Author Topic: The Atlantic Went Off the Deep End  (Read 1490 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Atlantic Went Off the Deep End
« on: December 08, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
This came up in my Firefox recommendations. These people are nuts. The story is all about how Trump can use his emergency powers to take over the United States and turn it into his totalitarian regime. These people are smoking something special. And where were their stories on this during Obama? I mean, yeah, Trump kinda leans authoritarian, but then so have most presidents in recent history. And also, once again: Harry Reid rule.

The last line in the article tells you all you need to know:

At a time when other democracies around the world are slipping toward authoritarianism—and when the president seems eager for the United States to follow their example—we would be wise to shore up the guardrails of liberal democracy. Fixing the current system of emergency powers would be a good place to start.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The Atlantic Went Off the Deep End
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
Well, I certainly hope the Atlantic does not read up on the continuity of government plans.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
Liberal democracy is a total failure.

It’s so unstable that we have to have permanent unelected government to keep it from collapsing.

The people we have voted for over the decades are the ones who have installed and funded this leviathan.

Once the permanent government abandoned Nationalism and embraced globalism they decided to import a new people to replace the founding stock.

They have destabilized the country immensely.

What was that quote? Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:48:32 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »
From rusty old memory...

I think most of those vast emergency dictatorial powers were instituted about the time of the original Patriot Act (if not during the Civil War).  IIRC, four or five top government officials had to concur in order to trigger them, e.g., Secretary of State, National Security Advisor, some military, and the like.

IOW, The Atlantic is probably mostly right (if downright childishly insulting), but the motivation for bringing this up now, during the fascist evil lying Trump Orange Reign* is highly suspect.

If I further recall correctly, some of the more outrageous provisions (including forced mass movement of the population) of those emergency powers have been moderated.

Terry

* As opposed to the future fascist evil lying Trump Grey Reign*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:18:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
I've been hearing those exact stories since Jimmy Carter was president...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »
This came up in my Firefox recommendations. These people are nuts. The story is all about how Trump can use his emergency powers to take over the United States and turn it into his totalitarian regime. These people are smoking something special. And where were their stories on this during Obama? I mean, yeah, Trump kinda leans authoritarian, but then so have most presidents in recent history. And also, once again: Harry Reid rule.

The last line in the article tells you all you need to know:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/01/presidential-emergency-powers/576418/

Literally the same thing many conservatives screamed and wailed about during the Obama and Clinton years. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
Literally the same thing many conservatives screamed and wailed about during the Obama and Clinton years. 

And trump will get zero credit for using made up executive powers way less than any of the recent presidents.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »

On places like APS.

I don't recall them being reported in MSM stories that were, as this one appears to be, "news reporting" vs opinion pieces. I think there's a difference between online forums, etc. raising pitchforks as cantankerous grumblers, and MSM doing it as legitimate news.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
"I think most of those vast emergency dictatorial powers were instituted about the time of the original Patriot Act (if not during the Civil War).  IIRC, four or five top government officials had to concur in order to trigger them, e.g., Secretary of State, National Security Advisor, some military, and the like."

Uhm... no.

The Patriot Act did not create a class of emergency, essentially dictatorial, powers for the president to be enabled with the concurrence of other cabinet members.

The US Constitution extends NO class of emergency powers to the President.

At least three presidents, Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Truman, claimed emergency powers to act in time of national emergency -- Lincoln with the suspension of habeas corpus, Roosevelt with the interment of Japanese Americans, and Truman to nationalize steel mills.

All three instances were reviewed by the courts -- in two of those, Lincoln and Truman -- the courts denied the President's claim of emergency powers. Lincoln ignored the court order; Truman followed it.

Despite what you hear from the mouth breathing howler monkeys of doom, the President has no power, nor ability, to suspend elections, suspend the Constitution (although Lincoln effectively did), dissolve Congress (the only reason Lincoln was able to ignore the Supreme Court's ruling on habeas corpus was that Congress tacitly agreed with it and took no action to overturn it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
At least three presidents, Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Truman, claimed emergency powers to act in time of national emergency -- Lincoln with the suspension of habeas corpus, Roosevelt with the interment of Japanese Americans, and Truman to nationalize steel mills.

All three instances were reviewed by the courts -- in two of those, Lincoln and Truman -- the courts denied the President's claim of emergency powers. Lincoln ignored the court order; Truman followed it.

It bothers me that that what was arguably the most egregious act was the one that the USSC was the one that was allowed to stand.

Also, fun to remind igtard snowflakes that a Democrat President has been the only one to actually round up American Citizens and force them into concentration camps.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
I did that once...

TRIGGERED!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
I did that once...

Rounded up citizens and forced them into concentration camps?

You missed a bunch that need to go.  I'd recommend Bikini Atoll for the camp.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
The Atlantic Went Off the Deep End

2007 called, they want their headline back.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 08:11:04 AM »
"Rounded up citizens and forced them into concentration camps?"

No, no, I believe in soft walls, essentially free range idiots.

What do you think APS is?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »
On places like APS.

I don't recall them being reported in MSM stories that were, as this one appears to be, "news reporting" vs opinion pieces. I think there's a difference between online forums, etc. raising pitchforks as cantankerous grumblers, and MSM doing it as legitimate news.

Ben is 100% right.  This nuttery is being published in mainstream magazines, not forum rants.