Author Topic: Illegal Pot Increases in CA  (Read 608 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Illegal Pot Increases in CA
« on: April 27, 2019, 11:05:38 AM »
Interesting article. Unlike neighboring OR, CA is seeing an increase in black market pot after legalization. I'm too lazy to look at the taxes for legal sellers in each state, but I can't think of another reason besides higher prices and costs of regulation in the legal market.

Apparently OR has a massive surplus of the legal stuff. I've been reading local news stories that pot shops in Ontario, OR have the parking lots mostly full of Idaho (where the Governor just said no legal pot on his watch) license plates.

Funny that the legal sellers are demanding that the cops get busy. I wonder how many of them were illegal sellers themselves just a couple of years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/us/marijuana-california-legalization.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Illegal Pot Increases in CA
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:08:02 AM »

Funny that the legal sellers are demanding that the cops get busy. I wonder how many of them were illegal sellers themselves just a couple of years ago.

Near enough to call it all of them.  At least the growers and retail shop owners.  Probably lots of drones at the shops that only got into selling once it was legal.
Formerly sumpnz

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »
Of course California *expletive deleted*ed up selling weed.
High taxes, high permitting and startup fees, extremely stringent QC requirements. 

Great series on CA's pot industry called "murder mountain" on Netflix.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 02:01:51 PM »
If I were a California druggie, (or Colorado, or any of those other drug meccas) I'd be MUCH more likely to start growing my own weed rather than pay Cali taxes on the stuff in the pot shops.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 03:00:07 PM »
According to an article last year from Leafy magazine, California's price per gram (figuring in all taxes, etc.) isn't the highest -- Nevada's is. That's wholesale, but it should fairly well mirror to final price.

This is the take away...

"Nevada’s wholesale prices are the most expensive at $4 per gram, followed by California at $2.43, Colorado at $1.93 and Oregon at just $1.33 per gram wholesale."

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry/cannabis-price-collapse-putting-billions-in-consumers-pockets

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 03:26:35 PM »
Of course California *expletive deleted*ed up selling weed.
High taxes, high permitting and startup fees, extremely stringent QC requirements. 

Great series on CA's pot industry called "murder mountain" on Netflix.

Chuckle chuckle.  Sounds like gun retail in that state.  I wonder if the residents will ever see the parallels.

Chuckle chuckle.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-06/which-states-have-highest-taxes-marijuana

The linked article covers the other expenses beyond sales tax.  It also notes that California has black market sales about twice as large as legal sales.  Had California politicians read the study they commissioned (Rand Center for Drug Policy Research???) they might have been prepared for the huge black market and the effect that has had on collected taxes.