctors that will work on "training the immune system" for peanut allergies.)

What a hateful thing to say!  You're trying to take away their victim status and specialness.  (Mainly, it's a status thing for Mom.)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Having a child makes you a monster.

Not having a child makes you a monster.

Being a monster makes you a monster.

That's why I hate people. They're all monsters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
Having a child makes you a monster.

Not having a child makes you a monster.

Being a monster makes you a monster.

That's why I hate people. They're all monsters.

There's a big difference between the monsters with children and the monsters without children:

I have 4 more monsters to unleash upon the world than the childless monsters.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
Monster? ..... what  monster? >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero