Author Topic: Mikshake Delivery  (Read 1003 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mikshake Delivery
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
While the story is disgusting (and how does a company just blow this off?), I'm almost more concerned about who calls for home delivery of a single milkshake? Kids these days! :old:

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/deliveryman-caught-sneaking-sip-of-customers-milkshake
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Mikshake Delivery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
What's a mikshake? Is it just a mik that has been shaken?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
Dunno about "milk shakes," I think that's what we called "malted milks" or "malts" in NY.

Mom & Pop and I used to go to this soda fountain / diner / malt shop* for hamburgers and hot dogs after an outing to Kissena Park and one day we caught the guy behind the counter pouring some of my choc'lit malt from the mixing thingie into his own glass and drinking it, and even raising it like a toast to his partner.  So not a direct contact, but still, was drinking some of my malt.

Pop was moderately miffed and had a few quiet Navyisms for him and we never went back.

Ruined a good regular "outing" for us.

I guess there were unethical people even back then, late 1940s.  They still breed, I reckon.

And I can't imagine anyone ordering one single thing to be delivered unless it was fairly pricey and big.  Bit I'm not clear that was actually stated in the article.

But then again, there are a lot of things I can't imagine.

Terry

* Think "Happy Days" and Ritchie Cunningham and like that there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:14:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
Milk, ice cream, flavored syrup, blender = shake/ milkshake
Milk, ice cream, flavored syrup, malt (powder or syrup), blender= Malt/ malted milk

Sometimes there's a little left in the metal mixer cup. Sometimes goes with the glass sometimes the mixer's treat. No set protocol.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »

Sometimes there's a little left in the metal mixer cup. Sometimes goes with the glass sometimes the mixer's treat. No set protocol.

How I understood it, except for Maid-Rite in Marshalltown, IA, they fill a little glass with the milk shake and put the metal mixer glass next to it. As you enjoy your milkshake, you refill your own glass.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
Milkshake = frappe = malted milk.  More or less.

Milkshakes are thick, frappes are thin, malted milk must have malt in it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 03:00:13 PM »
How I understood it, except for Maid-Rite in Marshalltown, IA, they fill a little glass with the milk shake and put the metal mixer glass next to it. As you enjoy your milkshake, you refill your own glass.

That's the way I remember it.  But in Noo Yawk.  And malted.

Ancillary/curiosity:  Did they have "Egg Creams" in Iowa?  I was surprised they didn't have them out here when we moved to Colorado.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »
Who knew people argue about what a milkshake is? The only kind I've ever known are made with ice cream, milk, and nothing else (e.g., you're typical vanilla shake), or else ice cream, milk, and add some flavor or fruit or whatever else. Then blend in a blender. Or else when I was a kid, my mom would actually mix them by hand, and my house was always popular during Summer vacation.  :laugh:

Anyway, in an effort to find out why people seem to have different definitions, I did the gazoogles. Who knew what all "milkshake" meant?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+is+a+milkshake
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
There's no argument.  As far as I can tell, the difference is a milk shake with malt added is a "malted milk."  There's a distinct difference in flavor, and as far as I recall, a difference in texture.

I remember not liking "milk shakes," that much and being a bit disappointed that nobody "out here" made malteds.

It's like the "Egg Cream" I mentioned.  Nobody "out here" knew what one was, or if they did it might've been by a different name.

Regional stuff.

Sort of like checking out at the grocery store.  Out here putting the groceries in a sack was "sacking," but back east, putting them in a bag was "bagging."  However, I notice in recent years that difference is blurring.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:21:41 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 04:23:18 PM »

Ancillary/curiosity:  Did they have "Egg Creams" in Iowa?  I was surprised they didn't have them out here when we moved to Colorado.

There's a coffee shop around there that used to have them on the menu, but when I would ask for them, they'd usually tell me that the guy who knew how to make them wasn't there at the moment.  :facepalm:

I have managed to find them once or twice. Good stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 05:19:47 PM »
Back in the 1970s, it was widely believed that McDonald's "milkshakes" had very little (if any) ice cream in them, and were made using corn starch as a thickener. At the time, I was dating a girl who was allergic to corn starch, and she couldn't have McDonald's "milkshakes" because they set off her food allergy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 05:40:41 PM »
Egg Cream
(As I knew them from back in Noo Yawk as a yout'.)

Coca Cola glass or similar

Glass 3/4-ish full of club soda or seltzer, whichever is pure CO2 and water, that is, dilute H2CO3.  This, from the fountain spigot.

Add milk to 7/8 full.  This results in a white foam on top.

Delicately add a thin stream of choc'lit syrup through the white foam so as not to mix it.

Delicately mix the choc'lit syrup into the dilute H2CO3 with a thin spoon or a straw.

This results in a light choc'lit brown drink under a cover of white foam.

Delicious.  Takes longer to read this than to make one.

The 3/4 and 7/8 specifications are nominal and may be varied as desired or according to the shape of the glass.

There are local variations, hence the note about Noo Yawk and my yout'.  Other syrups such as strawberry or root beer may be used, but this was unheard of in Noo Yawk, it being a rather provincial and stiffnecked and stodgy place.   Quite deplorable, in fact.

However, note there are no eggs and no cream in a commercial Egg Cream confectionary beverage disunirregardless of where it is made.  I have no idea as to the etymology.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 06:11:17 PM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
Where's the egg?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

No egg creams here. I had to look that up, Yoohoo or Kayo is the closest thing we have to that.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Thanks.  And for the link.  I'd have passed over it as something vaguely to do with Marie Antoinette and let it go at that.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
 ???

Wouldn't you be clued in since the straw was unwrapped and already in the drink? I've never gotten a drink like that with the straw open and already in the cup unless I'm at a sit down restaurant (and even then, half the time they leave the paper on the top of the straw)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »
???

Wouldn't you be clued in since the straw was unwrapped and already in the drink? I've never gotten a drink like that with the straw open and already in the cup unless I'm at a sit down restaurant (and even then, half the time they leave the paper on the top of the straw)

I'm not 100% sure it was a totally truthful story.  Something may have triggered the thought, and the complainant then "took off" with it.  Your observation may be sort of like discovering a plot hole in a script.  It has the smell of originally having been a clickbait item.

I took it basically with a grain of salt, even though we were having fun with it.

Terry

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »
Was it Martin & Lewis or Amos & Andy?

https://youtu.be/A8X2SM0ioJ4?t=35
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden