Author Topic: GM Closing Several US Plants  (Read 570 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
GM Closing Several US Plants
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »
Perhaps they have sound business reasons for doing so, but I gotta kinda agree with Trump here regarding the "This is the thanks we get" line. This is what we get for bailing them out. If Ford wants to close US plants, bummer, but it's their business. They didn't take massive handouts.

I'd like to think this will help stop the next "Too big to fail" bailout, but I doubt it.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/trump-very-disappointed-with-general-motors-after-plant-closures
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: GM Closing Several US Plants
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
To be fair,  we bailed out the *expletive deleted*ing Unions,  not so much GM.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: GM Closing Several US Plants
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
I've seen other people looking into this, and the general response is that GM is making a sound decision.  The plants were running at less than 30% capacity, they weren't selling enough cars to cover the costs of the manufacturing plant.

If they continue to make the models, it would be significantly cheaper to have production lines where there's enough other vehicles being made to cover the plant costs.