Author Topic: Hybird cars too deadly!  (Read 1856 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Hybird cars too deadly!
« on: February 14, 2007, 08:58:35 AM »
Wonderful, just wonderful. grin

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070214/ts_alt_afp/usautohybridpedestriansaccident_070214034245

WASHINGTON (AFP) - An association of blind Americans has warned that cars with hybrid engines using electricy and fuel are dangerously too quiet for pedestrians.

ADVERTISEMENT

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) said hybrid cars pose a risk to the blind, children, the elderly, cyclists and distracted pedestrians.

The group said it conducted tests with blind people.

"We had the car drive by in different situations, to see wether or not people could hear it and use the sound of the car to safely cross the street, and they could not. The car was just silent," NFB spokesman John Pare told AFP.

Pare said NFB does not want to add to noise pollution, but hybrid cars should not be less noisy than other cars.

Chris Danielsen, a 36-year-old NFB member, said up to 30 people took part in tests on a side street and in an alleyway with a Toyota Prius and a Honda Civic.

"We all stood on the side of the street and the idea was to raise your hand as you heard the car approach," Danielsen said.

"We generally couldn't sense that it was there right in front of us, which of course, if we had been standing in the road, would have been running right over us," he said.

"By the time anybody detected it, if we had actually been standing in the road, it would have taken out three or four people."

Barbara Pries, a member of NFB's pedestrian security committee, said no blind person has been killed by a hybrid car but some have reported having near accidents.

"It's just a matter of time before people are going to get injured and killed," she said.

Nearly 4,900 pedestrians were killed in road accidents in the United Stats in 2005, according the government figures.

NFB said it contacted Toyota, Honda and Ford in vain to ask that a noise or signal could be added to their hybrids.

Toyota representatives said there were no current plans to change its hybrid but that it was looking into improving pedestrian safety.

"We are aware of this issue and studying a way to improve pedestrian safety. It's important that the solution doesn't add to noise pollution but is good for pedestrians," said Toyota spokeswoman Martha Voss.

But another Toyota spokesman, Xavier Dominici, said the trend was toward quieter cars and that people should start getting used to them.

"There is a lot of ambient noise and the trends toward quiet powertrains in all vehicle has raised the need for additional caution to be exercised by pedestrians and drivers as well," he said.

"Part of it is also acclimating your ear to that noise. Frankly the sound of an automobile is changing as more quiet powertrains and hybrid vehicles come to dominate the market," he said
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mattw

• friend
Re: Hybird cars too deadly!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:06:15 AM »
the blind, children, the elderly, cyclists and distracted pedestrians.

Aren't these the exact people that have no business near the street anyway?

How would that end up legally if you killed a blind guy with your hybrid? You are boxed in traffic, if you stop you get rear ended and cause a pile up and probably still slide into the guy, you can't switch lanes and this guy just appears in the street. You run him over. Is that your fault or his fault? I think its his fault for being blind, knowing he is blind, and still venturing out into the roadways.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
I've been saying this for ages. When all cars run on electricity I'm probably going to get run over. I rely way too much on my hearing when crossing quiet side streets.

Some cars are pretty quiet anyway.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

mattw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:10:29 AM »
God forbid people actually pay attention when they cross the street! I don't know what the hell these blind people are going to do, maybe they should all get dogs or something. But the rest of us can continue to rely on our sight and hearing combined.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
Loud pipes save lives?

Maybe cities should require a person to walk in front of a hybrid announcing it's presence like early drives were forced to do when driving their early cars in cities.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
the blind, children, the elderly, cyclists and distracted pedestrians.

Aren't these the exact people that have no business near the street anyway?

How would that end up legally if you killed a blind guy with your hybrid? You are boxed in traffic, if you stop you get rear ended and cause a pile up and probably still slide into the guy, you can't switch lanes and this guy just appears in the street. You run him over. Is that your fault or his fault? I think its his fault for being blind, knowing he is blind, and still venturing out into the roadways.

Are you drunk?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
I, for one, am all for car being quieter.  The amount of noise pollution they create in urban areas generates a great deal of stress for the people who live and work there.  You might not be aware of that constant background stress.  But, remember the last time the power went out, and the building you were in went dead silent?  Remember the feeling of reduced stress, and relaxation, that you felt at the time?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
so we have deer whistles for cars, why not subtle audibles for sight impared people? 

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »
so we have deer whistles for cars, why not subtle audibles for sight impared people? 

Perhaps all quiet cars should have a loudspeaker system through which is played engine noise. You might drive a Prius, but you can sound like a Lamborghini.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
why not subtle audibles for sight impared people?
It's called a horn.  grin

Juuusssst kidding...  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 03:14:24 PM »
Like the "tactile alert system" is commonly known as the "bumper"?

Looks like yet another "conflicting rights" issue.  The blind have the same right to walk the streets as anyone else, however, they don't have the right to insist that the rest of us have noisier cars or spend a lot of time, money and effort accomodating their blindness.  The accomodations are up to them, as they have the problem, not the sighted.

It sucks when life deals you a bad hand.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 03:36:31 PM »
I've heard electric cars, and they certainly aren't silent.  Tire noise alone is enough to give away their presence.

It sucks to be blind, but whining about silent cars isn't going to help you any.  Adapt and overcome.

mattw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »

crt360

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »
I, for one, am all for car being quieter.  The amount of noise pollution they create in urban areas generates a great deal of stress for the people who live and work there.  You might not be aware of that constant background stress.  But, remember the last time the power went out, and the building you were in went dead silent?  Remember the feeling of reduced stress, and relaxation, that you felt at the time?

I used to enjoy silence, until the ringing in my ear got too loud.  Constant background noise keeps me from going insane.
For entertainment purposes only.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »
Boy, the National Federation for the Blind would love the straight pipes on my Shovelhead...   grin 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 06:12:03 PM »

I used to enjoy silence, until the ringing in my ear got too loud.  Constant background noise keeps me from going insane.

Form a Federation and start a drive for special treatment...  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »
It is 2007.  We should be making cars that go woopwoopwoopwoopwoop like in the Jetsons.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 04:22:15 AM »
Just put off road tires on all the electrics.  They won't be silent anymore. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mfree

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »
Hehehe, how about the sound of a squeaky belt?

I did hear that one EV maker was using horse hooves for a "moving" sound...

----
EDIT: Oh, what an idea... it's as simple as putting two tubes in behind the front hubcaps, sealed on the ends with ball bearings in them, opposed around the axle. When moving slowly the bearings clatter in the tubes as they fall from one side to the other. With speed, they get flung out to the ends and are silent.

Y'all can patent that one if you want, I've got more Smiley

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 07:11:08 AM »
No, no, no.  To make horsey sounds, you use coconuts, silly knave. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »
Or just use spoked hubcaps and put cards in them.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge