Author Topic: LED Headlights  (Read 2701 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
LED Headlights
« on: October 22, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
Last week another low-beam bulb burned out on my Subaru. I've had it since December 2015, and that was going to be the 4th set of headlights I've put into it since I bought it.

So I decided to give LED headlights a try. I bought a set of Lasfit CL6 H11s from Amazon for about $30. Good reviews, but not a lot of pertinent information on installation, potential issues, etc.

Well, they are a LOT bigger than the standard halogen bulbs. They have a large heat sink and a cooling fan on the back, and as I suspected, that was going to cause all sort of problems with the factory dust covers, as in... they're not going to fit back on. And even if they do, they won't allow the fan and heat sink to do with job.

So, another order to Amazon to buy rubber boot dust covers that will allow the heat sink and cooling fan to stick out the back of the boot and thus cool the bulbs properly.

They came yesterday, and were equally a huge pain in the ass to get installed properly, again because of the size of the bulb and also because of the very tight confines under the Forester's hood.

I finally got them in place (I think, I need to check to make sure they've not worked loose).

I REALLY like the light that these bulbs put out. They're 6000K color, which is really white, a lot whiter than the halogens I've been using. They're also 7,600 lumens (3,800 lumens per bulb), while most halogen headlight bulbs only produce in the 2,800 lumen range.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: LED Headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
I like LED lighting a lot in cars, especially as a retrofit for Halogens.

I converted my old F150 over to LED's and really liked them, and I plan on doing the new work truck soon.  There's a lot of crappy LED bulbs out there, though.  You have to pay pretty close attention to the design of the chips and where that is in the reflector housing to get good consistent beam patterns.

Not that it helps you now, since you got yours in, but there are also a bunch of different heatsink designs to look at.  Some work better than others in a given application.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »
Good to know.
I've burned through 3 sets of headlight bulbs in my 2014 Legacy. Its a big enough pain in the ass changing them that it makes a lot of sense to change to LED.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Well, the one rubber boot (dust cover) has slipped exactly where I was afraid it would. I wasn't able to get it behind the mounting ring. I'm going to have to pull the bulb, see if I can seat the boot, and then put the bulb back in.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »
I had always been under the impression that throwing an LED emitter into a reflector for incandescent bulbs was not the optimum way to do that. I know when I put LEDs (entire assembly) into my motorcycle they have a very definite cutoff on top of the beam. Does putting the LED in existing auto reflectors scatter the light too much? Just wondering.

bob

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
Good to know.
I've burned through 3 sets of headlight bulbs in my 2014 Legacy. Its a big enough pain in the ass changing them that it makes a lot of sense to change to LED.

Curious how many miles you have or if you idle a lot in traffic?  I have 60K miles on my 2013 outback and am still on the original headlights.  They are always on.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:17:38 PM »
I had always been under the impression that throwing an LED emitter into a reflector for incandescent bulbs was not the optimum way to do that. I know when I put LEDs (entire assembly) into my motorcycle they have a very definite cutoff on top of the beam. Does putting the LED in existing auto reflectors scatter the light too much? Just wondering.

bob

Sometimes.  The trick is to look closely at the LED's in the bulb and get them as close to possible to the location and shape of the filament in a halogen bulb.  As is often the case, the cheap ones don't do it as well.

So for example:

These COB LED's are probably meh.  They are the right shape, but too big, and so will have some beam scattering in the reflector.

These are the wrong shape and have a little silicon diffuser, and probably have some really weird dark spots and a so-so cut-off.

And these have quality Philips chips and closely mimic an incandescent filament, and probably work very well in a reflector designed for a halogen bulb.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
Curious how many miles you have or if you idle a lot in traffic?  I have 60K miles on my 2013 outback and am still on the original headlights.  They are always on.

Same here. Mine are always on, and I was gearing up to put in set 4 in less than 3 years. No thanks.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:01:08 PM »

105,000 miles as of this morning- almost all of it freeway miles. Some of the surface roads (the last mile or two to work) can be pretty rough and poorly maintained, not sure if that affects headlamp life, but I'm guessing that it does.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:13:37 AM »
 I use standard headlights in my old 4Runner.  Only have had to replace one bulb in the past 13 years.   I do have a set of Hella driving lights on the bumper.   Don't know the lumens,  but they use 100W bulbs.   I put  a set of LED lights in the factory holes in the bumper as well.  These are more like the little driving lights on newer cars,  and just help with fog and such.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
I think in the case of LED headlights and aux lights, you get what you pay for.
I have a pair of KC Gravity replacement LED headlights in my online shopping cart for the vehicle I hope to buy in the next 2 weeks (a top secret deal I've been working on for almost 4 weeks). Over $600 for 2 but I've seen the difference and they are awesome illuminators.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »
So, I'm a good 10 months in with these bulbs. I've used them in just about all weather conditions short of driving snow, and I have to say that I REALLY like them.

The light is strong and white (with lots of privilege), and it makes it a lot easier to pick out the lines on the highway when it's raining. No bobbles of any kind, no perceptible dimming, no strobing.

It's REALLY noticeable when I flick on the high beams, though. The lows are brilliant white and the halogen highs are quite yellow. I've been considering it for awhile, and haven't made it a priority since I dont' use them much, but I'm going to replace the high beams with LEDs too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »
Ordered the LED high beams a few minutes ago.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Our Escape has the "projector" lights and we love them with one exception, the cut off of the beam at the top edge of the low beams is VERY Clean, Sounds good, right? Try to read street signs at night when there is NO light above the drastic cut from Great, Bright, light and total darkness. Tempted to mount some wide beam LEDs on the roof rack.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
I love the projector HID's on my 335. Those and my wife's Mazda 3 HID's that combine good optics and the ability to swivel convinced me that the idea of $400 OEM headlight "assemblies " wasn't ripping me off.

I have LED retrofits in my 04 F150, and I like them a lot, as well.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:11 PM »
I love the projector HID's on my 335. Those and my wife's Mazda 3 HID's that combine good optics and the ability to swivel convinced me that the idea of $400 OEM headlight "assemblies " wasn't ripping me off.

I have LED retrofits in my 04 F150, and I like them a lot, as well.

It's odd to me that HID headlights are so popular now, since they're such an old technology, compared to LED. I guess the advantage is the HID's compactness. LEDs can't compete on size.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »
It's odd to me that HID headlights are so popular now, since they're such an old technology, compared to LED. I guess the advantage is the HID's compactness. LEDs can't compete on size.

Mine's a 2014.  The new ones have LED's with dedicated, purpose designed reflectors and housings.

The very newest, coolest high beams are laser based.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 11:30:10 PM »
2013 Ford Escape Titanium for me. Been a good vehicle although I had some stereo/GPS issues that they resolved. Have a ABS issue now BUT, there is a service bulletin on it so they will fix it.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:54:15 AM »
"It's odd to me that HID headlights are so popular now, since they're such an old technology"

Essentially it's an update on the old carbon arc lamp, correct? That that technology has been around since what, the middle 1800s?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 08:51:42 AM »
"It's odd to me that HID headlights are so popular now, since they're such an old technology"

Essentially it's an update on the old carbon arc lamp, correct? That that technology has been around since what, the middle 1800s?

What is old is new again.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »

The very newest, coolest high beams are laser based.

Take a gander at the new laser-based high output flashlights. Damn.   :O

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
How do these higher lumen headlights affect on coming drivers or flooding the car in front of you with too much light.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
How do these higher lumen headlights affect on coming drivers or flooding the car in front of you with too much light.

Well, if you're a complete ahole and don't turn your high beams off, you're going to blind the oncoming driver no matter what.

To be honest, I'd MUCH rather have an LED headlight vechicle approaching me than one equipped with those blue/violet headlights. Those things glare horrifically.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
Well, if you're a complete ahole and don't turn your high beams off, you're going to blind the oncoming driver no matter what.

That's me. I replaced my headlight and driving lights on my motorcycle with LEDs, they stay on high unless it is dark and then it is back and forth depending on oncoming traffic.

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:39 PM »

In properly engineered housing, they are fine.

Then there are systems like this:

https://youtu.be/lxYiiagTI_4