Author Topic: Flushing cremains down the toilet can lead to criminal charges  (Read 577 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/ashes-get-flushed-482091

I was interested to see the charge of 'abusing a corpse'.  I always thought of a corpse as an intact body, not a body that has been burned to ash and then crushed in a hammer mill to the texture of fine sand.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Flushing cremains down the toilet can lead to criminal charges
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 10:42:21 AM »
Interesting. In Pennsylvania, when we were trying to figure out what to do with Mom and Dad, we found out that there are really no rules for disposal of cremains.

In the end, we scattered them in the garden of the house where Dad grew up and which Mom and Dad bought from my Grandparents.

Also scattered 7 of their dogs in the same garden.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »
FWIW, a friend of mine ran into this WRT the National Forests:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cibola/passes-permits/other

Neither burial nor scattering of ashes are an appropriate use of the forests and are not authorized on the lands of the National Forest System. The placing of remains creates a permanent occupancy of the land and the placing of headstones or monuments documenting the location are similarly permanent. Placing of statues, flowers and other items of remembrance would be considered a monument.

Bolding mine.  "Scattering" includes aerially.

WRT the OP, I'm fairly sure it's purely a psychological problem.  The result would be "scattering" into the discharge fluids of the sewer plant and into the discharge solids going to the landfill.  I don't see it as any different from otherwise "scattering" except for the psychological aspects.  I don't see it as abuse of a corpse any more than orbiting Rodenberry's ashes or firing Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon, though that was by request of the deceased.

Terry, 230RN

MORE:
https://www.perfectmemorials.com/guides/7-things-you-need-to-know-before-scattering-ashes/

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:49:42 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 03:27:19 PM »
I wonder if you could mix remains with Sky Writing smoke and get a plane to spell out an appropriate message.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
Looking at the story:

1.  The charges might be primarily due to disposing of the ashes without permission rather than just the method by which he did it. 

2.  Sounds like a wonderful son.  I am sure she could make sure someone else gets custody of her ashes after she dies.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 09:02:33 PM »
My maternal grandparents were both (at their request) cremated and their ashes spread on the water of Penobscot Bay in Maine. So I guess by the logic of this article that's equivalent to burial at sea.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
We did a "burial at sea" when I was on my first boat, a retired Master Chief submariner.
We surfaced about 20 miles off the coast of Southern California and the Co, OOD and COB were in the bridge with the lookout. The Co read from the book and the OOD had the honors of scattering the ashes.
He neglected to take windward and leeward into consideration.
The ashes blew back into their faces and swirled around inside the bridge. All 3 of the bridge occupants managed to inhale a bit of the Master Chief. Being as the boat was still wet, a considerable amount of the cremains stuck in the various cracks and crevices in the bridge.
I'd bet money he was still there when the boat was decommissioned.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
I would like my ashes scattered in the Kisatchie National Forest near Pollock, LA near Big or Little Creek. If that's to big a PITA, I simply don't care what is done with my remains. Seriously. I don't want anyone crying/feeling down over something I have left behind. Ya want to remember or morn me? Get together with friends, good, preferably live music, remember the good/funny, and have fun. THAT would make me happy.

Speedy Mercer
5/1/2019
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 10:33:12 PM »
I want my ashes put in a small wood model boat, with a Barbie doll, elk jerky, and a 50ml sample bottle of single malt scotch.  Take out into Makah Bay (on the northwest tip of the Olympic Peninsula in WA) close to Strawberry Island and put it in the water.  Douse it with oil and have someone shoot it with a flaming arrow. 
Formerly sumpnz

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:42:12 PM »
Off to Valhalla!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!