Author Topic: Crud. What a week. Just lost Frankentooth...  (Read 1687 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Crud. What a week. Just lost Frankentooth...
« on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:30 PM »
My one molar that was first root canaled in 1977, then again in 1991, and which was surgically worked on three times over the years.

It's been unstable for a long time, and I should have gotten it out a long time ago.

Now I need to find a reliable dentist to do the final root removal and either build me a bridge or do an implant.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Crud. What a week. Just lost Frankentooth...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »
If you were around the P.R. of Boulder, I'd suggest mine.  Good chairside manner, more than competent with the drill when needed and has cute assistants (at least he did at my last checkup).

Bummer about the tooth. Such is no fun.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
Arrrgh...you bring this up now...

I lost the exposed part of an incisor to my brother's negligence with a bb gun at age 12. Two apicoectomies and 2 root canals plus about 36 years, I'm forced into considering a bonded bridge for it and the other incisor, which was fractured at the same time and subsequently 'died'.

In the last 3 years the post that secures what passes for a crown has worked loose about 4 times and has been re-cemented with the caveat that 'this ain't gonna last'. 

Go for an implant if the bone underneath is any good. The technology is there- we can make it better...etc.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 01:03:08 AM »
+1 onGo for the implant, the problem with a bridge is they want to mess with the integrity of the teeth on either side of the missing tooth which IMHO I would rather leave intact. It WILL take about a year before the whole procedure is complete though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:09:56 AM »
Definitely go for the implant. I had two incisors done about 15 years ago, and even with the bone graft it was worth it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:18:21 AM »
I don't think my insurance covers implants. That's the huge sticking point. I know that implants are the way to go, but dammit, I don't have $6,000 to $8,000 sitting around in my shoes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 04:27:45 AM »
True, it aint cheap. Check the cost though, mine was like $3000 for the post and then ~$1000 for the tooth itself. I actually borrowed the first 3 grand. I always thought I should have a bumper sticker that says, "My othe car is in my mouth"   cheesy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:26:16 AM »
I don't think my insurance covers implants. That's the huge sticking point. I know that implants are the way to go, but dammit, I don't have $6,000 to $8,000 sitting around in my shoes.
Won't your insurance pay for part of the cost?

At your age, I'd find a way to swing the implant.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55:48 AM »
"At your age, I'd find a way to swing the implant."

One more age-related crack like that and YOU'RE going to need implants...  laugh

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 06:02:09 AM »
One more age-related crack like that and YOU'RE going to need implants...  laugh

That was a compliment.  IMO, the 40s are too young to have a bridge.  If you were 60, I'd say save your money and get a bridge.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 06:54:54 AM »

That was a compliment.  IMO, the 40s are too young to have a bridge.  If you were 60, I'd say save your money and get a bridge.

Chris

OK. Apology accepted. Cheesy

Yes, I agree with you.

I'm trying to figure out if Cigna covers any of the cost of an implant, but their goddamned website is a freakshow of inoperative links and links that cause IE to have a stroke, crash into a bridge pier, and die messily.

I did manage to change my dentist, which I've been meaning to do. I got REALLY sick and tired of every time I went to this dentist seeing a whole new slate of names on the door and NEVER seeing the same dentist twice. EVER.

I want a dentist with whom I can develop a solid patient-provider relationship, and this revolving door crap was just a little too annoying. Well, no, it wasn't.

It was exceptionally annoying.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »
Could a combination of your health and dental insurance cover it? See if you can get your primary MD can get creative, refer you to a oral surgeon for consultation?

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 10:21:14 AM »
Nope, I've looked into that.

There's no underlying medical necessity that would trigger my major medical.

My plan does NOT cover implants.

I've got two options...

1. Bridge it, and when the bridge failes X number of years from now, implant.

2. Get the remaining roots removed, wait out the rest of the year, change my insurance, then have it implanted.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 01:26:44 PM »
The same tooth got a root canal twice?

You have my sympathies.  Sometime last fall, the last remaining (as it turned out) good tooth holding up my bridge broke.  This bridge spanned all 4 upper incisors.  I've got a denture now, that really isn't any good for anything except for not scaring the customers -- social purposes only.  If I were to go with a bridge, it would be immense.  I may go for implants someday, if I get rich, but I've got a lot of other dental work ahead of that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
hell get 'em all pulled, get steel implants

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:54 PM »
"...that cause IE to have a stroke, crash into a bridge pier, and die messily. "

Ugh. I pulled a dead guy out of his Jeep who did that. I can only imagine what IE would have looked like. Must have been v.7.

You could always get them all pulled and get full plates (Roebucks) if the cost bothers ya that much Cheesy

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 03:23:43 PM »
Upper or lower? I lost #14 to "resorption" back in '92; the dentist told me that the bone of the lower jaw is much more dense, and therefore more suitable to implants, than the upper. #14 is in the upper left rear, so I had to go with a bridge.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
Heck, go for the platinum "grille"  cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:37 PM »
Upper or lower? I lost #14 to "resorption" back in '92; the dentist told me that the bone of the lower jaw is much more dense, and therefore more suitable to implants, than the upper. #14 is in the upper left rear, so I had to go with a bridge.

Upper right.

"The same tooth got a root canal twice?"

Yes, 1976, using an old method that failed.

Second time in 1991, using a new method.

Unfortunately, I still had several abycesses after that. Turns out that my body was absorbing the root tip of the one root and it kept causing abycesses. Three surgeries, the last one taking out the entire root. That was a stop gap, and the Dr. that did it told me I'd have to consider replacement alternatives sooner rather than later.

Oh, did I mention the titanium post and a second cap in 1997?

Now you know why I call it Frankentooth.