Author Topic: Zero zero  (Read 1053 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Zero zero
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Zero ceiling, zero visibility.  

Mulling that over on my couch, sipping my AM coffee.

Temperature is smack dab on the dew point.  Aeronautical ceiling is the altitude of your toenails.  Visibility less than a mile, which is apparently the limit for aeroplaning around in one of those magnificent machines the magnificent men fly.  In.

Notably quiet, no airplane noise.  Come to think of it, no I-70 road noise, either.  I wonder if they shut it down due to heavy fog.  I should check that out.  Maybe it's just that the road noise has been absorbed by water particles in the air or something like that.  I wonder about that for a minute as a physics problem.  Brain then asks if water particles in the air might affect the air density enough to noticeably affect bullet trajectory in long range shooting.

Shut up brain.  Just enjoy the foggy moorish morning.  Not that you'd even be able to see a long range target. Shut up, brain.

I can't even see the south pasture fence.  I'm in an apartment building in a transitional multi-family/agricultural zoning area, and as it happens, it is surrounded by pasture.  They call them "flag lots" hereabouts.  Looong driveway right of way, the flagpole, to forty acre flag shaped plots.  On one of which my building sits.

7:54AM

Finished coffee.

Zero zero

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Zero zero
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »
Zero zero doesn't keep all of those intrepid airmen firmly planted on Mother Earth. We had a few pilots that were certified for zero zero operations but for the most part unless it was a true life and death (Medevac or SAR) evolution we would just sit our happy posteriors on the runway waiting for the visibility to hit 1/4 mile. Then we could feel better about blasting off into the wild blue (it is always blue when you get high enough) and if we had an emergency that required us to make an immediate return we had a better chance of seeing the runway.

I love still or foggy mornings, the noises of civilization muted and sometimes absent, maybe a lone train whistle in the distance. It helps calm my soul for what is sure to come later in the day when people start their routines and the noise of civilization becomes a constant drone in the background.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
I used to get completely zero visibility fog when I lived on top of a mountain. I’m talking about can’t see past your hood fog. I would have to get out of the truck to find the edge of my driveway
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
WOXOF

Indefinite Ceiling Zero, Visibility Zero Due to Fog
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 03:27:30 PM »
WOXOF

WOXON

Same thing as above but in opposite direction.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »
WOXON

Same thing as above but in opposite direction.

That would be CAVOK.  Ceiling And Visibility OK.

Then there is DSAQ.  Dark and Scary All Quadrants.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
Watching carrier ops in those conditions is scary. Only seen one worse. Sea dead calm, no ripple. Hazy. Sunset. Water reflection same exact as the sky. Horizon not visible because the reflection was so perfect.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »

I love still or foggy mornings, the noises of civilization muted and sometimes absent, maybe a lone train whistle in the distance. It helps calm my soul for what is sure to come later in the day when people start their routines and the noise of civilization becomes a constant drone in the background.

bob

Well, here's your train whistles...

https://youtu.be/feSCpDimsQI

I used to get the same feeling from hooting ships and boats and belled buoys in New York Harbor.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 07:35:51 PM »
WOXOF

[/quote

Old skool.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 07:36:19 PM »
Zero ceiling, zero visibility.  

Mulling that over on my couch, sipping my AM coffee.

Temperature is smack dab on the dew point.  Aeronautical ceiling is the altitude of your toenails.  Visibility less than a mile, which is apparently the limit for aeroplaning around in one of those magnificent machines the magnificent men fly.  In.

Notably quiet, no airplane noise.  Come to think of it, no I-70 road noise, either.  I wonder if they shut it down due to heavy fog.  I should check that out.  Maybe it's just that the road noise has been absorbed by water particles in the air or something like that.  I wonder about that for a minute as a physics problem.  Brain then asks if water particles in the air might affect the air density enough to noticeably affect bullet trajectory in long range shooting.

Shut up brain.  Just enjoy the foggy moorish morning.  Not that you'd even be able to see a long range target. Shut up, brain.

I can't even see the south pasture fence.  I'm in an apartment building in a transitional multi-family/agricultural zoning area, and as it happens, it is surrounded by pasture.  They call them "flag lots" hereabouts.  Looong driveway right of way, the flagpole, to forty acre flag shaped plots.  On one of which my building sits.

7:54AM

Finished coffee.

Zero zero

Terry

Nearest airport 3 letter code?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
BJC

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Probably be the same thing tomorrow about that time.  Dew point = temperature, 40°F, 100% humidity.  (The graph will reflect conditions and predictions at the time you click the link.  It is now 6:44 PM Tuesday.  But knowing Colorado as I do, it may be a glorious sunny day tomorrow after all, despite the prediction as of now.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:44:21 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Hey Jamis,

My new job overlooks the tower and main terminal at Dulles.

I know that's not where you work, but that didn't keep me from flipping the tower the bird in your honor!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 10:12:14 PM »