Author Topic: Update on my straight razor experience  (Read 830 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Update on my straight razor experience
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:47:50 AM »
I posted a question concerning straight-razor shaving a while ago and figured I’d bring up this old topic for those considering the switch from an electric razor or multi-bladed contraption to a traditional straight razor.

Here’s the original post:
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=1294.0

Here’s the update:
I've been using a straight razor exclusively now for 18 months and couldn't be happier! 
Sure, there's a learning curve and I didn't experience really nice shaves until the second week.  Now I expect (and get) a great shave every day and stubble doesn't become noticeable until it's time to shave again. It also no longer takes half an hour to shave.  smiley
I'll admit I went on a buying spree and purchased about a dozen new old-stock razors off e-bay and use only 4 of them regularly (I'm quite partial to the Swedish Eskilstuna razors), but that's part of the learning experience I'm sure.  Plus, they don’t exactly depreciate in value these days.

I still haven't purchased that "new" straight that I mentioned wanting to buy in my first post, even though I still have my heart set on a Theirs-Issard 6/8 with olivewood handle... but I can't possibly justify the $175 when my Swedish and English (Sheffield) 60-year-old Ebay specials give such nice shaves.
The new DOVO I mentioned purchasing in my first post will give a decent shave, but it simply cannot give an excellent shave on-par with the Swedes and Brits regardless how many times I hone it. There's simply something different with the steel....  It'll work in a pinch, but my older razors put the quality of shave to shame.  It also seems to need more stropping before being ready for a shave.  Nothing against Solingen steel, I’m sure DOVO doesn’t offer the best example.

I had to buy a better brush as the once I got just didn't lather soap well, but $30 bought me a premium badger hair brush that works like magic.  I've been using Colgate shaving soap that sells at my local supermarket for .88 a piece. It doesn't have the enchanting scent that my favorite soap has (Pirate's Cove Bay Rum), but it lathers well and keeps for the entire shave.  I'm still using the strop I mentioned in my first post.  It's got the customary cuts that indicate it was "learned on", but it doesn't effect the stropping. 

I did have to buy some hones.  Being new, I ended up with several.  I now only use a “Cushion hone”, Surgical black Arkansas stone and Chromium oxide powder of .50 micron (I found this, put on a smooth cardboard strip will make a pulling razor keen in no time).  Though honing was, in my opinion, the hardest part of learning to shave with a straight razor, it’s something I’m proud to know.  It’s far different than putting an edge on a knife.

The most expensive part of straight razor shaving in my case is the aftershave.  I simply cannot do without Dominica Bay Rum aftershave.  It tones the skin and smells great!  It’ll also let you know you’ve nicked yourself if you haven’t noticed yet. 

One puck of Colgate lasts me roughly a month.  The strop will last years, and the hones and razors will likely last a lifetime.  So not only am I getting far superior shaves than I ever did with a disposable blade or electric razor, but I’m saving money as I never have to buy a blade again.  Sure, the soap costs me a little over $10 a year and the aftershave substantially more, but these are things I’d be buying if I were using a disposable razor. 
Bottom line, making the switch back to the open blade was one of the best decisions I’ve made with no regrets.
If you’re willing to invest the time (and indeed courage/slight blood loss) involved with the learning curve, it’s well worth making the switch! 

If I were to offer advice to someone new to straight razors with the desire to learn, it would probably go something like this:

Scour the bulletin boards dedicated to shaving with a straight to get a better understanding of the fundamentals before buying anything.  Learn the “rules” involved such as “lock the bathroom door while shaving”, “never shave naked” and “never attempt to catch a falling razor” (I’ve violated that last rule once… that’s all it took), "never rush a shave" and "never shave angry or drunk". There are more, but those are some of my favorites.

Finally, understand proficiency comes with time as with anything else.  Some folks might take to it within a week, some longer.  Patience and determination is all it takes (and perhaps an ounce of blood… LOL).  

crt360

• friend
Re: Update on my straight razor experience
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:58:39 AM »
Snowdog, it sounds very interesting.  I'm glad you got it figured out without a trip to the emergency room.  I'm always in a hurry when I'm shaving, sometimes naked and frequently angry, so I should probably stick with the safe, boring, three blade disposable.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »
Currently on active duty it looks as if this would be out of the question.  One, wouldn't have the time and two, hate to have a mortar attack at the wrong time. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »
Snowdog, it sounds very interesting.  I'm glad you got it figured out without a trip to the emergency room.  I'm always in a hurry when I'm shaving, sometimes naked and frequently angry, so I should probably stick with the safe, boring, three blade disposable.  smiley
Ditto.

Furious Styles

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »

What's a razor?