Author Topic: Texas Home Invasion Gone . . . Good?  (Read 2310 times)

HankB

• friend
Texas Home Invasion Gone . . . Good?
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:27 PM »
Early reports are that five men invaded an East Houston home, the homeowner was armed, and responded with gunfire.

Three of the home invaders are dead, two wounded.

https://abc13.com/5-shot-and-3-dead-after-home-invasion-in-east-houston/5097015/

The best part of this story? "At some point, officers with guns drawn were seen searching a port-a-potty."

I expect more details will follow - five man home invasions aren't common, so maybe we'll find out there was something else going on.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Texas Home Invasion Gone . . . Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:07:03 AM »
Early reports are that five men invaded an East Houston home, the homeowner was armed, and responded with gunfire.
Three of the home invaders are dead, two wounded.

God bless Texas!  (I'm from East Texas, near Houston)
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 12:41:20 AM »
... maybe we'll find out there was something else going on.

I was wondering that myself.  Seems unlikely that five people would conspire to invade the home of a total stranger.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
Hood/bario there.  Probably gang related, even if the victim wasn't in a gang the invaders probably were.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
Probably the invaders knew that there were drugs, guns, cash or other valuables at the location.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
At the Houston Chronicle web page, the comments are overwhelmingly positive.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Three-dead-after-East-Houston-home-invasion-13546708.php?cmpid=hpctp

Apparently the homeowner used an AK-pattern rifle to defend himself. Some comments are alleging (speculating?) that the homeowner AND the invaders were all druggies. But so far, I've seen no mention of the homeowner being arrested on any charges. (e.g., felon in possession of a gun, possession of drugs, etc.) so at this writing any criminality on the homeowner's part would seem to be pure speculation by the uninformed. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »
Shows the capability of a rifle in home defense for someone who can use it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:25:27 PM »
I’ve only shot with ear protection.

How much louder would my AR be than my 45?

My house has small rooms so I’d probably be deafened with either.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 05:53:12 AM »
From what I can gather over the years, apparently, the stress of the defensive situation eliminates much of that hearing problem.

A lot depends on furnishings like drapery, etc.

But I do know that deliberately firing just a primer in a handgun in a small room when you know it's going to happen, results in a ringing in your ears.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 08:58:19 AM »

Much, much, much louder. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
Much, much, much louder. 

That's not what TV tells me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 09:40:47 AM »
Much, much, much louder. 

Painfully loud.  I did it once many years ago and it was outside.  I don't think my ears have stopped ringing since.  I can't imagine firing one w/o hearing protection indoors. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
Folks seem to forget that “operators” are wearing ear protection when they do their dynamic entries.

I’ll stick with the pistola inside the house. I’ve more training with it anyway.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »
Folks seem to forget that “operators” are wearing ear protection when they do their dynamic entries.

I’ll stick with the pistola inside the house. I’ve more training with it anyway.
I was hoping the Hearing Protection Act would be enacted, at which point I figured I'd build a suppressed AR pistol with a brace.

But I don't see the HPA passing in the near future, certainly not during the next 2 years.  =(

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »
That's some might fine shooting!   =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 08:50:40 AM »
Even if you don't want to use a rifle round, a pistol caliber carbine would be pretty effective also.  More capacity, easy to shoot accurately, easy to mount a good red dot, etc. 

I saw a video on a new AIMpoint pistol red dot that is designed to leave on all the time.  I am looking forward to checking that out. 

I have heard people speculate that the noise and flash of a gunshot in their direction adds to the mental impact of getting shot.  Meaning they might be less likely to keep attacking.  This was one. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJCg9CCAJyI
Just a different view to consider.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 08:53:01 AM »
My very first suppressor will be going on the nightstand gun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 02:02:02 AM »
Probably the invaders knew that there were drugs, guns, cash or other valuables at the location.

I'd substitute "thought" instead of "knew".

SWAT teams get the wrong target on occasion, criminals are even less likely, and more likely to believe an unsubstantiated "tip" that there's money or such there.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:44 PM »
I'd substitute "thought" instead of "knew".

SWAT teams get the wrong target on occasion, criminals are even less likely, and more likely to believe an unsubstantiated "tip" that there's money or such there.

Someone just gave us a 60" plasma, and a co-worker told me to keep the blinds shut. I don't know if that's true. On the other hand, whatever distracts them from the guns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »

Someone just gave us a 60" plasma, and a co-worker told me to keep the blinds shut. I don't know if that's true. On the other hand, whatever distracts them from the guns.
Wow . . . I haven't seen a plasma flat panel TV in years, these days they're all some variation or combination of LCD/LED/QLED/OLED.

I don't know about keeping the blinds shut, but I wouldn't put a big TV box out on trash day unless I cut it up and bundled it first.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
From what I can gather over the years, apparently, the stress of the defensive situation eliminates much of that hearing problem.

A lot depends on furnishings like drapery, etc.

But I do know that deliberately firing just a primer in a handgun in a small room when you know it's going to happen, results in a ringing in your ears.

Once when I was younger I had cut apart a shotgun shell, placed the cut off bottom onto a pebble, and smashed it with a hammer; it was quite ear-ringing loud.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
I’ve only shot with ear protection.

My house has small rooms so I’d probably be deafened with either.

MAWP  loud.  Any rifle in a QCB situation is going to damage the *expletive deleted*it out of your hearing.  It almost has to be experienced to be appreciated.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 01:51:32 AM »
Wow . . . I haven't seen a plasma flat panel TV in years, these days they're all some variation or combination of LCD/LED/QLED/OLED.

I don't know about keeping the blinds shut, but I wouldn't put a big TV box out on trash day unless I cut it up and bundled it first.

I think it's about 10 years old. No box.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 04:45:52 AM »

You can get a 60" 4k LCD screen for under $500 these days, and they're so huge that they're hard to move.  I doubt they're the targets of theft they once were.

It's getting to the point that a nice stand probably costs more for them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 09:02:58 AM »
MAWP  loud.  Any rifle in a QCB situation is going to damage the *expletive deleted*it out of your hearing.  It almost has to be experienced to be appreciated.
Some years back I had a 5.45 go off pretty close to me indoors without ear pro.  It was loud and my ears rang for a short time, but I got over it.  I wouldn't want to experience that again, but if I needed a gun indoors, I would want the best weapon available anyway.

I always figured one of those shorter suppressors on an AR or similar gun would be good for home defense.  Not quiet by any means, but it should take the edge off the noise.  Of course, even a suppressed 45 would seem loud indoors unless you have an unsuppressed shot to compare to.