Author Topic: DEA looking for a Houston contractor who can burn Thousands of pounds of pot  (Read 698 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/dea-looking-for-a-houston-contractor-who-can-burn-thousands-of-pounds-of-pot/285-1fbdc361-f734-4e5c-bf13-05c85464f09d
DEA looking for a Houston contractor who can burn Thousands of pounds of pot

Rumor has it that Willie Nelson is looking at moving to Houston.  Think of the job applications for this one.  Free pot!  Must be consumed on site.
There are special requirements for the job. The contractor must be able to incinerate various items like papers, cassette tapes, bulk marijuana, pharmaceuticals, and other incidental controlled substances.

Pot Glut Creates Gathering Economic Crisis in Oregon
FEATURED BY
The contractor must be able to burn at 1,000 pounds of marijuana per hour and for a minimum of eight consecutive hours per day.

After we posted this, the DEA sent us this statement to post:

"Although we appreciate local citizens’ willingness to offer their help, this is a complicated, large-scale government contract we’re required by law to bid every few years, and there are usually only a handful of companies with the necessary facilities and resources to help us dispose of this material. While it makes for an interesting headline, the truth is far more prosaic - our agents working across the Houston Division make a huge number of great cases, and as a result, we seize a tremendous amount of illegal drugs. Arranging for the save and effective destruction of these drugs is just part of the job."

On the serious side, I am curious how the air permit would be set up since you may not know what the DEA will have you burning.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
<nostalgia time>

I don't know about other stores, but the big retail place I worked at (before all the burning regulations came into effect) had a huge industrial incinerator (with an "afterburner") to burn all the trash --especially the many many cardboard boxes the merchandise came in.  I doubt any of those still exist, but even if they did, I'm sure you couldn't get a burning permit for anything nowadays, let alone pot.

I can foresee a conflict between the Sheriff, DEA, or whoever versus the local pollution control authority.  (Yes, I "get" the joke about Willy Nelson.)

Also, every house had a simple incinerator in the yard by the alley for household trash.  One episode of "Father Knows Best" has the mother (Jane Wyatt) having to order Bud (the son,  Billy Gray) to go burn the trash several times.  I remember they were pretty stinky.

Boulder, Colorado used to have an official Christmas Tree Bonfire every year.  Now that was impressive ! It's amazing how fast a well dried-out Christmas tree goes up.

</nostalgia time>

Withal, I always wondered how the alternative disposal methods (composting, the City Dump, "recycling" ?) affected the atmosphere overall as compared to simply burning trash.  Let alone pot.

Terry

Pic credit in properties

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:40:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Get stuff hot enough, it gets rid of most of the pollutants. 

It ends up being like designing a car's pollution system.  Rather than just straight burning stuff, you'd build a gasifier, where the materials being "burned" are primarily actually just baked to the point that they emit combustible fumes.  The fumes are sucked down into a combustion chamber under the materials, where air is added and the resultant mix is actually burned, at temperatures far higher than just burning the stuff above would allow.  This heats the materials much hotter than said stuff would normally burn at, thus making them emit more combustible fumes...

Then you put some pollution controls in the stack to take care of things like NOx compounds.  Though even those should burn in the combustion chamber...  But we're cleaning up traces here. 

One can even set up a sort of conveyor system where goods moving in to be burned are gradually heated using heat from the exhaust to do things like evaporate out as much water as practical early on.

Complex to set up, but actually simple to operate.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Withal, I always wondered how the alternative disposal methods (composting, the City Dump, "recycling" ?) affected the atmosphere overall as compared to simply burning trash.  Let alone pot.

I currently live in the town where I grew up. We can pretty much tell how long someone has been in town by how they refer to the trash facility. In the "good old days," it was an open dump behind the town hall. My cousin and I frequently made stops there on the way home on days when we rode our bicycles to school to see what goodies we could unearth.

Then the town moved the open dump to a tract of vacant land they bought on the western edge of town. When the state clamped down on open dumps, the open dump became a "sanitary landfill." That just meant that every day or so, after people had dumped all their trash, the landfill operators (recycled public works truck drivers) dropped some dirt on top of the trash and scraped it around a bit.

And then that operation reached what the state, in its infinite wisdom, had decreed was the capacity limit for "sanitary landfill" operations, so adjacent to that the town constructed a transfer station. Now all our trash goes into dumpsters and is then hauled off by various companies to various places, depending on the nature of the trash. There's a dumpster for construction debris, a dumpster for metal (large stuff, like bicycles, lawn mowers, etc.), a dumpster for recyclables, and a pair of compactor dumpsters for ordinary household waste.

The former "sanitary landfill" is quite a mount, and we tend to call it Mount Trashmore. Interestingly, there are a number of white tubes sticking up out of the ground around Mount Trashmore. Those are monitoring wellpoints. It seems all that trash under the many layers of fill is decomposing and emitting methane gas, and the state periodically checks the wellpoints to see how much methane is being released into the atmosphere. This has been going on for about thirty years, and as far as I know Mount Trashmore is still outgassing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
When I was a kid, Burger King in Lafayette, LA had an incinerator out back. My friend lived right behind it and we would sneak over and throw stuff in it to see what happened when it burned. A Champagne bottle, half full of water, and solidly recorked, made one hell of a boom!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Um, yeah, but Hawkmoon, are they actually doing anything with that methane monitoring?  Is there some threshold of CH4 which triggers some kind of response?  Or are they just reporting the numbers to someone else somewhere else... and what do they do with the data?

<nostalgia alert>

Which reminds me that when I lived in Boulder, there were at least two underground fires burning.  One was under what is now the Boulder R & P Club Range, which used to be a trash dump, the other was out by Marshall, Colorado just south of town which was an abandoned coal mine happily burning away down there.

In both cases, one could see smoke coming up out of the ground.

</nostalgia alert>

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
. . . Also, every house had a simple incinerator in the yard by the alley for household trash.  One episode of "Father Knows Best" has the mother (Jane Wyatt) having to order Bud (the son,  Billy Gray) to go burn the trash several times.  I remember they were pretty stinky . . .
A few of the oldest houses on my block and in my neighborhood in Chicago still had an old concrete incinerator out back by the alley - I don't remember them ever actually being used.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain