Author Topic: Attempted murder isn't what it used to be  (Read 1169 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Attempted murder isn't what it used to be
« on: August 08, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »
Eric Clanton, the "professor" and Antifa thug who assaulted some folks with a bicycle lock, pled "no contest" to ONE misdemeanor count and gets 3 years' probation:

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/08/08/eric-clanton-takes-3-year-probation-deal-in-berkeley-rally-bike-lock-assault-case

A former East Bay college philosophy professor who was charged with four counts of felony assault with a deadly weapon, causing great bodily injury, has taken a deal resulting in three years of probation for an attack at a Berkeley protest last year, court records reveal.

Eric Clanton had been linked by police to violent assaults with a metal bike lock during a “free speech” rally in Berkeley on April 15, 2017. Before his arrest, Clanton had been “outed” online, on the website 4chan, as someone who used a bike lock to strike a man in the head. The assault was captured in a video clip (below) that drew widespread attention and anger after it was posted on YouTube.

As this is Berkeley, the leniency does not surprise me, but that does not diminish my disgust at the outcome.

Best comment on the article so far:

Well, now that we know that there will be no serious consequences for attempted murder, I think we are about to see some real crap fly on the streets of berkeley. I know there are people cheering this as a victory for "their side" but this is how anarchy starts. It a sad day for all that this an happening in America. But hey, you'll still do six months for using a plastic straw.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Attempted murder isn't what it used to be
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
This crap won't stop until at least a few of the antifa types get capped in self defense.  Though I bet any righteous shooter still gets ruined.   The process, after all, is the punishment in many cases.
Formerly sumpnz

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
that was a very cowardly sneak attack.
disgusting, but hardly surprising, I guarantee he would lose a fair fight with most guys his age/weight.
hopefully the sentence is only the beginning of his consequences
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
that was a very cowardly sneak attack.
disgusting, but hardly surprising, I guarantee he would lose a fair fight with most guys his age/weight.
hopefully the sentence is only the beginning of his consequences

Civil suit seems the next logical step but can you get a change of venue for that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »
This crap won't stop until at least a few of the antifa types get capped in self defense.  Though I bet any righteous shooter still gets ruined.   The process, after all, is the punishment in many cases.

Yup. This guy is a perfect example of an entitled ahole who simply needs the crap beaten out of him to teach him a lesson. Until that happens, he'll continue to think it's cool to do what he does, because there are no real consequences. Once someone does beat his ass, that guy will get punished, and this joker will be screaming the loudest for maximum punishment.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »
The worst element of this outcome is that ALL felony charges were dropped/dismissed, and all he's guilty of is a single misdemeanor. He should have gotten at least one felony conviction on his record.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »
By failing to prosecute his crimes, the county condones his actions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »
The left and the antifa types seem to want violent anarchy.
I'm not particularly opposed to giving them a solid helping of what they are asking for.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:04:56 AM »
Is this really that unusual?

The cops I know often joke that whatever they bust someone for the prosecutor will just accept a plea to aggravated jaywalking.  From what I can tell, prosecutors live and die by their win/loss numbers and even a weak guilty plea is a free win.  It is expensive and risky go to trial and if they can possibly avoid it they will.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
By failing to prosecute his crimes, the county condones his actions.

Is this really that unusual?

The cops I know often joke that whatever they bust someone for the prosecutor will just accept a plea to aggravated jaywalking.  From what I can tell, prosecutors live and die by their win/loss numbers and even a weak guilty plea is a free win.  It is expensive and risky go to trial and if they can possibly avoid it they will.

Both are true, sadly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
by refusing a vigorous prosecution, they're setting the stage for vigorous self defense.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
by refusing a vigorous prosecution, they're setting the stage for vigorous self defense.

Which will likely be vigorously prosecuted persecuted.

Samuel Adams