Author Topic: Oil Changes: Idaho (Oregon) vs CA  (Read 507 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Oil Changes: Idaho (Oregon) vs CA
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:44 PM »
While I change the oil myself on my F150, I have mentioned here before that I don't have the patience to do it on my 4Runner because of all the skid plate, etc. removal. I've always sucked up the cost and taken it to the local Toyota dealer, which in CA, usually with a coupon, ran right at $90-$100 just for the oil change.

I just took my 4Runner to the local Toyota place here, which is actually in Oregon, and got the oil change, a tire rotation, a car wash, and they had a bottle of water sitting in the cupholder for me - $60 and out in 30 minutes. It's nearly $40 for me to do just the oil change myself.

Plus they setup my next appointment for the Toyota airbag recall and because "it might be 3-4 hours" are throwing in a loaner car, which I have never, ever gotten in any CA dealership for a less than one day (or more than one day for that matter) service.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Oil Changes: Idaho (Oregon) vs CA
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
It's like you have been transported to a strange new world where you matter. How weird is that?????

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:49 PM »
Oh crap... I keep forgetting that I have an open passenger side airbag recall on my Forester I need to deal with. Should have taken care of it when I was off for a month, but there we are...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »
Around here, I think you can still get them for less than $40, unless you need pricey, high-mileage oil.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »
It's like you have been transported to a strange new world where you matter. How weird is that?????

bob

Funny, in two months I've kinda started hating going to Nampa because of the traffic and Nampa-ites for some reason being very rude from my interactions with them. Almost anywhere else in the surrounding area is way better, which is why I took the 4Runner to Oregon instead of Nampa.

Then in an almost Twilight Zone kind of way, Eastern Oregon is exceptionally friendly. I don't think I've yet made it out of the Home Despot in Ontario without at least one long conversation with someone I've never met about some random subject.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
I got the airbag replaced on my Ranger last month, and SWMBO is getting her Corolla done tomorrow.  I get to play chauffeur tonight and tomorrow.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
Around here, I think you can still get them for less than $40, unless you need pricey, high-mileage oil.

Here too, if you go to a Jiffy Lube kind of place, but I won't do that. I also use full synthetic in both vehicles, and the high dollar stuff in the truck because of the turbos.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Oh crap... I keep forgetting that I have an open passenger side airbag recall on my Forester I need to deal with. Should have taken care of it when I was off for a month, but there we are...

What year? I did the recall on my impreza. Guess it worked, no airbag grenade when I totalled it on a deer! :D There is one now for the brake light switch. Seems minor, except it kills ABS if the switch fails. And if you have keyless start there is no way to start the car. Way to make a forty cent part matter Subaru!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:44:40 PM »
What year? I did the recall on my impreza. Guess it worked, no airbag grenade when I totalled it on a deer! :D There is one now for the brake light switch. Seems minor, except it kills ABS if the switch fails. And if you have keyless start there is no way to start the car. Way to make a forty cent part matter Subaru!

I recently did a year-old recall on my F150 because apparently the doors will either freeze shut at sub 32 temps or else will freeze "open" and go ahead and open while you're driving. I never bothered in CA, but got it done before I moved to Idaho since it could affect me here. Of course the Ford dealership in CA chingased up the door lock stems so the driver's side barely rises flush to the door panel when unlocked and disappears when locked, and the passenger side sticks up like two inches.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:48:09 AM »
Iz that crappy California or crappy service tech in California?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:27 AM »
"What year? I did the recall on my impreza. Guess it worked, no airbag grenade when I totalled it on a deer! Cheesy There is one now for the brake light switch. Seems minor, except it kills ABS if the switch fails. And if you have keyless start there is no way to start the car. Way to make a forty cent part matter Subaru!"

It's a 2012. Only the passenger side airbag is under recall. I don't carry people around in the front seat all that much so it's not been a huge deal for me. I'm not sure but I don't think the brake light switch recall hits the Forester, at least of my year. I'll have to look into it a bit more closely.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.