Author Topic: Gas clothes dryer issue  (Read 479 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Gas clothes dryer issue
« on: October 21, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
Any help would be appreciated. 

I have a Whirlpool gas clothes dryer that doesn’t seem to get warm enough.  When starting the dryer everything seems to work fine, the drum turns for a few seconds then the igniter glows, then the gas comes on for close to a minute before it turns back off.  Then after another minute or two the igniter glows and the gas comes on for close to a minute before turning back off.  This cycle repeats.  The problem is that it takes 2-3 hours to dry what used to take less than an hour. 

I’ve tested the Thermal Fuse, Radiant Flame Sensor, Cycling Thermostat, and two other components on the back that seem to be some kind of thermostat or sensors and they all show continuity.  The coils seem to be working as well because the 2-prong coil reads 1,000-1,300 ohms. The 3-prong coil reads 1,300-1,400 ohms across prongs 1 and 2, and 500-600 ohms across prongs 1 and 3.  I got these numbers from a parts website in reference to the coils for my model of dryer.

What I’m wondering is where to start?  It seems like everything is working, just not for long enough, or perhaps not hot enough.  Since everything seems to test OK I’m wondering what component is the most likely culprit?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

grampster

• friend
Re: Gas clothes dryer issue
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »
How old is it?  If it's more than 10 years old, it's probably more efficient and financially wiser than trying to cobble up a repair.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
Post a photo of the schematic.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
Have you pulled it apart and given every thing a very thorough cleaning and vacuuming?

It could be something as simple as a lint build up causing it to think that it's overheating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 07:47:58 AM »
Have you pulled it apart and given every thing a very thorough cleaning and vacuuming?

It could be something as simple as a lint build up causing it to think that it's overheating.

Good point.

Is the vent pipe clear and is the flapper in the vent on the outside wall moving freely?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:59:52 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
Another vote for flame sensor or blocked vent.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

NickySantoro

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
I the vent isn't plugged, consider the hi-temp limit switch.