Author Topic: An armed society is a polite society  (Read 761 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
An armed society is a polite society
« on: December 27, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
Case in point:

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/the-plan-was-to-steal-tools-then-customers-drew-their-guns/

TL;DR -- Two brain trusts decide to steal tools from a Coastal Farm & Ranch store in Marysville, Washington. As they loaded the tools into their car and started to drive away, they were confronted by SIX armed customers.

Much hilarity ensued.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: An armed society is a polite society
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
"The two men, who were from Mukilteo and Everett, were booked into the Snohomish County Jail under investigation of first-degree theft."  I'm pretty sure had they hit a police officer with the getaway car charges would be a little different.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
Hopefully, the police are not putting much effort into finding the armed men.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
“He won’t shoot, run him over,” one of the suspects reportedly said.

Welp, reason to shoot confirmed.

Marysville police found the theft suspects’ car unoccupied about three blocks away, with two flat tires and the tools inside. Both men were apprehended after a search.

Some good shooting here.

However, security tape showed a vehicle striking someone, according to the police report.

sounds like attempted vehicular homicide to me.  On video even, so supporting witnesses not really required?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:30:35 AM »

sounds like attempted vehicular homicide to me.  On video even, so supporting witnesses not really required?

[defense attorney]The pedestrian wasn't in a marked crosswalk, so he was jaywalking. My client had the right-of-way, Your Honor.[/defense attorney]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 12:46:11 AM »
Vehicular assault.  Usually used for DUI, but probably could apply there.  A co-worker's daughter was badly injured while riding her bike by a repeat DUI offender.  IIRC he got 87 months in the pokey.  In this case I'd guess the driver would get a sentence running concurrently with any for the robbery that would add little or no actual time.  If vehicular assault is the only charge I'd bet 6 months max since he wasn't drunk and didn't seriously injure the CCW.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
Here in Washington state, vehicular assault or homicide is most commonly applied in impaired driving cases, but is also used for deliberately running over people.  It is considered a deadly force felony and can be defended with deadly force.  I have studied the case law on this, being a bicyclist and there are people out there who like to harass bicyclists by running them over.  The person in the Coastal Farm and Fleet store parking lot that was actually struck by the car and went up over the hood likely would have been justified in shooting back.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.