Author Topic: A Gun Nut's Guide to Gun Control  (Read 3337 times)

dm1333

• friend
A Gun Nut's Guide to Gun Control
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »
An interesting take on gun control, I read through it once and am still digesting some of it. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/04/28/gun-nuts-guide-to-gun-control-federal-semi-automatic-firearm-license-218072

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: A Gun Nut's Guide to Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
It's  nothing more than  a revised NFA  of 1934  for semiautos.  The author is clearly a Fudd. 
It will not stop the antigunners;  they want us DISARMED.  This will give them a registration list of who has the types of guns the antis are on their jihad to confiscate.
It doesn't take anything to digest this.  It'll only give you ptomain.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Not just "No", but 'Hell no!"  It's not a gun registration scheme, it's a gun owner registration scheme.  We've got enough of that already with 4473 forms and concealed carry permits.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
It's  nothing more than  a revised NFA  of 1934  for semiautos.  The author is clearly a Fudd. 
It will not stop the antigunners;  they want us DISARMED.  This will give them a registration list of who has the types of guns the antis are on their jihad to confiscate.
It doesn't take anything to digest this.  It'll only give you ptomain.

That was my exact thought, just an expansion/redo/copy of the 1934 NFA for semi-autos. Bad, really bad thinking going on in that guys brain.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 02:22:27 PM »
My gun nut's guide to gun control:  Just say no to gun control.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
They'll get it sooner or later.  Let's face it.  We're amateurs.  They're pros.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »

Correct.

Licenses can be revoked. End of discussion. The word "license" does not appear in my copy of the Second Amendment. We are supposedly guaranteed a "right" to keep and bear arms. Semi-automatic rifles are "arms." There should be no need to obtain a license before exercising a right.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:11:50 PM »
Is the guy trying to sneak in Federal pre-emption vs. the states, in the same way that some states have pre-emption vs. counties and cities?

Hmmm . . . if they were to explicitly criminalize states as well as individual bureaucrats and individual officers who fail to respect a Federal pre-emption law, maybe there would be room for discussion. And of course, they'd have to get rid of secret disqualification criteria, so watch lists and no fly lists wouldn't apply.

And if they're doing background checks, no need to limit to semi autos, approval should also include full autos (goodbye, 1986 MG freeze), suppressors, SBRs, and DDs. In fact, goodbye NFA '34. And there would be no problem with approved people purchasing via mail or across state lines, so goodbye GCA '68. There would have to be some safeguards in place - right now, I don't know what kind - so regulations or incremental changes couldn't be worked in to gradually gnaw away at desirable provisions.

Otherwise . . . not only no, but hell no.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
*expletive deleted*ck you Surrender Monkey
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
I notice a lot more liberal leaning writers trying to beef up their "gun nut" credentials in order to push gun control.  I guess the old way of talking about what a hunter they are doesn't work as well as it used to.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
I notice a lot more liberal leaning writers trying to beef up their "gun nut" credentials in order to push gun control.  I guess the old way of talking about what a hunter they are doesn't work as well as it used to.

Yeah. The current price of admission is that you have to be able to spell "9mm" correctly, and you get bonus points if you claim you carry your "9mm" in church. That checks both the "guns" and "religion" boxes in one sentence. Throw in driving a diesel pickup, and wearing jeans, and we're looking at John Wayne reincarnated (all hail His name). Plus he snuck in "family," so there's another box checked. And he's from Texas (or says he is), so we immediately think back to the Alamo, and Davy Crockett and sam Houston and Jim Bowie.

Yessir, what we're dealin' with here is the Second Coming, fer sure. He made sure he checked as many boxes as humanly possible in that one paragraph.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 02:01:28 PM »
You might want to google "Jon Stokes".   ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
Yeah. The current price of admission is that you have to be able to spell "9mm" correctly, and you get bonus points if you claim you carry your "9mm" in church. That checks both the "guns" and "religion" boxes in one sentence. Throw in driving a diesel pickup, and wearing jeans, and we're looking at John Wayne reincarnated (all hail His name). Plus he snuck in "family," so there's another box checked. And he's from Texas (or says he is), so we immediately think back to the Alamo, and Davy Crockett and sam Houston and Jim Bowie.

Yessir, what we're dealin' with here is the Second Coming, fer sure. He made sure he checked as many boxes as humanly possible in that one paragraph.
:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
You might want to google "Jon Stokes".   ;)
Does it really matter?  Just another form of "compromise" on gun control.  If he is an actual gun guy, it just means he should already know it won't work.  

Besides, if there were to be a federal license, it should be automatic as a legal resident.  

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
"Does it really matter"?  If by that you mean does it really matter what the people who want to restrict or take away our right to bear arms are thinking and what they might be planning?  Yes.  And it helps us to know what their intentions are.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 05:22:53 PM »

Too many boxes.  I think more likely he's just a lying sack of excrement.  (maybe that was implied...)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
You might want to google "Jon Stokes".   ;)

And?

I found this under his byline:

The vintage Henry lever action rifle — the quintessential 20th century deer rifle — was originally deployed to devastating effect in the Civil War.

Really? The original Henry rifle, in .44 Rimfire? The rifle that was built for a whole six years before being replaced by the Winchester Model 1866? And of which only 14,000 were made?

THAT's his idea of the quintessential 20th century deer rifle?

Being a computer programmer and being a gun guy are not inherently mutually exclusive but, in his case, it seems to have worked out that way. He appears to know just enough to throw together words that make it sound like he knows what he's talking about. However, as a man I once worked for liked to say, "Everything you see in print is true ... unless you have firsthand knowledge of the facts."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
And if they're doing background checks, no need to limit to semi autos, approval should also include full autos (goodbye, 1986 MG freeze), suppressors, SBRs, and DDs. In fact, goodbye NFA '34. And there would be no problem with approved people purchasing via mail or across state lines, so goodbye GCA '68. There would have to be some safeguards in place - right now, I don't know what kind - so regulations or incremental changes couldn't be worked in to gradually gnaw away at desirable provisions.

My theoretical theory on that is we assume a person is law abiding and non-violent until he proves otherwise.  Then we take away his rights.

But of course, that would be harking back to the days of old before all the pre-emptive right-taking came about in modern politics.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
My theoretical theory on that is we assume a person is law abiding and non-violent until he proves otherwise.  Then we take away his rights.

But of course, that would be harking back to the days of old before all the pre-emptive right-taking came about in modern politics.

Terry, 230RN

That is all based on one taking personal responsibility for one's actions, which seems to have become something of an taboo idea these days.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
Politico - Hard Left website.

Hard Pass.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
I have to give the author credit for one thing: he speaks of actual compromise. First time I've heard that at all
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
am a gun industry insider, a lifelong gun owner and a vocal advocate for Second Amendment rights. I am a Texan and an American patriot who hauls my family to church every Sunday in a diesel pickup truck, where I sit in the pew and listen to the Word with a 9mm pistol tucked inside the waistband of my fanciest jeans.

Its like he's trying to hard to establish some sort of non-NewYawk bonifides by creating some sort of fictional stereotype.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
Finally had time to read the article. Nothing but a bunch of rehashed FuddNuttery in a shiney new package.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »
I have to give the author credit for one thing: he speaks of actual compromise. First time I've heard that at all

I'm done with compromise from the anti-gun perspective. Compromise is supposed to mean both sides get a little and give a little.  Please tell me what the pro-gun side has gained in any gun control "compromise" in the last 100 years?

We've compromised ourselves to the point where we are on the brink of total loss of our 2nd amendment rights.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
I'm done with compromise from the anti-gun perspective. Compromise is supposed to mean both sides get a little and give a little.  Please tell me what the pro-gun side has gained in any gun control "compromise" in the last 100 years?

We've compromised ourselves to the point where we are on the brink of total loss of our 2nd amendment rights.

This.

I want my damn cake back. All of it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?