Author Topic: Looking to move to Las Vegas NV..need input  (Read 831 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
Looking to move to Las Vegas NV..need input
« on: February 01, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »
SWMBO and I are looking at moving to the Las Vegas area this fall for her work.

Since we need to be within a 75 mile radius of the LV airport, I'm looking for suggestions on areas that are best to live in.

If something closer to the mountains would be possible we'd prefer that.  However I'm already finding housing prices are certainly much higher than here in the KC area.

I understand Clark County, while in a shall issue state, has a handgun registration policy.  Which I am not fond of, however it's possible that may end soon.
And I also understand there are no property taxes there. (I have yet to confirm this)

I'm just looking for any ideas, suggestions, personal experiences and reccomendations about the entire area.

Would Nye or Lincoln County be a better option?

As stated before we are looking at any area no more than 75-80 miles from the LV airport.  Henderson and Boulder City look nice.. but may be just outside or at the very high end of our ability to afford a home.

Initially we plan to rent for 6mo to one year. Unless a purchase just happened to work out in our time frame.

Thanks
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Looking to move to Las Vegas NV..need input
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:25:22 AM »
My wife and I were regularly in Vegas, 1992-1999 for trade shows.  My attitude is that close is good, but in it is no good.

The landscape is pretty much inhospitable until you get north.  I guess I'd get out a map and look to see what's 50 miles or so north or northwest.  I'd rent a cheap motel room for a week or so and do some driving around and exploring.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »
Essentially, if being that close to the airport is important, you're going to be in Clark County.  You have to understand, everything is desert.  Las Vegas is green from massive irrigation.  Yes, Clark has handgun registration, but it also allows Class IIIs.  Try to do a long visit, away from the Strip.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

auschip

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »
I lived there for a year, and traveled fairly heavily.  I lived on the Northwest side of town up 95 and West on Ann.  Essentially I was just North of the Summerlin area.  I wouldn't go East from there, since you get into the City of North Las Vegas, but West should be fine.  I'm not as familar with the Henderson area, but we did drive through there a couple times.  Boulder City was a pretty good hike from the airport (I would wager 45 minutes to the airport), but I might be wrong.

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »
Getting to the airport from out toward the dam, once you get past the Searchlight intersection area, is pretty good--until you hit Tropicana.  Rush hour there is a (bleep, bleep, bleep) problem.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:38:53 PM »
Rush hour there SUCKS.  So does the scenery.  You now how, in the cheap Hanna Barbera cartoons, the background would repeat itself every five seconds, to save on animation costs?  That's pretty much like driving through most of LV.  A few blocks of similar houses, behind 8 foot walls, interrupted by a strip mall, grocery store, and/or a Rite-Aid.  Or vice versa.  There are a few places that look a little different, like Koreatown.  Same formula, but with fake pagoda roofs.

One place to look at is Blue Diamond, just west of the city.  It's a little village with semi-wild horses grazing.  Good luck finding a house for sale.

I love Las Vegas, but just for visiting.  I wouldn't want to live there again.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 07:53:39 AM »
Thanks for the input so far,

auschip- the northwest areas of town are something I'll have to look more closely at.  a 45minute drive would not be a big deal. 
She currently has a 1hour drive to MCI and then air commuting on top of that.  The whole reason for the move is for her to eliminate the air commute,
by living in a base city (LV is a new hub/base for SWA) And since Chicago and Baltimore were out of the question....

Personally I'm hoping Denver opens up so we could move to CO, she seems to think it will be artic weather all the time. So far my efforts to convince her
otherwise have failed.  (The series of winter storms haven't helped much either)

Art- We plan on taking a survey trip out there in a month or so.  I'll make sure to collect a number or locations to look in on before going.

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 02:13:53 AM »
I visited my inlaws over christmas.  They live in NLV, at the very far NE part of the city.  Lots of new and nicer homes going in, nice middle class neighborhoods.
As a whole I don't like Vegas, but it was nice riding my bike in Dec Tongue
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wheelgunmom

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »
There are property taxes here -- but no state income tax.  Yes, you will have to register your handguns if you reside in Clark County.  (If this policy is ending soon as you say you've heard, this would be very surprising news.  I doubt it, unfortunately . . .)  Nye County would be quite a drive for your spouse every day; not worth it just to escape the registration requirement.

Home prices here, as you've discovered, have really gone up in the past couple of years.  They are down a bit from the craziness of 18 months ago though.  Good luck in your search and I hope you can find a neighborhood you really like.  I think it's a great idea that you are considering renting first.  There is a lot to enjoy here if you are open-minded and give the city a fair chance.     

As the iconic sign says as you are driving into town:  Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas! cheesy