Author Topic: New Jersey to subsidize local press  (Read 1073 times)

MechAg94

• friend
New Jersey to subsidize local press
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/new-jersey-civic-info-bill/

I saw this first as a link to the WSJ, but I can see the article there.  This looks like one about the same subject.  
Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy is on the verge of signing a bill into law that would create a nonprofit group that would funnel $5 million in public money into local news organizations.

The “Civic Info Bill,” as it’s called, would aim to encourage more local news reporting and soften the blow that the last decade of budget slashes, staff layoffs, newsroom closings and media consolidations have had on news coverage of small communities and cities across the state and the nation.

I would be curious about the legal issues if this were to happen.  Once they take public money, doesn't that open them up to some liability/govt regs since they would be govt funded?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: New Jersey to subsidize local press
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
How about the possibility of the paper becoming a local Pravda?  Once it start taking govt. payoff,  might it not be expected to tow the line the government lays down for it?

If the newspaper goes belly-up, tough.  I DO NOT WANT MY TAX DOLLARS FUNDING A .... "FREE" PRESS! :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Reduces the effort to attract readers and advertisers by producing quality content. My local paper is failing. I live in a small, some would say dying community. But it has always had a weekly paper. Last three years have been wall to wall anti pipeline press since that's the big thing here. No balance whatsoever. I assume readership is down, I know mine is because on 1 January the stand price went from $2 which I frequently paid, to $5 of which I will never pay unless my kid is on the front page. Rate base, what's that? Media sells ads to make money and they sell ads based on their viewers readers whatever and they get those with good content. Can't do that? Please go fail quietly.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 02:17:45 AM »
If the newspaper goes belly-up, tough.  I DO NOT WANT MY TAX DOLLARS FUNDING A .... "FREE" PRESS! :mad:

It wouldn't be free press though.  It would be, as noted, beholden to the government rules regarding things like local reporting.

It's one of those tragedy of the commons issues.  "Everybody" benefits from the local reporting, too many want it for free.

I will note that Clear Channel owning "most" radio stations has caused issues when there are local disasters, like when there was a big chemical spill in Minot, ND.  It was big locally, not nationally, and the emergency services people couldn't get through to somebody to do some local emergency reporting, like where to stay the hell away from, in reasonable time.  It cost some additional injuries.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »
I was doing fine with this article until I hit this...

"We already have national taxpayer- funded news organizations like NPR and PBS that have operated for a half-century without political bias. "

BBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

*expletive deleted*ing NPR could be the broadcast version of The Daily Worker.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:07 AM »
It wouldn't be free press though.  It would be, as noted, beholden to the government rules regarding things like local reporting.

It's one of those tragedy of the commons issues.  "Everybody" benefits from the local reporting, too many want it for free.

I will note that Clear Channel owning "most" radio stations has caused issues when there are local disasters, like when there was a big chemical spill in Minot, ND.  It was big locally, not nationally, and the emergency services people couldn't get through to somebody to do some local emergency reporting, like where to stay the hell away from, in reasonable time.  It cost some additional injuries.

That's why I used quotes.  ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
Pravda means truth.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
Pravda means truth.

I know...ironic, ain't it? :laugh:

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
As sad as it sounds, govt. subsidies won't change the reporting at all.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »
As sad as it sounds, govt. subsidies won't change the reporting at all.
Sure it will - the rare articles critical of D's or praising R's will be eliminated.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
Sure it will - the rare articles critical of D's or praising R's will be eliminated.

^^^ Indubitably.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design