Author Topic: If you've visited the Grand Canyon in the past 18 years you're going to die  (Read 1728 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Maybe
Well, probably not.

"If you were in the Museum Collections Building (bldg 2C) between the year 2000 and June 18, 2018, you were 'exposed' to uranium by OSHA's definition," said the email, which Stephenson provided to CNN.
"Please understand, this doesn't mean that you're somehow contaminated, or that you are going to have health issues. It merely means essentially that there was uranium on the site and you were in its presence. ... And by law we are supposed to tell you."

Cue the stampede of lawyers

For nearly 2 decades, Grand Canyon tourists were exposed to radiation beyond the federal limit, safety manager says
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/health/grand-canyon-radiation-museum-trnd/index.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I wonder how much dough I could get in a lawsuit over my Tritium sights?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.

Cue the stampede of lawyers

If they can tear themselves away from their tanning beds and Chinese-sourced essential oils long enough to file the case.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

griz

• friend
Considering it took 18 years for someone to notice it at all, I would say only three days to throw it out was a praise worthy response if were't for the fact that they  seem to have tried to make it look as if it was never there.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
If they can tear themselves away from their tanning beds and Chinese-sourced essential oils long enough to file the case.

Brad

The smell of money can be quite effective in tearing lawyers away from tanning beds.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Damn, it's been more than 5 decades since I was there. No money for me.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
I wonder how much dough I could get in a lawsuit over my Tritium sights?  =D

Low level beta particles, really only dangerous if you swallow the sights. So a lawsuit for you would involve some swallowing   :laugh:
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
So a lawsuit for you would involve some swallowing   :laugh:

That's what she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon

If you've visited the Grand Canyon in the past 18 years you're going to die

"Psssst.   Everyone dies."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend

The new asbestos is Round-Up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
Re: If you've visited the Grand Canyon in the past 18 years you're going to die
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
The new asbestos is Round-Up.

Seeing ads that goes something like this.
"Have you ever used roundup? If so contact us at __________ law office" 
Not the exact wording but along those lines.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »
There was a note with my new sofa that basically said that according to the state of California if I eat my sofa there's a chance it may give me cancer.
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
From my limited research I'm pretty sure that EVERYTHING in California gives you cancer.
I recently bout a Gransfors Bruks axe, it came with a Prop 65 warning. It's a lump of steel and a piece of wood.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 07:07:28 PM »
California is a cancer
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
Seeing ads that goes something like this.
"Have you ever used roundup? If so contact us at __________ law office" 
Not the exact wording but along those lines.

Lucky for me that I only use glyphosate.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 11:39:14 PM »
I had to look up "Proposition 65." https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/cancer-warning-labels-based-on-californias-proposition-65.html

Didn't CA require a warning on a kid's bicycle because the tire inflation valves contained brass which contained lead?  Maybe that was another urban legend thing.

"If you were in the Museum Collections Building (bldg 2C) between the year 2000 and June 18, 2018, you were 'exposed' to uranium by OSHA's definition," said the email, which Stephenson provided to CNN.

No mention of all the radon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_chain#Uranium_series

I guess if you are in the presence of uranium, you're in the presence of radon.  And lead.  And mercury.  OMG OMG.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:32:06 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
No cause for concern... BUT WE'RE STILL GONNA DIE!!

https://www.foxnews.com/science/huge-open-buckets-of-uranium-ore-found-at-grand-canyon-totally-fine-experts-say

I love the phrase "Huge open buckets..." Really? It's three common five gallon buckets of very slightly radioactive dirt. You probably get more exposure handling a bunch of bananas than being around couple gallons of raw ore. Given the low levels of actual emission, and that radioactive exposure falls off by inverse square over distance, any substantive exposure would require being in almost direct contact several hours a day, several days a week, for a significant period of time. In fact, raw ore's radioactivity is so weak that emissions from ore concentrates are so low that direct handling precautions focus almost solely on the concentrate's toxicity (similar to lead). Radioactivity precautions are relegated to careful monitoring over time.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »
"Huge open buckets..."

Anyone else read that in the "Huuuuuge...........tracts of land" voice?
- Calvin and Hobbes

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
Anyone else read that in the "Huuuuuge...........tracts of land" voice?

Well, I do now . . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht