Author Topic: Seattle Beats California  (Read 3263 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Seattle Beats California
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
Looks like Seattle beat the state of CA regarding banning plastic straws. They took it a step further and are banning plastic utensils.

While there are some options for straws (I seem to remember using paper straws when I was a kid), how do you replace plastic utensils? Not that I would buy a salad from McDonald's, but if someone does, are they supposed to use their hands? I eat at plenty of Mexican and other very casual places where you order at the counter and can eat there or in some "community eating area" shared by other businesses. Do they have to supply metal utensils that they then have to constantly clean? Between that and theft, the monetary loss could add up quick. Or maybe people have to show up with their own utensils.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/02/seattle-bans-plastic-straws-utensils-becoming-first-major-us-city-to-do-so.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Seattle Beats California
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
Don't you know that eating products grown in or on the earth is rape of the blessed Earth mother?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »
Just puree everything together, and suck it down through a paper straw.

This is a good sign from Seattle, though. I mean, they must have solved that homeless problem, if they're moving on to this.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
Hopefully, some of the Republican mayors around the country will declare their cities as sanctuaries for plastic utensils.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
Looks like Seattle beat the state of CA regarding banning plastic straws. They took it a step further and are banning plastic utensils.

While there are some options for straws (I seem to remember using paper straws when I was a kid), how do you replace plastic utensils? Not that I would buy a salad from McDonald's, but if someone does, are they supposed to use their hands? I eat at plenty of Mexican and other very casual places where you order at the counter and can eat there or in some "community eating area" shared by other businesses. Do they have to supply metal utensils that they then have to constantly clean? Between that and theft, the monetary loss could add up quick. Or maybe people have to show up with their own utensils.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07/02/seattle-bans-plastic-straws-utensils-becoming-first-major-us-city-to-do-so.html

Chopsticks.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »
The Seattle food services establishments are going to be giving out compostable straws and utensils, like these from Costco:  https://www.costco.com/Eco-Kloud-Compostable-Fork%2C-1000-count--.product.11657891.html

The problem is that they don't compost particularly well, and there is a dearth of commercial compost facilities that will take them.  A lot of people think they will just end up in the trash, where they take a long time to break down.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
The Seattle food services establishments are going to be giving out compostable straws and utensils, like these from Costco:  https://www.costco.com/Eco-Kloud-Compostable-Fork%2C-1000-count--.product.11657891.html

The problem is that they don't compost particularly well, and there is a dearth of commercial compost facilities that will take them.  A lot of people think they will just end up in the trash, where they take a long time to break down.

Kinda funny. I read the utensil description at the link and on the face of it, every quality they list that makes them useable is something that, as you say, would make them not particularly well-suited to biodegradation. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
^
Kinda funny. I read the utensil description at the link and on the face of it, every quality they list that makes them useable is something that, as you say, would make them not particularly well-suited to biodegradation.

How very very odd.  Why do you suppose that is?  >:D
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
"The problem is that they don't compost particularly well, and there is a dearth of commercial compost facilities that will take them.  A lot of people think they will just end up in the trash, where they take a long time to break down."

That's not a problem at all! Seattle will just pass another law mandating that all facilities accept and deal with this kind of bioplastic.

See? Problem solved! Government IS the answer!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
They could just use them to build housing for all the homeless.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 12:46:35 PM »
Seattle Beats is Merely an Extension of California

Fixed that title for you.  ;)

bob

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
Serious question: What if someone, Average Joe Seattle Citizen say, walked into restaurants and started handing out plastic straws? Would that be illegal?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
The Seattle food services establishments are going to be giving out compostable straws and utensils, like these from Costco:  https://www.costco.com/Eco-Kloud-Compostable-Fork%2C-1000-count--.product.11657891.html

The problem is that they don't compost particularly well, and there is a dearth of commercial compost facilities that will take them.  A lot of people think they will just end up in the trash, where they take a long time to break down.

Given that I remember a documentary where they unearthed a hot dog, presumably from some time in the '50s, while excavating a sanitary landfill, that didn't look any less edible than when it went in, a 'long time' would be accurate.

They could just use them to build housing for all the homeless.

What's the sense in that?

I remember reading that one city, I think it was LA, had somebody building "tiny houses" for the homeless.  Nice looking if basic structures, I'd say about the size of the sleeper compartment on trucks.  Room for a small bed, a bit of desk and shelf space. Problem?  The city was condemning and hauling them away as 'hazardous' to the homeless using them for shelter.

I mean, I start getting a mite concerned when you're spending more trying to drive the homeless out of the area than, you know, actually getting them housed. 

We wouldn't need all those "subtle" and expensive anti-homeless measures if we put the money instead towards addressing the problems.  Of course, fixing the rules so that housing could be built affordably for them again would help even more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
We wouldn't need all those "subtle" and expensive anti-homeless measures if we put the money instead towards addressing the problems.  Of course, fixing the rules so that housing could be built affordably for them again would help even more.

I think even Warren Buffet's modular home companies have 500sq ft units in the $20K range. Tiny houses seem to go for at least triple that, and are often much smaller. Affordable manufacturing means for housing are there, but don't seem to be utilized much. I saw in Boise they have a couple of small apartment complexes going up that are made of shipping containers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »
. . .  We wouldn't need all those "subtle" and expensive anti-homeless measures if we put the money instead towards addressing the problems. 
Water cannons? With soapy water and a de-lousing agent? To be used 1 week after passing out one-way bus tickets to San Francisco, Chicago, and NYC?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »

Paper straws? ???
If they are forced to use metal utensils, I wonder how much extra water will now get used.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
Just use sharpened chopsticks and stab your food! Slicing might be a problem, though. And soups. And applesauce. And peas.

Okay, I've not thought this through completely.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »
Paper straws? ???

Gall darned young whippersnappers:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
Chopsticks.

https://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/disposable-chopsticks-strip-asian-forests/

Each year, the equivalent of 3.8 million trees go into the manufacture of about 57 billion disposable pairs of chopsticks in China, according to statistics from that nation’s national forest bureau. About 45 percent of disposable chopsticks are made from trees like cotton wood, birch, and spruce, while the remainder are made from bamboo.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
I think even Warren Buffet's modular home companies have 500sq ft units in the $20K range. Tiny houses seem to go for at least triple that, and are often much smaller. Affordable manufacturing means for housing are there, but don't seem to be utilized much. I saw in Boise they have a couple of small apartment complexes going up that are made of shipping containers.

It's not the cost of building the structure.  It's the cost of the land it sits on.

In Seattle 95% of land zoned as residential is restricted to single family detached homes.  With the water and the mountains there's only so much land to build on.   By not allowing much high density housing (especially going vertical) the supply is heavily restricted.  Demand keeps climbing so now a 1300sf nothing special house on a small lot in a not great neighborhood is going to cost $800k+.  Anything you would actually want for your family is even more.

The structure, even a really, really nice one, is peanuts compared to the land.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
Has anyone done any sort of survey of the public on this issue?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

Has anyone done any sort of survey of the public on this issue?

:rofl: :rofl:
When did libtard politicians start caring about what the peasants thought?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
It's not the cost of building the structure.  It's the cost of the land it sits on.

In Seattle 95% of land zoned as residential is restricted to single family detached homes.  With the water and the mountains there's only so much land to build on.   By not allowing much high density housing (especially going vertical) the supply is heavily restricted.  Demand keeps climbing so now a 1300sf nothing special house on a small lot in a not great neighborhood is going to cost $800k+.  Anything you would actually want for your family is even more.

The structure, even a really, really nice one, is peanuts compared to the land.
Available land is only part of it.  The zoning you mention is part of the other side.  The liberals who run those cities create the real estate problem (in part) through multiple levels of regulation that restrict potential solutions and make them more expensive to implement.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
Well, now my old hometown has beat Seattle. Jail time for plastic straws.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/07/24/iowahawk-dreams-big-as-santa-barbara-ups-the-ante-on-seattles-plastic-straw-ban/

Also, a quote from the local rag there. Please note bolded text:

In years past, such bans would have occasioned serious debate in addition to heartfelt theatrics. But with the exception of Councilmember Randy Rowse ​— ​who supported banning Styrofoam but not straws ​— ​the vote was unanimous. For the majority of the council, the only question was how best to wordsmith the ordinance language to tighten the exemptions. Rowse sought to draw a softer regulatory line but got nowhere for his efforts. “Let’s invite people to care about the environment like [people] do,” he said. “They’ll exceed your expectations every time.” People should be given the opportunity to display “good behavior,” he said, before the council resorted to Plan B: “You better do the right thing, or we’re going to come after you.”

Councilmember Jason Dominguez countered that “we can’t always count on common sense,” adding, “We have to regulate every aspect of people’s lives.”

https://www.independent.com/news/2018/jul/20/banned-santa-barbara/