Author Topic: A very special level of hell...  (Read 2293 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
A very special level of hell...
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »
I am absolutly sick of those who dump out their dogs and cats when they are no longer wanted.
I had to put down one of these poor dogs today. Some bastard dumped her out, and she hung around for a few days. The dog was emanciated, starving, and was in pretty bad condition. 

I finally worked up the courage to do it tonight. I love dogs, have two of them, but cannot take care of any more. The local shelter is full.

I will spare you the details, but it was bad.

I swear, the kind of person that throws a defensless animal out...God, I know that there is a very special level of hell for them...Only thing is, I wish I could be the one to send them there...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: A very special level of hell...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
You're not alone in those views.  Several years back my mother's neighbor had a habit of doing such with cats he'd trapped.  Fortunately for all but the cats he was in Florida and I in Colorado, since where I there HE'D be the one dropped in the middle of nowwhere, naked, confused and frightened.

Those...creatures...who do such are not fit to be called human in ANY sense of the word.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »
Many people do not think about what they are doing. They assume that, well, it's an animal, so it must be totally fine in the wild. I have a friend who occasionally has people dump their unwanted pets on him thinking that he will set their Fluffy loose to run free in the great paradise of an Idaho wilderness in winter.

They don't know about the mercy kills.

It's not so much cruelty as thoughtlessness.  sad

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:11:35 PM »
That special hell reserved for people that talk in theaters?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 06:13:34 PM »
No, a much more special level of hell...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »
College kids... There's a coupla high-priced schools in midtown St. Louis...

The kids adopt dogs, cats, whatever, and keep 'em for a semester or two. Then they go home. The critters are left to fend. They become inner-city feral.

They've had packs of these dogs run down animals in our zoo.

Blog under construction

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »
Call me overly sensitive, but I can't see how someone with the level of emotional attachment one usually has with a pet can do that to them.  For me, it's much akin to putting an elderly family member in a retirement home and then never visiting.

Sorry, just watched Bubba Ho-Tep, one of the greatest movies of all time. (So good it edged out Braveheart from my Top Five.)

For those unfamiliar with zahc's remark, look up the following; "... you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters, and people who talk at the theater."
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bdutton

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »
That special hell reserved for people that talk in theaters?

I got that one.  Your coat looks kind of... brownish.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:31:09 PM »
I'm no bunny hugger, but growing up on a ranch it is instilled in you that animals are your wards.  If you have animals you are completely responsible for making sure that they are cared for properly and humanely.

just watched Bubba Ho-Tep, one of the greatest movies of all time.

"Cleopatra does the nasty!"

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
I had to give up a critter once in my life to adoption due to a living situation change. I put a lot of effort into find a new home for it, he went to a good home but it sucked giving a cat away that I had for quite a while and all of his quirks.

Those people who drop animals off are bound for a different kind of hell.

One of my buddies is a farmer and he got tired of people dropping animals off in his spread, so one Saturday he was shooting pigeons/ rats out his barn or something like that, when he saw someone stop and open up a door, kicked out a dog and the drove away. The dog ran up to the barn and he shot the dog on site. The car that dropped off the dog was driving by at the same time and the kids got to see their pet get shot. My buddy said the kids came unglued and it looked like the guy was going to drive in his driveway but changed his mind at the last second. Probably realized he did something incredibly stupid and the farmer was armed.

I'm not sure if that was bad or good, but I imagine those kids won't be an asshat like their parents were in dropping animals off.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
I think the farmer probably did what he needed to. If he couldn't take care of it himself (not that it is his responsibility, anyway), it would not be good to have running amok on his farm.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 03:24:53 PM »
I know what you're saying, Avenger.  My dad and stepmom run a dog rescue, and the condition of some of the animals they get is really shocking.  Fortunately, all of those stories have a good ending.  They nurse 'em back to health and adopt them out to certifiably good homes, all on their own dime.

One of my Chows was simply kicked out the door with his brothers and sisters, because the owners never got their dog spayed, and she got out of the yard and got pregnant.

Last fall, when I was deer hunting in northern Michigan, I came across a German Short-haired pointer, sweet as can be, who was likely let go because she had a bum leg.  We found her a nice home in Canada.

BobCat

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
Avenger 29,

Agreed.  People who dump pets have reserved themselves a hot seat in a very hot place, may they go there soon.

They are why we have 12 cats and a dog (who came up to me, starving, at the pistol range and I could not leave her there).  We place as many as we can but some have behavioral problems that preclude decent placements (maybe why they got dumped in the first place).  Still, they sit in my lap and purr, so none of them are incorrigible.

