Author Topic: Hunters: start wearing fluorescent pink  (Read 848 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Hunters: start wearing fluorescent pink
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:03:34 PM »
https://crosscut.com/2019/04/pink-could-be-safer-hunting-will-anyone-wear-it?utm_source=crosscut-facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3jlHNrO0Je3tu6ENLGZzRa408PanF-SPEZFuGSts89ddZvf_r_a6j-xso

I am pretty consistent wearing neon green or orange on the bicycles and motorcycle for visibility.  I am going to start looking for the fluorescent pink out in the field to see how it stands out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Hunters: start wearing fluorescent pink
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
What branch of science (or "science") is it that studies vision? And why don't the morons behind this talk to the people who do those studies?

Pink is a HORRIBLE choice. A very large percentage of white males (who are probably the largest statistical group among American hunters) have red-green deficient color vision. What happens when you have red-green weakness? I can tell you, because I have it. Pink doesn't look pink (whatever pink looks like). Pink looks ... gray. Somebody out in the woods wearing pink would NOT stand out to me. They might as well be wearing full camo.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:46:27 AM »
A hunter wearing orange is able to be spotted 3+ miles away with the naked eye.  I know because I've seen hunters that far away.  I guarantee that pink would be less noticable from especially long distances.  The reason orange was chosen is that it is so visible to the human eye, while appearing grey to ungulates.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 12:52:26 AM »
What branch of science (or "science") is it that studies vision? And why don't the morons behind this talk to the people who do those studies?

Pink is a HORRIBLE choice. A very large percentage of white males (who are probably the largest statistical group among American hunters) have red-green deficient color vision. What happens when you have red-green weakness? I can tell you, because I have it. Pink doesn't look pink (whatever pink looks like). Pink looks ... gray. Somebody out in the woods wearing pink would NOT stand out to me. They might as well be wearing full camo.

That's interesting. How does orange look to you?  What about chartreuse?  (bright greenish-yellowish, like a not-red firetruck)  I would expect red/green deficiency to make all of they look dull.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
Quote from: zxcvbob
That's interesting. How does orange look to you?  What about chartreuse?  (bright greenish-yellowish, like a not-red firetruck)  I would expect red/green deficiency to make all of they look dull.

I dunno how orange looks to me. I can see orange, but whether it looks to me the same as it looks to you is highly debatable.

Chartreuse? I don't have a clue what that's supposed to look like. If it's what I think it is, it looks either gray or muddy brown.

One of the first major emotional traumas in my life was when I used purple to color the ocean when I was in kindergarten and I got teased for it. I didn't know it was purple -- I couldn't see the red in it, to me it looked like navy blue.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »
I dunno how orange looks to me. I can see orange, but whether it looks to me the same as it looks to you is highly debatable.

Chartreuse? I don't have a clue what that's supposed to look like. If it's what I think it is, it looks either gray or muddy brown.

One of the first major emotional traumas in my life was when I used purple to color the ocean when I was in kindergarten and I got teased for it. I didn't know it was purple -- I couldn't see the red in it, to me it looked like navy blue.

I'm colorblind also. Pink would be a terrible idea, for the same reasons.

On the how we see color: For my birthday last year, my in-laws bought me some colorblind glasses.

They claim to filter certain wavelengths to let you see color normally.

I can't speak to if it really works, but it lets me see colors differently. For example, I have a purple shirt and a blue shirt that look almost identical to me, just barely a different shade.

Put the glasses on and the difference couldn't be clearer. Other colors become MUCH more vibrant.

Pinks, even ones I could see before seem fluorescent to me. Blood red becomes a bright color instead of a deep color. Sky blue ( as in the actual sky) becomes.... Uhh... More blue?

Construction/hunter orange ( here's where it applies) goes from pleasant, deep orange (as I usually see it) to an obnoxious orange, which is likely more what it appears to normal people.

Effectively, most colors are subdued to me without the glasses. Gives me an idea of how people have strong feelings about color choices. (Mostly I don't care.)

Yellow seems the only color unaffected by the glasses. Whether that means i see it correctly or the glasses just don't change it, I can't say.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 07:23:25 AM »
Blaze orange is a much more visible color, I can see it a mile or more away on a clear day- if it’s not faded, it pretty much glows.
The pink movement is about trying to be inclusive, since pink camouflage is pretty popular with certain sections of the female population, whether they hunt or not.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 08:04:15 AM »
“Back in the day, it wasn’t pink that got me interested. It was just wanting to do it and blazing the trails,” says Ingle, now 45. “My club really started to promote women in the outdoors and make it acceptable. It’s a different world today than it was when I was 19 as far as acceptability, so why would we distinguish ourselves again and put that judgment back on ourselves? It's like, ‘Oh you're a woman so you're different than us.’"

"We’re just different sexes. We don't need different colors.”

THIS THIS THIS THIS
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds