Author Topic: Router Recommendations?  (Read 1384 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Router Recommendations?
« on: February 24, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
Looking for router recommendations. I currently have an old Cradlepoint MBR1400, which I love, and the 4G failover has come in really handy. However it's way long in the tooth (so I'm worrying about lack of support and security updates) and the current Cradlepoint equivalent is overkill for me and way over my price range.

I'm ready to give up the 4G failover since I can just hotspot my phone in those situations. What I do want is something with really good WiFi range so I don't have to set up APs/extenders all over the place (my Cradlepoint, from the 2nd story, lets me pick it up nearly 1/4 mile away in good conditions). Also a secure guest network. I don't do any kind of multiplayer gaming or anything so don't need zoomy, discrete bandwidths for that. Depending on setup, though I prefer wired for security whenever I can plug stuff in, I may need to be wireless on my Roku, so enough internal wireless speed for streaming is a plus.

I was just looking at Netgear Nighthawks, but was reading that they apparently have security holes between the primary and guest network? I really want security there. Not so much for my guests, but for keeping certain services discrete from my primary network. For instance, I have my weather stations currently talking to the internet and don't want any potential security threats invading my primary network.

I'm also planning on setting up a bunch of remote stuff around my property like wireless security cameras/alarms, thermometers for freeze warnings, etc. I'd like all that stuff on a guest network as well. I'm not super concerned with "plug and play". My Cradlepoint is sort of "Cisco light" in admin menus, and I like the ability to monitor and manage networks and network traffic.

So any recommendations? I'm good for up to ~$250.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Router Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
I like the Bosch Colt with the variable speed control  =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »
I like the Bosch Colt with the variable speed control  =D

The APS unofficial motto: "A jackass in every thread." :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »
https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/

https://www.lifewire.com/best-asus-routers-4159861

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/292110/the-best-wireless-routers

When I decided to abandon my Motorola combined modem/wireless gateway last year, I went with a separate Netgear modem and an Asus RT-AC1900P router that has been flawless for me. I now get a strong wireless signal some 200 feet away in my hammock amongst the trees.  Some of my wireless devices connect at 200+ Mbps on my 250 MBps Xfinity wired service. With this limit on the speed coming into the house, I had no need to buy one of the routers that connect at 3000 Mbps or so. Newer and better Asus models have been released since.  For what you are looking for, I wonder if one of the mesh router setups may be a good idea.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 11:37:35 AM »
Shoot, I'd forgotten about Asus. I know last time I looked at them, they were getting great reviews. I also forgot about mesh. I'll have to look into that as well.

Tangent: Your avatar is broken. :)

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »
Just picked up one of these for myself after my nighthawk crapped the bed at 6 months old.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ac3100-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/4465000.p?skuId=4465000

I'm happy so far. Excellent range, I'll get the full speed of my 400mps connection from about 80 feet away. Good menu options as well.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
Okay, I'm liking the Asus and am leaning in that direction already. Yeah, that AC3100 looks to have all the menu options I need/want and more. :)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
Yeah, Asus makes pretty good routers.

I've had several Netgear routers, and I'm not very impressed with them. One of them managed to brick itself during a firmware update. That would be the same one that listed IPv6 compatibility on its box...which it didn't actually get until they released a firmware update patching it in more than a year after I bought it.

The only good thing I can say about Netgear is that they're better than Cisco.  :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
I have a Asus "ac" router, and I think it's also a micro cellphone tower if I was on the right carrier.  I'm not sure what model it is but I can look it up if you want.  It has worked flawlessly for a couple of years.  I have it set up with a secure local network and a separate secured guest network for when Wife has students over for tutoring; they can use the wifi without seeing any of my computers, printers, etc.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 06:06:40 PM »
Bob, I'd actually be interested in the model # if it does that. While the phone hotspot is a workable workaround, I have to say when my fixed wireless goes down, my current setup of direct failover to the 4G modem plugged into the router is really nice and seamless, since I don't lose all the stuff connected to the router.

I don't know if anyone knows, and I'm assuming it's pretty standard, but the Asus routers let you force a static IP and related DNS etc. for the ethernet, yes? That's a requirement with my current fixed wireless provider, and I would assume most all others - I think they all assign static IPs to each connection.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 06:13:03 PM »
It's a T-Mobile "Personal Cellspot Router"  I paid almost nothing for it buying direct from T-Mobile even tho' I'm not otherwise a T-Mobile customer.  I think the model is TM-AC1900 (it's hard to read)  I'll see if I can remember how to sign-on to it and look for more details.  I do have a couple of old printer with static IP addresses.  I use DHCP for everything else.

Wait, you're asking about a static IP address for the WAN port aren't you?  I'll have to check into that.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »
Thanks Bob! Don't go to any extra trouble though. If you know stuff off the top of your head, that's cool, but don't spend time digging.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 07:03:16 PM »
Thanks Bob! Don't go to any extra trouble though. If you know stuff off the top of your head, that's cool, but don't spend time digging.

Here's a link: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-15759  HTH :)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
Thanks Bob!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
I actually had that T-Mobile/Asus a couple of years ago. They were routinely on sale for around $70 on slickdeals.  The problem I had with it was that for me, the wireless signal wasn't great. Plus, at that time you were stuck on a pretty old firmware revision. That may have changed though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
Update. Okay, so I pulled a Hawkmoon and ignored the APS IT advise.   =D

Well, sorta. I went the Millcreek direction and got a mesh router. Netgear Orbi RBR50 and two satellites. Admittedly a splurge (damn you Costco!) over my original price ceiling. I ended up with what I think is a good purchase though, and mesh was probably the right way to go given available options. There's just nothing out there as a single router with the 800' range of my old Cradlepoint, so mesh is about the best equivalent.

I got the fixed wireless installed yesterday, and connecting the Orbi and satellites was pretty seamless other than the Orbi took a while to figure out the POI box for the microwave antenna. I put the main router in my office which is kinda on one end of the house, a satellite in the living room in the middle of the house where the TV will go and where I can plug my Roku and Blue ray into cat5, and the second satellite at the end of the upstairs bonus room that point directly at my shop.

With where everything is, I'm getting excellent coverage inside and about three acres of good coverage outside. Netgear makes outdoor Orbi satellites, so I might look at a couple of them in the future to see if I can extend my range. I've got 110 at both my irrigation pumps, so with a few outdoor satellites, I could potentially get around 20 acres of coverage.

I will say the only hassle with the Orbi system was that either Costco had a bunch of these in storage for a couple of years, or Netgear is WAY behind in sending out routers with current firmware. When I went to set up my guest network, it wasn't there. After spending like 30 minutes searching forums,  I discovered that guest networks were added to the Orbi in updated firmware. Mine was 1.2.0.6. Current firmware is 2.3.0.32 - WTF Netgear!?!

That wouldn't have been bad, except there was no going from my firmware straight to the latest version. There were literally 30 firmware updates between me and the current version. By trial and error, I was able to skip from say, 1.2.0.6 to 1.8.0.20, but then I had to do that manually up the chain until 1.12.0.8, at which time it recognized automatic firmware updates. So I had something like 12 manual updates to do (4 updates * 3 devices) before the router and satellites would start updating themselves. And several of those manual updates messed up router/satellite connectivity and I had to go through several iterations of relinking sats and router. So that was a hassle.

Now that everything is up to date though, it's pretty smooth and seamless sailing. Outside, my phone just goes to the closest satellite without looking for some extender network, so no burps as I move from one coverage area to another. So overall, happy.

I'm also happy with my fixed wireless so far. The tech was good about putting my antenna in an inconspicuous (and safe from high winds) area of my roof that still has an unobstructed view of my assigned microwave relay. At the old place the antenna was right on the highest part of the roof, sticking out like a sore thumb. This one is pointed at a hill in Oregon, and I'm at a currently underused location. I signed up for 10mb for $80/mo (versus 5mb for $110/mo at the old place) and am currently getting 18-20mb during the day. At night it can drop to around 8-10, which the tech said to expect because of the netflix and whatnot, but that's still plenty good so that I can finally start watching hidef TV again without a bunch of buffering or auto resolution drops.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 02:11:36 PM »
It drops to 8-10 mb in the evening because of Netflix?  Sure it does.  Can't possibly be folks getting home from work and getting their daily pron fix.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »
It drops to 8-10 mb in the evening because of Netflix?  Sure it does.  Can't possibly be folks getting home from work and getting their daily pron fix.   ;)

I'm sure he didn't want to be indelicate.  :lol:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
^^^Yeah, but you are what, only downloading for three minutes at a time or so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.