Author Topic: Portland Paramedic stabbed in attack while stopped at a traffic light  (Read 628 times)

Regolith

• friend
https://katu.com/news/local/police-paramedic-stabbed-in-attack-while-stopped-at-a-traffic-light

Suspect has been arrested. He attempted to get into the ambulance while it was stopped at the light; he wasn't already a patient. The paramedic was stabbed when he tried to stop the suspect from getting inside.

Police haven't stated the motive or who the suspect was, but from the look of him he's homeless and/or was looking to score some opioids.

According to the news segment that just ran on TV, this incident (and probably others like them) are prompting some companies to think about putting auto door locks on the ambulances. Maybe.

Anyone hear from AmbulanceDriver lately? Last I heard, he was still in the Portland area... =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Portland Paramedic stabbed in attack while stopped at a traffic light
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:01 PM »

Anyone hear from AmbulanceDriver lately? Last I heard, he was still in the Portland area... =|

He posted on Facebook the other day with pics of him and his kids. I don't think he drives the Ambulance anymore, he might work in dispatch IIRC.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »
He posted a picture of snow in Portland 3 hrs ago, so it's not him.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »
Nope.   wasn't me.  was one of my medics.   I was dispatching when it happened.  I don't have a ton of info, and I'm restricted in what I can share, other than the fact that our medic is ok.  Our ambulances do have electronic door locks, but they have to be manually activated - they don't automatically lock at 15 or 20 mph like on some vehicles.  I imagine a policy of "doors locked at all times" is forthcoming.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy