Author Topic: Interesting account of mortgage shenanigans during the housing bust.  (Read 682 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
One could say this sort of thing caused the bust.

And I don't think I'd ever heard of MERS before. Maybe that's something that needs to go away.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Million Dollar Brownstone
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:56:05 AM »
Interesting story.  Especially the part about MERS and the document "fixers" regarding the housing market bubble and collapse in 2008-2009.  (This popped up as one of the three stories suggested "for" me by Firefox when I opened a new tab.)

https://theoutline.com/post/5807/the-million-dollar-brownstone-that-no-one-owned?zd=2&zi=zq6wnf3t
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: The Million Dollar Brownstone
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
Formerly sumpnz

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Interesting account of mortgage shenanigans during the housing bust.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
Good read
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
I read the following somewhere a few years ago:  Person buys house, finance company/bank/ holds a mortgage.  Fannie or Freddie insure the mortgage for the bank/finance co.  Person defaults on the mortgage.  Bank takes over the house.  Fannie or Freddie pays the bank the full value of the outstanding mortgage.  Bank sells the house for whatever they can get for it. 

I don't know if what I read was accurate or true.  If it is, then the bank/finance company got the full value of what was owed plus it pocketed whatever they were able to get for the property when they sold it.  Seems to me that the bank made out like a bandit.   
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:46:50 PM »
PMI, or the equivalent, is supposed to only pay the bank the difference between what the house sells for and the balance owed (plus accumulated late fees, back interest, foreclosure fees, etc.). 

In the event the bank actually collects more than it's legally entitled to keep the excess is supposed to be given to the foreclosed person.
Formerly sumpnz