Author Topic: Chirping smoke detector 26 feet up  (Read 1564 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Chirping smoke detector 26 feet up
« on: November 12, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
When they built our house in the summer of 2015, a smoke detector was installed at the very peak of the cathedral ceiling, 26 feet from the floor in the front door foyer.  The hardwired smoke detector is now chirping, some 3.5 years after installation. I am assuming it needs a new 9 volt battery backup.  The problem is that I don't have an extension ladder that goes that high.  The saving grace to the situation is that my wife cannot hear the chirping, although I and anyone else coming to the house can hear it.

Is this going to continue chirping forever?  Other than cursing the person who thought it was a good idea to install a smoke detector that high up, is there anything I can do?  I really don't want to buy a 30 foot extension ladder for several hundred dollars and store it for only one use.  I have extension ladders that are long enough already for my required outdoor use on the house.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Chirping smoke detector 26 feet up
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Got a pellet gun?  =D

In all seriousness, I don't think the hardwired ones stop chirping until the backup battery is replaced. My suggestion would be to see if you can rent a ladder* (if you never see the need to owning one of that length), get up there, and disconnect the thing. You can still leave the cover on for aesthetics. Then get yourself a battery smoke detector and mount it in a more reasonable place.

*Or if you can't find one to rent, just bite the bullet and hire a handyman to disconnect it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:03:30 PM »
Oops, I thought this was a “what calibre for...” thread.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
My experience says "Yes, it will go on forever."  Also, note that some smoke detectors will now chirp when the reach the end of their 10 year life.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I have a Mr. Longarm fiberglass extension pole and bulb changing kit that I use for the ceiling bulbs.  I am trying to figure out if there is any sort of attachment that would work for this.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
I have a Mr. Longarm fiberglass extension pole and bulb changing kit that I use for the ceiling bulbs.  I am trying to figure out if there is any sort of attachment that would work for this.

I'm thinking you're out of luck. I've never had a smoke detector where the battery came out or went in easy. In fact many of them have a stupid little rotating battery compartment. I don't see any way for your extension pole to work for that. Also on the hardwired ones, disconnecting often takes two hands.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
Any nearby neighbors that may have a ladder?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
Newer hard-wired smoke detectors are also interconnected. More than likely, disabling one will put the rest of the system into fault mode, and may trigger the entire system.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »

Duct tape and a ball peen hammer.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Any nearby neighbors that may have a ladder?

None with a ladder that high.  Plus, the foyer is about seven feet wide, so I am figuring out that even if I find a long enough ladder, can the base of the ladder be angled out away from the wall a sufficient distance for safety?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:47 PM »
Newer hard-wired smoke detectors are also interconnected. More than likely, disabling one will put the rest of the system into fault mode, and may trigger the entire system.

Ugh. That's a new one on me. Sucks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
I would also add that when they were building the house and running wiring and drywall for the cathedral areas, and doing the repairs from when the tree fell on the house, they had a scaffold to get up that high. They did not do any ladder work.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
Planning on putting Christmas lights or decorations on your house?  Maybe you can kill two birds with one rental.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »
Rent a ladder. Better yet, a scissor lift. 26 feet doesn't seem like much looking up. Looking down off a rickety ladder... ? Different story.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:31:45 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

griz

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »
What Brad said.  People are tempted to do something like this, but 30 feet is in the fatal fall category:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
Also check with your local fire department. Some offer smoke detector battery changing as a public service thing.

... and they have ladders.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
My last 2 chirping smoke alarms needed to have the entire units replaced as they had reached their 10yr life expectancy … most modern household alarms are required to be interconnected which can cause quite a ruckus when all the alarms in the house go off.  I believe you can simply disconnect the alarm from the system and remove the battery to silence it.  I removed the alarms w/o disturbing the rest in the house simply by disconnecting the ones I was replacing.  Took a couple days to get replacements and the other alarms were silent during that period.

[popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
What Brad said.  People are tempted to do something like this, but 30 feet is in the fatal fall category:

Parachute ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »
I guess I am lucky.  My Dad is retired from doing commercial and industrial fire protection stuff.  He has always had his own extension ladders as well as scrap pipe.  Those extension ladders go higher than I would want to climb.  The scissor lift idea is great if you can get it into the house. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 09:25:13 PM »
Wait!  Brainstorm idea!

Make the wall closest to the smoke alarm a climbing wall.  Then climb up and change the battery.  Success!  Thanks me later.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
And I thought the ones mounted on our ~12 foot ceilings were bad.... :facepalm:

Does yours also have a tendency to start chirping at night right after you've just managed to get to sleep?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
I contacted my local fire district.  They are happy to come out with their longer ladders and replace the battery.  I had the thought of posting this on our neighborhood FB page to see if we can get a bunch of people who need this done.  I know I have several neighbors with the same floor plan. I would feel better about taking an engine out of service for more than just me.  I am going to try to arrange a weekend date for a week out or so.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
you ought to see if you can replace it with a 10 year battery smoke detector
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »

I stopped at Lowe's on the way home, and they were all out of the 10 year lithium 9 volt batteries, so I ordered a two-pack from Amazon.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »

Yup, that's what I do now. Some of the First Alert ones will even fit right into the same mounting plate as the hardwired ones (if First Alert), so just twist old housing off, new housing on, and no drilling.