Author Topic: Reminds me of Basic Training  (Read 1160 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Reminds me of Basic Training
« on: April 25, 2019, 06:18:55 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/715107132/the-affluent-homeless-a-sleeping-pod-a-hired-desk-and-a-handful-of-clothes?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The Millennial Rental economy and getting rid of/not owning Stuff.  A bunk and a wall locker. I'm also betting that he's not bringing back many girls to his place. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Reminds me of Basic Training
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
In my college dorm days, I was trying to follow the advice to not own any more (at the dorm) than I could carry in my two hands at a dead run.  (I think that was a Heinlein-esque concept.)

As time went on, I vowed I would never own more than I could carry by putting it in a blanket and gathering up the four corners thereof.

By my junior year, three roomates and I rented a house and the "two hands" and "four corners" had got changed into "my car."

Soon after than I got married and all bets were off.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
The sensational journalism tends to highlight people who live in human versions of insect hives.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
Millennial trends include spending money on experiences vs. things.  Our generation bought sports cars and houses, their is getting kidnapped backpacking in zimbabwe. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:45:09 AM »
Does someone come in at random times and throw all of their belongings into a pile in the middle of their pod?

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »
Millennial trends include spending money on experiences vs. things.  Our generation bought sports cars and houses, their is getting kidnapped backpacking in zimbabwe. 

I'm getting more into this.  Now, I still have a ton of crap, tools, guns, electronics and the like, but more and more My wife and I are spending our disposable income going to do stuff.  Concerts, travel stuff like that.

We are taking a week in Iceland next month, kind of on a whim.

We are NOT, however, Millennials.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »
I'm getting more into this.  Now, I still have a ton of crap, tools, guns, electronics and the like, but more and more My wife and I are spending our disposable income going to do stuff.  Concerts, travel stuff like that.

Same. Trying to reduce stuff around the house. My wife and I have bought very few new things in the last year, most things we need we buy through thrift stores.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »

You could have picked a lot worse place to go on a whim. Iceland is beautiful. Still kind of cool and rainy this time of year but at least you won't have horizontal snow to keep you indoors.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
The sensational journalism tends to highlight people who live in human versions of insect hives.

^^^ This.

I've lost track of how many Youtube videos I've seen about people living in -- and extolling the virtues of -- so-called "tiny houses." Many are about 10 feet by 10 feet -- 100 square feet. But those all seem to be in places like southern California. If you think about it, a minimal standard bathroom, as found in 1950s post-war tract housing, takes up 35 square feet (5x7). At least two of the four walls have to be interior walls, so just a bathroom really takes about 40 square feet out of the floor area of a house. Many of these so-called "tiny houses" are really more like "tiny bedrooms." There's one, in particular, that I remember because the person who made the video describes the owner of the "house" as sort of a guru of the movement. But -- his tiny house doesn't have a bathroom. He has a composting toilet located outside of the house. His shower uses rain water and is also outside of the house. The "house" has no kitchen -- he cooks and eats outdoors, under a tarp.

I need, at a minimum, a real bathroom, with hot and cold running water; a real kitchen, with hot and cold running water, a refrigerator, and at least a decent size microwave and a toaster oven; and room for a gun safe and reloading bench.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »
I’m a millennial and I have a real house and a real job and a real car. You hear about the sensationalized stories but there are plenty in my age group doing normal stuff and living normal lives. It’s just being normal doesn’t make for a good sensationalist “news” story or Facebook fodder.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:00:48 PM »
As someone who just moved around 40 years worth of accumulated crap (even after parsing down), I can actually relate to the Marie Kondo "Does it bring you joy?" thing. I'd really like to be better about cutting down what I own, and I'm by no means a hoarder. Part of it of course relates to your living situation. Now on a farm where I take a more active roll, versus just leasing the land out 100%, I actually find myself accumulating more damn stuff and wishing I didn't leave other stuff behind.

It won't be long before I start dreaming of a one bedroom cabin on a lake somewhere, filled only with what I could get in the back of my pickup.  :laugh: I think there's a big difference between not accumulating stuff though, and moving yourself into something the size of a prison cell.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:44:15 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
I'm tired of hearing about "tiny houses." How is it even newsworthy? My house is small. Maybe NPR can send a reporter my way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »
I'm tired of hearing about "tiny houses." How is it even newsworthy? My house is small. Maybe NPR can send a reporter my way.

You're not woke.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »

You could reach out to them, start a website, or get a Facebook account to tell the world about it.

In my bachelor days, my favorite digs was a 900 sq ft 2 bedroom house with a 3000 sq ft yard and one stall garage. Now I live in a 4 bedroom 2600 sg ft house with a 3/4 acre yard. I miss the small place most days.

Here's my bachelor house
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
You could reach out to them, start a website, or get a Facebook account to tell the world about it.

In my bachelor days, my favorite digs was a 900 sq ft 2 bedroom house with a 3000 sq ft yard and one stall garage. Now I live in a 4 bedroom 2600 sg ft house with a 3/4 acre yard. I miss the small place most days.

Here's my bachelor house

When I was a kid I somewhere came up with a small booklet of house plans, titled (IIRC) "Houses for Homemakers." It was published in the late 1940s, and was almost certainly intended for soldiers who had come home after the war and were looking for their first house. Most of the plans in it were what would by the standards of the late 40s have been considered starter houses -- similar in style and size to the house my father bought in 1946. Even the largest of the houses in that book would probably be regarded as too small and substandard by most Americans today (and, ironically, MUCH too big for the "tiny houses" advocates).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
I would love to have a sub-1000sqft house if I was single.  I would like to have a decent size garage, but all I need in a house is a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and living area.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »

We did a 12 days last fall,  if you have any questions feel free to hit me up in PM.  I can't wait to go back, but there's a lot of things I'd have done different had I known better.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »

Guy has small-ish house - more at 10!

The goober in the OP is only doing what a million poor people already do. He's just such a privileged ponce, he thinks he's doing something neato. Or maybe he got the idea from The Blind Side.

This and the tiny house stuff reminds me of what someone said (I think it was Camille Paglia). To paraphrase, there's a combination of ignorance and privilege in the West, so that many of us think iPhones and arugula and lattes and general creature comforts are just the way things are. In reality, those things come from lots of hard work, infrastructure, and centuries of progress.

So these guys think they're doing something different here - they're not.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
My idea of a perfect "tiny house"

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »
Guy has small-ish house

Better than 85% of the crap on HGTV
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536