Author Topic: Pressure cooker gasket  (Read 656 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Pressure cooker gasket
« on: March 30, 2019, 10:15:54 AM »
I used my 1986 pressure cooker/canner (the dates are stamped on the bottom) last night to try making some dark invert sugar.  The pressure cooker has the original lid gasket, but it was okay when I started.  When I took the lid off (after an hour of processing @ 15 lbs) the gasket fell out and had stretched at least an inch.  From what I've read, the usual failure mode is the gaskets shrink.  I can sorta stuff the gasket back in place but the edges are wavy and twisted and I can't get the lid on.  32 years isn't bad for a gasket...

Now I get to try to find a replacement gasket; Mirro doesn't make them anymore.  I don't trust the ones on Amazon.  Goodman's claims to have an aftermarket replacement for it.  I'm going to check the local Ace Hardware first to see if they have a new old-stock original gasket.

Finally to the point:  I poured an ounce or two of vinegar in when I started to keep hard water deposits off the jars and to remove some of the stains in the canner.  Usually, when I remember, I use citric acid or cream of tartar for that.  Could the acetic acid fumes have attacked the gasket?  The gasket was gray rubber; probably not natural rubber.  I don't want to ruin the new gaskets.  And I especially don't want to ruin the gasket in my big canner; it's even older.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Pressure cooker gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
I bought my last gasket set at Ace Hardware. I have a Mirro 21 quart pressure canner. I need to get a new set before canning season.

I've never gotten more than a 3-4 years of out any gasket, of course any sign of shrinking or swelling I get a new one. To me its not the risk of being scalded by 10lbs of steam.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »
If Ace doesn't have one, I think I will order 2 from Goodman's, plus a spare for my bigger Mirro canner.  (The really big one is a Presto that's just a couple of years old and I don't use it much.  Yes I have 3 pressure canners :D)
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
If Ace doesn't have one, I think I will order 2 from Goodman's, plus a spare for my bigger Mirro canner.  (The really big one is a Presto that's just a couple of years old and I don't use it much.  Yes I have 3 pressure canners :D)

I used to have 2-21 qt canners. Gave one to a family that bought an acreage because i wasn't ising it. Plus they let me store my 23' sailboat there during the winter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
I bought my last gasket set at Ace Hardware. I have a Mirro 21 quart pressure canner. I need to get a new set before canning season.

I've never gotten more than a 3-4 years of out any gasket, of course any sign of shrinking or swelling I get a new one. To me its not the risk of being scalded by 10lbs of steam.

My son -in-law used to drive a truck for Ace Hardware.  (They are an excellent company that treats their employees well.)  He once stated that they generally stock gaskets for pressure cookers, no matter how old they are.

We have two 20 quart ones, and use them a lot.  Our local 4-H extension office will test them for free, so we take them in every spring.  The pressure gauges on them are junk, so make sure they test that also.  We've had one that was several pounds off when it was brand new.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »
The Ace Hardware that used to be a Hardware Hank, and stocked obsolete parts for all kinds of things closed a few months ago.  I don't know what they did with their stock of oddball parts, probably threw it all away. :'(  I went to two other Ace stores and they only had a very small selection of Presto gaskets.  (Lehman's online has the same 2 or 3 Presto gaskets and nothing for Mirro) I will have to order gaskets online from Goodman's or a pressure cooker specialty shop.

Ace Hardware online has the Mirro gasket for my midsized canner even tho' it's older (1982) and they'll ship to the store for free.  I think it takes the same gasket as their big 20-something quart model that they've made forever, that's probably why it's still available.
"It's good, though..."