Author Topic: Lazy Marines  (Read 592 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Lazy Marines
« on: August 29, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/08/29/marines-3d-print-concrete-barracks-in-just-40-hours.html

Using Computer Aided Design software on a 10-year-old computer, the concrete was pushed through a print head and layered repeatedly to build the barracks room walls. Friedell said that the job took 40 hours because Marines were carefully monitoring the project and continually filling the printer with concrete. However, if a robot was used to do the mixing and pumping, the building could be built in 24 hours, he added.

Normally, it takes 10 Marines five days to construct a barracks hut out of wood.

What some people won't do to get out of a little work.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Lazy Marines
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 04:50:02 PM »
I assume the goal is to go a bit faster than this.  I would have thought they could pour a concrete building in less time than that using some pre-fab forms (with a rebar option).  And does this time count installing windows(?), lights, roof, etc?  And I guess the foundation was already there as well. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
I assume the goal is to go a bit faster than this.  I would have thought they could pour a concrete building in less time than that using some pre-fab forms (with a rebar option).  And does this time count installing windows(?), lights, roof, etc?  And I guess the foundation was already there as well.  

According to their computer models, they could pour it 26% faster, if a guy in a Smokey-the-Bear hat stood around, yelling "Move, move, move!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
What speed if he is yelling, "Move maggots."
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »

According to their computer models, they could pour it 26% faster, if a guy in a Smokey-the-Bear hat stood around, yelling "Move, move, move!"

Never mind the machinery can only move so fast...

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
This HAD to have been created by a group of Lance Criminals
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)