Author Topic: Alkaline water is quackery  (Read 1630 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Alkaline water is quackery
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/oct/29/alkaline-water-cure-bs-science-beyonce-tom-brady

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/living-water/

https://www.apswater.com/article.asp?id=198&title=Alkaline+Water+Hoax+is+Simple+Science

I was at a local gun show recently, and one of the table holders was selling a device to create 'alkaline water' for $ 1200 (!). He had many colorful posters and brochures touting the benefits of alkaline water.  I was interested to see that many of the brochures were written by people with no scientific credentials, or were from chiropractors or homeopaths. I have an email in to the gun show management company to ask if they have any criteria for health-related products being sold at their show.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Alkaline water is quackery
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
Ugh.  Alkaline water is, like, so basic.  Oh Em Gee. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:50 AM »
Ugh.  Alkaline water is, like, so basic.  Oh Em Gee. 

Don't quit your day job.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »
So is that like when you are walking through the desert and you come upon the water that has skeletons around it? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
millcreek said,

I have an email in to the gun show management company to ask if they have any criteria for health-related products being sold at their show.

Yes.  They have to have the table fee.

And not to start an argument with  you, but let's keep in mind that a lot of curatives and palliatives in modern practice have come from quite "unscientific" and "folk practice" sources.  

Ascorbic acid and salts of salicylic acid come to mind as examples, of course.

I'm not defending that particular instance, just noting that in essence, engineering begets science as often as science begets engineering.  =D

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Fuh!

I'll stick with my raw water, thank you!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:40:54 AM »
millcreek said,

Yes.  They have to have the table fee.

And not to start an argument with  you, but let's keep in mind that a lot of curatives and palliatives in modern practice have come from quite "unscientific" and "folk practice" sources.  

I'm not defending that particular instance, just noting that in essence, engineering begets science as often as science begets engineering.  =D

Terry

Pretty sure engineering begets science more frequently than vice versa historically.

They are two different sides of the same coin though in regards to technological progress.

I saw a bottle of alkaline water sitting in the break room at work. None of us there knew what its supposed benefits were supposed to be.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Don't quit your day job.

He didn't pass the litmus test.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
Me:
I'm not defending that particular instance, just noting that in essence, engineering begets science as often as science begets engineering.

Ron:
Pretty sure engineering begets science more frequently than vice versa historically.

They are two different sides of the same coin though in regards to technological progress.

I saw a bottle of alkaline water sitting in the break room at work. None of us there knew what its supposed benefits were supposed to be.

The "as often as" was a judgement call on my part as a kind of default.  In actuality, I'm not sure at what point the "begetting" equilibrium lies.  I suspect that this "point" depends a lot on history, as you pointed out.

However, one implication is that most science actually originates from anecdotes.  I think Asimov used the example of science usually starting with the remark, "Gee, that's odd."

The alkaline water keeps some of those darned protons from running around loose in your tummy.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:14:43 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

It's moderately beneficial for people with ulcers or acid reflux.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 11:57:46 AM »
Fuh!

I'll stick with my raw water, thank you!

Be careful raw water can contain Giardiasis or other such diseases.  What you want is safe and clean GMO water.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
Be careful raw water can contain Giardiasis or other such diseases.  What you want is safe and clean GMO water.

LIES! BIG PHARMA/BIG WATER/BIG GOVERNMENT LIES!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 12:18:25 PM »
Nah, what you want is Glutin-free, Organic water...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 12:33:10 PM »
Was this booth next to the guy selling dehydrated emergency water rations?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »

At the store yesterday and I saw a bottle of shampoo with "Gluten Free!" in big, gold-foil letters on the front. Yes, shampoo. Shampoo!

Is there some subset of humanity with an overwhelming urge to drink the stuff... ?  ;/

When the "nitrogen in your tires is de wundefullist!" craze was at full swing I took a special sadistic glee in telling people who'd just announced they spent a hundred bucks on a tire inflation that I used a 78% nitrogen mix that I'd found for free, then watching them go into mental meltdown trying to figure it out.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
"When the "nitrogen in your tires is de wundefullist!" craze was at full swing I took a special sadistic glee in telling people who'd just announced they spent a hundred bucks on a tire inflation that I used a 78% nitrogen mix that I'd found for free, then watching them go into mental meltdown trying to figure it out."

You're an evil little man.

I admire that.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 02:06:15 PM »
I was at a local gun show recently, and one of the table holders was selling a device to create 'alkaline water' for $ 1200 (!). He had many colorful posters and brochures touting the benefits of alkaline water.  I was interested to see that many of the brochures were written by people with no scientific credentials, or were from chiropractors or homeopaths. I have an email in to the gun show management company to ask if they have any criteria for health-related products being sold at their show.

So it mixed some baking soda into the water?  Tell me was he selling very many of these machines?  I feel like I could manufacture something that does the same thing and sells for say....$1000.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »
I used to have horrible digestive problems whenever I traveled. Finally decided that it was because home base was a limestone well of the turn the shower heads into stalactites variety. I was used to drinking this and my stomach was pumping out massive acid to compensate.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 02:16:09 PM »
....and now with added Lithium salts!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
I used to have horrible digestive problems whenever I traveled. Finally decided that it was because home base was a limestone well of the turn the shower heads into stalactites variety. I was used to drinking this and my stomach was pumping out massive acid to compensate.

I break up a Tums tablet and put it in with the ground coffee before turning the coffeepot on.  I've been doing this for so long I've forgotten why.  At this point, it's just superstitious behavior.  I do know that strong coffee from outside sources will give me a headache.

If you want to see some snake-oil type ads, watch TV from Over-The-Air sources.  Right now, there's an ad on the telly for "Super-Beets," which purport to supply you with nitric oxide for heart health.

Last time I had any beets, years ago, they scared the hell out of me when I looked at my turds the next day.

Not sayin' yea and not sayin' nay on the super beets and nitric oxide, but sayin' I'll wait and see.

Terry
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:11:14 PM by 230RN »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 05:31:09 PM »

I love this video in relation to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbFgRv8-Kw

"Herbal medicine has been around for thousands of years.  But then we tested it, and the stuff that worked became medicine."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »
At the store yesterday and I saw a bottle of shampoo with "Gluten Free!" in big, gold-foil letters on the front. Yes, shampoo. Shampoo!

Is there some subset of humanity with an overwhelming urge to drink the stuff... ?  ;/

When the "nitrogen in your tires is de wundefullist!" craze was at full swing I took a special sadistic glee in telling people who'd just announced they spent a hundred bucks on a tire inflation that I used a 78% nitrogen mix that I'd found for free, then watching them go into mental meltdown trying to figure it out.

Brad

Sure, a group has moved on from just eating tide pods.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

Brad

Got you beat. Gluten free DOG SHAMPOO. Uh huh.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »
It's moderately beneficial for people with ulcers or acid reflux.

This is kinda where some of the problems start

"Hey... this helped me with <insert medical problem>. You should try it for <insert whole host of unrelated problems>
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
I liked the stuff we carried on hikes and overnight camping trips when I was a Boy Scout. Dehydrated H2O -- saved a lot of weight in your pack, and when you needed it, you just added water.  =D