Author Topic: The Fed, the Market and Oil  (Read 557 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
The Fed, the Market and Oil
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »
Well, we're at a new 52 week low.  The Fed ratcheted up rates 25 basis points to 2.5%.  Which along with the China uncertainty is starting to drag the economy.  (the FAANG stocks being caught being a Big Brotherly doesn't help either.)

Oil is down to around $45/bbl for West Texes and $54/bbl for Brent.  So despite the recent holiday travel rise at the pump, it's going to be below $2 once the holiday(s) are over.

I think Trump was right, the Fed needed to skip this rise, and wait a quarter, they are putting the brakes on an economy that isn't overheating...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The Fed, the Market and Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
IMO, the FAANGs have been way, way, way overpriced. They need a correction badly. However the way even many managed index-style funds are set up, you correct the FAANGs, and then you drag everybody else down too, because all the managers make these stocks a big percentage of their portfolios.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
Shorting faangs seems to be a good strategy lately- they go up 1-2% for a day, then lose 2-3%...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
Rates need to raise, just jerk the bandage off. I wish it was a whole percentage point, yes it would suck but other prices would start to fall, like homes and vehicles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:58:55 PM »
"However the way even many managed index-style funds are set up, you correct the FAANGs, and then you drag everybody else down too...."

Yeah, that's the entire purpose of an index fund -- to match the performance of that particular index... and yeah, that includes gains AND losses.

And the only way to really do that with an index is to closely match the composition of that index.

There are contrarian index funds, but from what I can tell they're few and far between because in general contrarian investing is a bigger crap shoot. Its seems that more people are doing their contrarian investing these days with ETFs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Rates need to raise, just jerk the bandage off. I wish it was a whole percentage point, yes it would suck but other prices would start to fall, like homes and vehicles.

Yup. I wish they would have just started this incremental stuff slowly five years ago, or else not dropped them to ridiculous levels in the first place. I think it definitely would help stabilize home prices and reduce the negative effects of real estate crashes.

I also reiterate that Ma and Pa Kettle should be able to get 4% out of a T-bill or long term CD. It would definitely help keep people stable in their retirement years. Plus for people worried about drawing retirement savings with market corrections like we're seeing now, if you're diversified, you've then got that Tbill or other "savings" type vehicle that you can draw from while the market gets back to normal, so you're not drawing on your stocks at their reduced value.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
"I also reiterate that Ma and Pa Kettle should be able to get 4% out of a T-bill or long term CD."

They don't call them certificates of depreciation for nothing.

I'm of the firm opinion that CDs should really be only for excess money that you're parking and don't really need, because when it comes right down to it, you will never earn money, in the form of actual purchasing power vs inflation, with a CD.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »

I get it that you want to buy some land cheap.  Yet, falling home and other prices would be a depression and much, much worse then then slowly rising prices. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
I get it that you want to buy some land cheap.  Yet, falling home and other prices would be a depression and much, much worse then then slowly rising prices. 

If the current prices for Midwest farm ground are high enough that you can't make a 30 year note payment on the ground from what you produce, it needs to come down. Depression is going to happen, doesn't matter if feds tweak interest rates or not.

I'm predicting a serious Ag crisis in the next three years, might be worse than the one in the early 80s since less people control more land.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536