I'm in the middle of agonizing over a placement of a cat who showed up around Christmas - very affectionate unfixed male long-hair - with a lady who seemed nice, and her grandkids seemed to like the cat, but we do not really know her (she saw our "found" poster at the grocery store in town).  She is supposed to take him in to be fixed (on our dime) - so we will see if she really calls the Vet and makes the appointment.  If she does so I'll relax - means she at least means him well.

Anyway, thank you for doing what you had to do with the dumped dog.  However bad it was, it was faster and cleaner than starving/freezing to death.  And if there is a special place for those who dump them, I like to think there is a different place, populated by dogs and cats who have gone on ahead, for those who take care of them.  Hang in there.

Regards,
Andrew

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
This is a society that kills millions of unborn children each year, almost always because the child would be an inconvenience to the mother.

It is not all that surprising that an inconvenient pet would get dumped.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
This is a society that kills millions of unborn children each year, almost always because the child would be an inconvenience to the mother.

It is not all that surprising that an inconvenient pet would get dumped.

Yeah, I figured someone would find a way to work the anti-choice talking points into this. Always a guy who does it, of course.  rolleyes

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 06:22:36 PM »
The slaughter of millions is, of course, a talking point.  No, wait, maybe the "anti-choice" canard is a talking point. 

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »
Please, don't go into an abortion thread over this...That issue is so dividing, I can't even discern the Libetarian viewpoint on it...it is just something you have to decide for yourself, and it is one of the very few highly emotional issues that you are not likely at all to change someone's viewpoint on...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 09:52:28 PM »
it is just something you have to decide for yourself,

Minor correction, it is something WOMEN need to decide for themselves. It's their body. If there's going to be any legal arguments, it should be entirely by and of women, IMO.

Guys can't get pregnant, they don't have to deal with carrying something in their bodies and being told they can or can't control their own body. It's not an issue that men should ever have any legislative say in and are ill-equipped to argue over, because it is not something that can ever directly affect them.

What gets me is people who claim to be conservatives or libertarians till it comes to that one issue, and then they become the leftist's leftist, wanting Big Government to step in and tell someone what they can or can't do with their body by force of LAW.

I just find it ironic and rather incompatible with libertarianism and conservatism both.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 07:23:09 AM »
Military housing was particularly bad for that sort of thing. 

One of my (late) dogs was adopted by my wife and I simply for running around in the neighborhood with no owner, whom we assumed simply took another assignment overseas that wouldn't accept pets. We enticed her with a piece of Arby's roast beef sandwich, and I had that dog from 1994 until just last November. 

It broke my heart to see all the neglected pets simply left to fend for themselves.  Several huge, well-groomed and declawed cats were present over time, and I agonized over taking them to the Humane Society, risking their being euthanized, until I found a cat-only rescue society that was a no-kill facility.  I remember one big bruiser of a Norwegian Forest Cat, gorgeous, stocky, and declawed.  He was friendly, well-mannered, and I couldn't take him in because of my Chow-Chow. 

Yeah, there should be a special level of hell.  angry 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
Maned, I'm betting you are a man, which would make your comments even more ludicrous than otherwise. 

Don't feel bad about the threadjack, folks.  Since we are not animals, we have no right to talk about them. 

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 01:24:55 PM »
I hate it with a pasion and the people dumping the animals should be shot too.  Hell I have trouble the few times I have had to give an animal up to a sheltor, dropping it off somewhere is something I could never do.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 01:47:45 PM »
It's always tough shooting a dog.  You always feel that age old alliance deep down where part of you says "wait, I shouldn't do this, I need to feed him and he will help me."

Everything else I don't mind killing.  When I moved into Alcazar del Tejon my neighborhood was overrun with long-haired rabbits.  Apparently the rabbits were dumped at a nearby park/cemetary and breed like, well, rabbits in our subdivision.  It took me a full two summers of shooting to thin them out.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »
Yeah, looking into those eyes is the hardest part. It just feels so wrong, like stabbing your buddy in the back. Even when you know it is the humane thing to do, otherwise the poor animal will die a horrible, prolonged death.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:05 AM »
When I moved into Alcazar del Tejon my neighborhood was overrun with long-haired rabbits.  Apparently the rabbits were dumped at a nearby park/cemetary and breed like, well, rabbits in our subdivision.  It took me a full two summers of shooting to thin them out.
What caliber for urban long-haired rabbit?
For entertainment purposes only.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 01:51:24 PM »
it is just something you have to decide for yourself,

Minor correction, it is something WOMEN need to decide for themselves. It's their body. If there's going to be any legal arguments, it should be entirely by and of women, IMO.
There should be NO legal arguments. I agree that any discussions should be primarily by women, but the morality or immorality of abortion is a religious/theological question, not a legal one. Even referring to unborn feti as "children" is not universally agreed upon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design