Author Topic: Another example of how the majority of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name...  (Read 920 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/this-is-not-your-fathers-law-firm-suit-says-squabble-is-over-right-to-name

Attorney, George Sink, is suing his son, George Sink, Jr., who is also an attorney.  Reason?  After daddy fired son, son went and opened his own law firm.  So daddy is suing son because son named his firm the George Sink Law Firm, LLC, which daddy says is too close to the name of his firm, which is called George Sink P.A. Injury Lawyers.  Daddy is claiming that this trademark infringement, unfair competition and deceptive trade practices.  IN addition to (surprise) monetary damages, daddy wants the court to order son to use his nickname from growing up, Ted or Teddy, and prohibit son from using the name George Sink in any way.  Son says it is his legal name, given by daddy, so he has every right to use it for his business.

Any wonder why people hate lawyers???
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
The lawsuit says the younger George Sink was a marketing employee in his father’s Charleston-based law firm before he went to law school and joined the bar in 2016. The younger lawyer began handling client matters in his father’s law firm in March 2018, but his employment was terminated less than a year later, the suit says.
His father didn't keep him around long. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Obviously, one of them was too honest for the other.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ned Hamford

• friend
Obviously, one of them was too honest for the other.

Or, apple may not have fallen far from the tree.  I'm just doing what you taught me dad, but even better! 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Based on the annoyance of the constant retarded commercials for George Sink I think this ought to be settled by a duel. With the father having an unloaded pistol.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
In a somewhat embarrassed fashion, since we're talking about attorneys, I can see his point.  In effect the son is taking advantage of the fathers name recognition.  But that's as far as I can go, I don't know what the law says about such things.  If I needed a lawyer anybody named Sink would be down the drain.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Griz I live in an area unfortunately beseiged with his commercials. He’s a pure ambulance chaser of the lowest type, and his commercials are absolutely directed towards the ghetto class who “just want dey money*”

*“Dey money” is actually your money, until they cut you off, swerving into your lane and slammed the brakes in the classic guaranteed payoff insurance scam common down here
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
I guess instead of trading on his father's good name he's trading on his father's sleazy name.  Certainly not admirable but could still be profitable.  In any case, there seems plenty enough sleaze to go around.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
I guess I could start a new thread, but this seems like a good place for it. 

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/02/ethics-seminar-lawyers-say-theyd-report-client-legally-owning-gun/#.XMxEOjMyC48.twitter
In Ethics Seminar, Lawyers Say They’d Report A Client For Legally Owning A Gun

I would think this would open up a lawyer to liability or disbarment, but since other lawyers would be involved in trying to do that, I wouldn't count on that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
I guess I could start a new thread, but this seems like a good place for it. 

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/02/ethics-seminar-lawyers-say-theyd-report-client-legally-owning-gun/#.XMxEOjMyC48.twitter
In Ethics Seminar, Lawyers Say They’d Report A Client For Legally Owning A Gun

I would think this would open up a lawyer to liability or disbarment, but since other lawyers would be involved in trying to do that, I wouldn't count on that.

Shades of Minority Report where you're guilty before a crime has even occurred?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
What happened to attorney-client privilege?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:25:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Yet another example that tells me Dick the Butcher may have been on the right track.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams