Author Topic: Pelosi in Favor of Military -- As a Taxi Service  (Read 1325 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pelosi in Favor of Military -- As a Taxi Service
« on: February 01, 2007, 05:01:13 AM »
In fairness, apparently Hastert got rides as well, but at least he did business.

--------------------
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070201-122225-1157r.htm

Speaker pursues military flights

By Rowan Scarborough
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
February 1, 2007

The office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is pressing the Bush administration for routine access to military aircraft for domestic flights, such as trips back to her San Francisco district, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
    The sources, who include those in Congress and in the administration, said the Democrat is seeking regular military flights not only for herself and her staff, but also for relatives and for other members of the California delegation. A knowledgeable source called the request "carte blanche for an aircraft any time."
    "They are pressing the point of her succession and that the [Department of Defense] needs to play ball with the speaker's needs," one source said. The request originally went to the Pentagon, which then asked the White House to weigh in.
    Mrs. Pelosi's request is not new for a speaker, who is second-in-line in presidential succession. A defense source said the speaker's regular access to a military plane began after the September 11, 2001, attacks. Rep. J. Dennis Hastert, Illinois Republican, who was speaker at the time, started using U.S. Air Force planes for domestic travel to and from his district for security reasons. A former Hastert aide said the congressman did not use military planes for political trips or regularly transport his family.
    The defense source said Mr. Hastert requested a plane with good communications so he could conduct legislative business. The military flights increased to the point the speaker used a military plane for many, if not all, flights to his Illinois district, the former aide said.
    Sources said Mrs. Pelosi's request goes beyond what Mr. Hastert received. The speaker's legal counsel is spearheading the talks.
    An aide to Mrs. Pelosi, who asked not to be named, confirmed yesterday that discussions are ongoing with the administration. "It would be done for security reasons," said the aide, adding that the speaker has used military aircraft for at least one trip back to San Francisco.
    The aide asserted that the administration was using a Washington Times reporter, in effect, to negotiate with the speaker's office by leaking information about Mrs. Pelosi's request. Asked if the speaker was seeking increased access to military planes, the aide took the question, but did not call back.
    A Pentagon spokesman referred questions to Mrs. Pelosi's office. A White House spokeswoman said last night she had no information on the request.
    The rules for congressional travel on military aircraft are contained in Defense Department Directive 4515.12.
    Congressional access to military passenger jets is generally restricted to official trips abroad, or for domestic flights to military bases or events to which the Pentagon invited the lawmaker. Al Qaeda attacks on the U.S. changed the procedure in the case of the speaker.
    U.S. Air Force travel for VIPs such as members of Congress is first-rate. The planes are staffed with stewards who serve meals and tend an open bar. Communications suites allow members to conduct business while traveling.
    Such flights are one of Congress' cherished perquisites, providing lawmakers a chance to visit foreign lands at government expense. Official duties are often mixed with sightseeing and fine dining.
    But trips to war zones are not junkets. Since the September 11 attacks, the Air Force has flown hundreds of congressional delegations, or "co-dels," to various war theaters. Mrs. Pelosi just completed a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Upon her return, she repeated her demand that President Bush not send more troops to Iraq.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Pelosi in Favor of Military -- As a Taxi Service
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:35 AM »
That's called "Fraud, Waste, and Abuse", and has cost many legislators a pretty penny after it was made public knowledge.  Madame Pelosi can certainly take a military hop from, say, Dover to Travis, but it had better be on a normally scheduled cargo (we call 'em "trash-hauler") flight, not something she had scheduled for her exclusive use. She can park her posterior on the web jump seats, and share her AMC terminal box lunch with all the retirees, dependents, and active duty troops who use that privilege on a regular basis. Just keep your feet off the aluminum caskets, that's all I ask.  undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:46:50 AM »
Will the planes be flown by Starkist employees?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:27:10 AM »
Give'm Space-A flights on an ANG hauler.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »
Will the planes be flown by Starkist employees?

Dunno.  But I do know she should pay for the flight, and pay for the extra time spent removing the rotten tuna smell from the plane after she uses it.   grin

I'm dead serious about her taking a Space-A military hop, though.  What better way to get in touch with folks, especially military folks, she might just learn something.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:58:08 AM »
The planes are staffed with stewards who serve meals and tend an open bar.

Hmm not many jobs out there that allow you to drink on the job.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:12:30 AM »
I have to say I have a serious problem with providing Congressmen & Senators with all of these paid "vacations". One of the squadrons I was with had a shore duty component whose mission it was to ferry around VIPs. They didn't serve meals or booze, though. I thought it was a waste then.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »
"What's the point of power, if you don't abuse it?" has become to motto of many in WashDC.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 04:14:39 PM »
...removing the rotten tuna smell from the plane after she uses it.

Oh, man, that is cold. Not to mention a little grody. *shudder*

~GnSx

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »
I think the Tuna reference was because she championed raising the minimum wage, but gave an exception to
big corporations like Starkist in return for donations to her re election funds.

I think, I can't remember exactly.
I think it was in American Somoa
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
Starkist's corporate headquarters are in her district.  Completely by coincidence, they're big campaign contributors.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:21:15 AM »
Sources said Mrs. Pelosi's request goes beyond what Mr. Hastert received.

I would like to hear how her request goes beyond Hastert's, nothing in the article spells that out.  Unless you count her opposition to President Bush's Iraq policy as a factor.  It sounds like they both were/are abusing the perk.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ron

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 03:58:18 AM »
It may be worthwhile keeping the folks in line of succession off commercial flights.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that both the President and VP could be killed in a 9//11 scale attack.

Dirty bomb/nuke in DC when both are there.

As you know I am no fan of the Dems, just thinking though. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 04:19:03 AM »
It sounded like she was requesting special flights for a bunch of her staff and family members as well as herself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge