Author Topic: May the Fourth...  (Read 2220 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
May the Fourth...
« on: May 02, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »
...be with you.

Anyone got plans for a Star Wars marathon for the day, or has Disney ruined the franchise sufficiently to deter that behavior any more?

We're talking about a partial marathon in my house and I proposed the following selections:

Clone Wars animated movie
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Left out Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones because they're the weakest of the prequels.  Left out the original '77 movie because two movies dealing with the first Death Star just seems excessive for a Marathon, and Rogue One has a far better space battle, and sets a more despairing tone for the state of the galaxy (gives the Empire a triple-win in a row!).  Left out the sequels, because...I don't really want to see them. 

What would you choose for a SW franchise marathon?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: May the Fourth...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Up until rogue one, the correct order to watch them in was:

A new hope
Empire strikes back
Attack of the clones
Revenge of the sith
Return of the jedi

You might be able to watch rogue one first, but it's not really necessary.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
Peter Mayhew, the original Chewbacca, died three days ago in his North Texas home.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/peter-mayhew-dead-dies-chewbecca-star-wars-1203203816/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
Peter Mayhew, the original Chewbacca, died three days ago in his North Texas home.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/peter-mayhew-dead-dies-chewbecca-star-wars-1203203816/

I'm surprised that didn't get more airplay.
It does explain  the disturbance I felt in the force though.

RIP Chewbacca.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
Up until rogue one, the correct order to watch them in was:

A new hope
Empire strikes back
Attack of the clones
Revenge of the sith
Return of the jedi

You might be able to watch rogue one first, but it's not really necessary.

I don't think I've ever watched them in that order, though I can understand the reason for this order.  Might be interesting.  It's the same number of movies as my proposed selection.  I'll stew on it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 08:45:13 PM »
That's going to hit Barack pretty hard. How old was Michelle?

Oh you mean that Chewbacca. Nevermind.  :P

Was that a violation of the no names thingy?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
I don't think I've ever watched them in that order, though I can understand the reason for this order.  Might be interesting.  It's the same number of movies as my proposed selection.  I'll stew on it.

I showed them in that order to someone who had never seen them. When asked later about jar-jar, he wasn't sure  who it was.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »
...be with you.

Anyone got plans for a Star Wars marathon for the day, or has Disney ruined the franchise sufficiently to deter that behavior any more?

We're talking about a partial marathon in my house and I proposed the following selections:

Clone Wars animated movie
Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

That seems like ideal to me,  though I've never seen any Clone Wars stuff.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:35 PM »
I think I would like to rewatch the Prequel series.  It has been a while.  I have seen some clips that point out that it was a work of art compared to the most recent series. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
I'm going to my nephew's birthday party. He's turning 4 on Saturday. That's about it as far as plans.

I got him one of these: https://www.melissaanddoug.com/band-in-a-box---hum-jangle-shake/1318.html#product-details

>:D

I've pretty much lost interest in the series over the past couple of years, in part due to Disney's "offerings."
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:43 AM »
I only celebrate Cinco de Quatro.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 05:36:42 AM »
I get the nerd stuff about Star Wars, but no one ever says the date as, "May the 4th."  People say, "May 4th" or "The 4th of May," but "May the 4th" doesn't make sense.  /pedantic rant.

On another note, Sunday is May the 5th.  May the mayo be in your sink.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »
Disney ruined Star Wars for me.

I of course grew up on the originals. I actually liked the prequels, didn’t think they were as good as the originals, but I still enjoyed them and the story still had somewhat of a continuity. Roque One was actually good in my opinion. Force Awakens was ok, felt like a new hope repeat, but I could forgive that if the movies got better. I thought there was room for good future with Skywalker training Rey, hoped Kylo might become less of a whiny emo child and felt there was potential for interesting Snoke story.

The Last Jedi was just plain awful in most every way possible and blew up any decent continuity or interest for me in any future movies. I have zero interest in seeing another Star Wars movie ever again now.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 09:07:34 AM »
I'm going to my nephew's birthday party. He's turning 4 on Saturday. That's about it as far as plans.

I got him one of these: https://www.melissaanddoug.com/band-in-a-box---hum-jangle-shake/1318.html#product-details

>:D

I've pretty much lost interest in the series over the past couple of years, in part due to Disney's "offerings."

So you want your sibling and his/her spouse to hate you till eternity.   :rofl: :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
I'm pretty soured on the "new" Star Wars, but as we already own the originals, I'm not yet soured on them.

No plans, but we may end up watching "A New Hope" on Saturday.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
I dropped Star wars a few of them back. Well remember when the first one came out though and it was something back then. I was in the Navy IIRC, yup, 77.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:31 PM »
So you want your sibling and his/her spouse to hate you till eternity.   :rofl: :rofl:

I'm just trying to help the kid become musically literate. It's entirely for educational purposes, and not at all a practical joke on my sister/b-i-l.  :angel:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
Disney didn't ruin the franchise. Its own popularity did. It went from being a good trilogy that many people liked in the 70s and 80s (but with a hardcore fan-base that kept it alive), to being an inescapable franchise that just kept going until the hype began to oversell the actual product. A familiar story these days.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 08:30:32 PM »
That and Disney was determined to push out movies at a fast pace and probably didn't hire the best people to ride herd on it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 09:29:15 PM »
Saw the Avengers on May 4th.  Was disappointed how they brought Vader back and he killed Deadpool.  Pathetic.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »
Saw the Avengers on May 4th.  Was disappointed how they brought Vader back and he killed Deadpool.  Pathetic.

lol
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »

At least you didn't reveal that Superman died.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 11:49:12 PM »
At least you didn't reveal that Superman died.

Again?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
I get the nerd stuff about Star Wars, but no one ever says the date as, "May the 4th."  People say, "May 4th" or "The 4th of May," but "May the 4th" doesn't make sense.  /pedantic rant.

Incorrect. "May the fourth" might be less common, but you see it every now and then. It's funny you should bring that up, because people think the same thing about Yoda. They think his funny ideas about word order in sentences is just because he's a weird green alien that talks funny. In fact, his mode of speech is simply archaic, which makes sense, because he is so much older than the other characters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
So ..... Yoda=Chaucer.  [tinfoil] [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero