Author Topic: Making a federal case out of everything.  (Read 1256 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Making a federal case out of everything.
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:48 PM »
Can someone explain this to me?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/03/26/teen-boys-rated-their-female-classmates-based-looks-girls-fought-back/?utm_term=.8d559c8e1607

The headline says the girls "fought back." OK, I know it probably hurt (some of) their feelings, but "fought back"? An odd choice of words. Were they attacked? Were they harassed?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Making a federal case out of everything.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 02:45:07 AM »
If my son was involved in something like that he'd get a reckoning he'd regret needing.

That said, if we're honest, pretty much everyone does that (ranking and rating based on whatever criteria they prefer) in their own head with every member of sex they're attracted to.  Girls do it just as much as boys, they just don't admit to it as often.
Formerly sumpnz

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:56:40 AM »
It'd be dumb but not a Federal case!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:09:09 PM »
Lists like this one had silently circulated among teen boys for generations, and it has happened in more recent years at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, too, the students said. But it was happening now, in the era of the #MeToo movement. Women had been standing up to harassment in workplaces and on college campuses and the high school girls, who had been witnessing this empowerment, decided they weren’t going to let the issue slide.

So they're claiming the mere existence of a hot-or-not list is harassment, and by throwing a fit about it, they will be "empowered."

They felt uncomfortable getting up to go to the bathroom, worried that the boys might be scanning them and “editing their decimal points,” said Lee Schwartz, one of the other senior girls on the list.

So being a normal male is "toxic."

Unsatisfied with the disciplinary action, Schmidt texted about 15 girls she knew, and told them to tell all of their friends to show up at the school’s main office the next day during lunch, “to tell them we feel unsafe in this environment and we are tired of this toxicity,” Schmidt wrote in her text.

About 40 senior girls showed up, packing into an assistant principal’s office as Schmidt read a statement she had written.

“We want to know what the school is doing to ensure our safety and security,” Schmidt said. “We should be able to learn in an environment without the constant presence of objectification and misogyny.”

In which we learn that an online list that apparently wasn't being talked about by its editors is "a constant presence," and misogynistic. Because having an opinion about how attractive a girl is must be misogynistic, apparently. Also, the list somehow threatens their safety. Although the school had, for some reason, punished a student for the harmless list, the young womyn decided they needed to keep kvetching, until they got more attention.

Sitting toward the center of the room during the meeting was the male student credited with creating the list, an 18-year-old senior in the IB program. After listening to all of the girls’ speeches, many of which were directed specifically to him, he stood up and spoke to the group, admitting to making the list and apologizing for the hurt it caused.

“It was quite intense, being so directly confronted in front of so many people for so long,” the student recalled in an interview with The Washington Post, speaking on the condition of anonymity out of fear of the repercussions he could face.

And now they're having show trials, and the young man feels unsafe. How un-toxic.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:55:12 PM »
So they're claiming the mere existence of a hot-or-not list is harassment, and by throwing a fit about it, they will be "empowered."

Not to mention lower on said lists...

Good luck on NOT becoming a crazy cat lady.

I mean, the list had apparently been created years earlier, and the boys weren't dumb enough to tell the girls their positions.  At least not without losing opsec on it.

Realistically, that's my take on this.  Not a failure in making the list, but not keeping up opsec on it so it doesn't become public.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »

I mean, the list had apparently been created years earlier, and the boys weren't dumb enough to tell the girls their positions.  At least not without losing opsec on it.

Realistically, that's my take on this.  Not a failure in making the list, but not keeping up opsec on it so it doesn't become public.

One is left to speculate that the real objection to the list may well be that the objectors didn't rate very highly. This is a definite case of "This article is worthless without pictures."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
One is left to speculate that the real objection to the list may well be that the objectors didn't rate very highly. This is a definite case of "This article is worthless without pictures."
I can't read the article as a subscription thing pops up, but I can see a picture (most of it) of 3 of the girls involved.  They are not ugly. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

I mean, the list had apparently been created years earlier, and the boys weren't dumb enough to tell the girls their positions.

Phrasing.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »
I can't read the article as a subscription thing pops up, but I can see a picture (most of it) of 3 of the girls involved.  They are not ugly. 

Not ugly, but far from hot. I was able to search out some other stories on this, with other photos. IMHO, none of the complaining girls are exactly ugly, but definitely none are hot (nor would they have been considered hot when I was in high school).

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »
If my son was involved in something like that he'd get a reckoning he'd regret needing.

That said, if we're honest, pretty much everyone does that (ranking and rating based on whatever criteria they prefer) in their own head with every member of sex they're attracted to.  Girls do it just as much as boys, they just don't admit to it as often.

Ummm... So, by your second sentence, you'd punish your son for normal human behavior?

I'd admonish my son for leaving a paper trail, but not for acting like a teenage boy.

Are we supposed to pretend that it isn't normal for boys to notice that some girls are better looking than others and also going to pretend that making those judgements is evil?

Our world is insane.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 12:45:38 AM »
Both sexes compare notes. Leaving a "paper trail" is the issue.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 01:18:59 AM »
Ummm... So, by your second sentence, you'd punish your son for normal human behavior?

I'd admonish my son for leaving a paper trail, but not for acting like a teenage boy.

Are we supposed to pretend that it isn't normal for boys to notice that some girls are better looking than others and also going to pretend that making those judgements is evil?

Our world is insane.

The paper trail, and generally being dumb enough to let that data exist outside of his head.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
Obviously, if such a list gets out there, it's going to hurt feelings. So having the list out there on the internet is a case of less-than-stellar judgment. It's almost as if the perpetrators were a bunch of teen boys.  ;/  So, yeah Gillette, I'm saying boys will be boys. It applies here.

This sounds to me like something the school could have just ignored, or at most, they might have sent a letter home to parents. Let all the parents at the school know what their boys are up to, and what the girls are having to deal with. Instead, the school wanted to indulge the girls' "me too" hysteria. Predictable, sadly.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
What laws (or even what school regulations) were broken by the boys deciding that Alice is prettier (or "hotter") than Geraldine?

I don't think anyone should be punished for "violating" laws/regulations that don't exist. If something isn't illegal ... it's legal.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
Girls are silly.

Play-acting at "empowerment."

Boys are stupid.

I know 'cause I was one.  :old:

School had to do "something" rather than "nothing."

Internet posters must post.  Anything.  

"Good luck on NOT becoming a crazy cat lady."  :rofl:  :rofl:

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »

School had to do "something" rather than "nothing."

Why?

And, for the record, "because!" is not an answer.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
Why?

And, for the record, "because!" is not an answer.

Because the girls used the magic words, "we feel unsafe".  So the school had to do something.  (IMHO, the thing they should have done is say "that's ridiculous")
"It's good, though..."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
I have a good female friend who owns a horse farm/boarding barn. Often I’m the the only guy there when I go over to ride or help with chores. Those ladies of various ages from late teens to over fifty talk way worse than any male locker room I’ve ever been in. This situation seems way overblown to me. You can be guaranteed these girls were rating the young me as well when talking with each other, they probably just didn’t put anything on paper.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
Because the girls used the magic words, "we feel unsafe".  So the school had to do something.  (IMHO, the thing they should have done is say "that's ridiculous")

THe appropriate answer to "We feel unsafe" is also "Why?"

Once again, "Because!" is not an answer.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 02:33:30 AM »
Isn't this how Facebook started ??  Boys rating the girls at their school ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.