Author Topic: Tortoise sanctuary can use help/Carr fire stuff.  (Read 1138 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Tortoise sanctuary can use help/Carr fire stuff.
« on: July 28, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
I know this is a long-shot, but I'll post it anyway...

A few hours north of me there is a devastating fire that is not anywhere close to being under control. And it is driving people away from their homes and businesses.

This group who run a tortoise sanctuary need some help. (As do a number of other groups, of course). In addition to material and cash help, I believe they are also looking for people to foster some or most or all of their tortoises so if that's something you have room for and you're close enough to make it happen, please contact them.  

I currently do not have the means to help them so I pass this on to do something.

There is also a general need for aid to the afflicted humans and numerous pets and livestock but tortoises are easy to help with in a way that horses or burros or someone else's cats and the like are not.  

WE ARE IN DIRE NEED! THE CARR FIRE IS BARRELING DOWN ON US! We need to borrow a truck to keep hooked to the tortoise evacuation trailer. Both of our trucks broke down. We have our motorhome hooked to one of the trailers.
We haven't wanted to alarm you guys but this fire is out of control and erratic. It grew 40,000 acres over night and is 81,000 acres now with only 5 percent containment. We are on day 6 of this fire with no promise in sight. It is growing 20,000-40,000 acres every 12 hours. It has destroyed 500 homes and 5,000 threatened. 38,000 people have been evacuated and we are next. The weather has been 111-115 making it that much worse. It is staying in the triple digits for the next week. The fire is 5-7 miles from us. This fire made it's own tornado and threw a burning piece of wood a mile. Spot fires are everywhere. It is raining ash here. 34,000 Fire personal are concentrating on evacuating the people because the fast spread and not fighting the fire. It has jumped the Sacramento River several times. They are concentrating on not letting it jump HWY 5. We have already lost 3 fire personal and 3 people are missing. Donations needed are: A donated or borrowed Truck, money to buy Mazuri Tortoise Diet or buy it on Chewy.com and send it to 3365 East St. Anderson, CA 96007 our Paypal is turtles@shasta.com Please send it friends and family so they don't charge us. Go to KRCR News 7 to keep an eye on this Carr Fire. https://krcrtv.com/…/firefighters-battling-multiple-fires-n… Please pray for us and our shelled babies. We will try our best to answer questions. Text 530-941-0544
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:08:13 PM by Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
Re: Tortoise sanctuary can use help/Carr fire stuff.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
According to local officials some airdrops have had to be called off because idiots are flying their drones over the targeted areas.

What should be the punishment for being caught doing that? My first instinct is something medieval.

Also looting is a problem. The evacuated area is huge and there's not enough cops so scumbags are taking advantage. I know what the penalty for looting used to be, but that seems to have changed.

There are six known deaths. Four civilians and two firefighters. But I've heard rumors of more. Hopefully not, though. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »
Shoot the ***** drones outta the sky.    

It would  be nice if their control frequencies could be jammed ...... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
Shoot the ***** drones outta the sky.    

It would  be nice if their control frequencies could be jammed ...... >:D

What's the  frequency, Kenneth?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
According to local officials some airdrops have had to be called off because idiots are flying their drones over the targeted areas.

What's stopping them from just dousing the drones?  Proximity to the controllers?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:50:56 PM »
What's stopping them from just dousing the drones?  Proximity to the controllers?

Can't assume that the drone is at a lower altitude than the aircraft.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:21:14 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »
What's the  frequency, Kenneth?

27.995545  khz.   FM.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »
Can't assume that the drone is at a lower altitude then the aircraft.

^^^ This.

It would be majorly ungood if a firefighter aircraft were brought down due to a collision with a drone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Last night it was 5% contained, this morning it's 20% contained. That is fantastic work!

Some evacuation orders are being lifted.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
35% contained.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »
Good news!  After four days of pushing hard, the tortoise herd is now sixty-three feet from the sanctuary and making record time.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
Good news!  After four days of pushing hard, the tortoise herd is now sixty-three feet from the sanctuary and making record time.

:lol:

Just imagine if that species was migratory.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 06:13:49 PM »
:lol:

Just imagine if that species was migratory.

Summers on the north side of Lewiston Avenue, and winters on the south side?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
41% contained. Just claimed its seventh victim.

Started because a trailer blew a tire and the sparks from the rim started some nearby vegetation on fire and from that grew this.   

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 01:09:03 AM »
Over 70% contained now.

One of the firefighters who was killed was driving when his car was engulfed by a fire tornado.

Cal Fire said the fire whirl that trapped Stoke was 1,000 feet in diameter at its base and reached wind speeds between 136 mph and 165 mph.

Damn.