Author Topic: NIMBY  (Read 1908 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: NIMBY
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »
Recall seeing a story with photos where a home owner was trying to get the local range shut down because he claimed rounds from the range were striking his house. Trouble was the "bullets" he provided as proof were fresh out of the box unfired 223s, the "bullet" holes that were in the side of his house that he also provided as proof all appeared in the photos to come from a downward angle (in other words the ground). To add insult to injury the range fired in the opposite direction.

Further proof that ricochets are dangerous!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
The Sig Academy range here in NH had a similar problem in 2017.  Bullets were exiting the range onto Hwy 101, which runs right past the range.  

I had not heard of that.

I'm also reminded of the 600-yard KD range at Camp Curtis Guild in Wakefield Reading, MA, which was shut down some 30 years ago due to unproven allegations of bullet strikes on homes downrange.  Of course, the range was there first.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
The biggest outdoor range around here went through that several years ago. They were closed for a long time, then reopened with baffles over the shooting stations to limit elevation, and the 300-yard portion of the range has never reopened. But ...

I have had multiple people tell me that the original complaints about "bullets" hitting a house proved to be another case of someone displaying a complete, unfired cartridge and claiming that's what hit his house. On the other hand, a couple of years ago I met a contractor who says HE was the guy who first found bullet holes in the house, when he was doing some repairs on it. He's basically anti-gun, but I don't think he's anti-gun enough that he would fabricate evidence to help shut down a commercial shooting range that's nowhere near where he lived.

You never know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 02:20:09 PM »
Interestingly, at least in part of California, there are "freedom to farm" laws because one too many people sued after moving into a subdivision constructed next to a dairy farm or something that had been there for decades. In pretty much the whole San Joaquin Valley, even if you live in a house in the middle of a city surrounded by shopping malls, when you buy the house, you are required to sign a "right to farm" document that indicates you acknowledge farming is taking place and tough luck for you if you don't like the smell, you knew what you were getting into.

Meanwhile, I still occasionally lurk on Calguns and saw that the public shooting area I used to frequent in the National forest was shutdown by anti-gun activists*. Seems to be a growing trend in National Forests in CA, so uit's interesting the pull state activists seem to have on Federal policy. From what I've been reading, my old gun club is probably not far behind. They are using both the "native lands" excuse and the "lead contamination" excuse.

* I do have to place part of the blame on shooters. Some regulars there would get together and clean up trash once every few months, but slobs, gang bangers, etc., would continue to pollute it, and the unofficial name of the place was "The Glass Factory" for a reason. Also appliances, propane tanks (several fires started), etc. The cleanup group would regularly fill 2-3 of the big 30 yard dumpsters on a cleanup. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."