Author Topic: My desktop computer just turned itself into a brick.  (Read 1312 times)

zahc

• friend
My desktop computer just turned itself into a brick.
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:20:29 AM »
My desktop just crashed, I think.

I downloaded this Ubuntu live CD, and I was going to boot from it to see how compatible my hardware was with linux.

So I popped it in, 'Shut down and installed updates', and I was planning on going into the BIOS to set the boot priority to the DVD drive, but when I turned the computer back on...it didn't. Nothing happened, I can't even get into the BIOS. My monitors were hooked up with S-video and HDMI so I dug out a VGA cable and hooked up a single monitor with that, but I still get nothing. Blank screen. What's more, the light on the front of the computer blinks rapidly instead of staying lit.

The fans run. The red LED on the motherboard lights up. The hard drives make a bit of seeking noise, but there are no beeps.

I seriously don't know what to do, except break out the sledgehammer.

I (had been) run(ning) XP pro on a DFIRS482 mATX motherboard.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: My desktop computer just turned itself into a brick.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:32:14 AM »
My first thought is that your motherboard picked an amazingly coincidental time to crap itself.......

Either that or Windows (the incarnation of all that is evil) sensed you were about to start to think about trying something other than your approved, Big Brother issued (at a price just this side of being extortionate), "standard" operating system and decided to wreak havoc upon your computer in an attempt to prevent you from "stealing" from Micro$oft.     grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
Ain't no live CD known to man that can manage to do what you've described.

I'm thinking MoBo or RAM went tango uniform.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 06:13:21 AM »
any POST beeps?? I'm thinking video card went "t.u."
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:14:09 AM »
I vote "power supply"  - they can partially fail, and leave LEDs on the MB illuminated....
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:26 AM »
richyoung:

Yep, that is a good guess, too...and the cheapest & easiest to test/replace.

A cheap, no-name PS ought to cost less than $25 from a discount seller.  Keep the paperwork, though, in case it is not the PS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
I suppose I could break out the voltmeter and see if it's putting out 12v. The BIOS has voltage meters but...

Note, I didn't turn off the PSU when I restarted.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »
Yeah, check the PS. I just had one do that partial power thing a few days ago., First time I've seen it, but it powered the machine on, gave me lights, but fans didn't run and the machine didn't boot up. Swapped out a spare PS I had laying around and all is well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 08:09:46 AM »
the power supply won't work unless connected to the motherboard. you should look for +12, +5, -12 & -5, IIR. They also have power supply testers that cost between $15-20.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »
Computers are fun to shoot at, repeatedly.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
Bummer about the PC.  I've one around here that will not boot either (no POST, no lights, etc) but I'm too lazy to fix it at the moment.

But look at it this way. Better it turns into a brick than a flaming torch.  grin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »
Before you go spending money when you don't know what to spend it on, try resetting the BIOS first. Especially since the last thing you did before it went Tits Up was change the boot up sequence.

Somewhere on your motherboard there should be a set of jumpers labeled "CMOS".
There will be 3 pins on the jumper. With the power off, move the jumper from pin 1 and 2, to pin 2 and 3 (or however they're numbered). Then, after a few seconds, move it back to the original position.

Then try to boot up.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G