Author Topic: Game of Thrones is all over. Spoilers  (Read 1521 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Game of Thrones is all over. Spoilers
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
Well, it's all over.

The last season was pretty much a bust, IMHO. They wasted a lot of time on filler episodes and the three that should have been absolutely epic were... well, you couldn't 'effin SEE anything in the battle with the Nightking, so that may have been epic but it mostly was just black. The battle over King's Landing was kind of boring and then I just did a  :facepalm:
The last episode... I do like how they resolved everyone's story and I do like who ended up ruling. I didn't see that coming. It was ... a nice episode. Which isn't bad, but after all this I did expect more umpff.

Agreed. I just finished season 6 and am planning on watching the first two episodes of season seven in a bit.

But when Bron and Jamie were approaching Riverrun and having one of their typical snarky conversations I actually stated out loud, despite the fact that there was no one in the room but one dog and the stupid cat, "If they kill Bron, I'm going to find the writers and GRRM and shove splintered 2x4's up their asses."

Although, I think at this point I'm really just watching to see Cearsi get killed. If she doesn't get a horrible, horrible death... I don't think I could stand it.

Very very disappointed. Her son chokes to death on his own blood at his wedding. Her Dad dies on the crapper. Don't tell me they couldn't come up with something more impressive.  :mad:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:30:49 PM by Jamisjockey »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Game of Thrones is all over.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
Dude, time zones, they apply to TV shows also!!!!! 

But that is OK, I have never watched a single episode of the show, in fact I thought it was only a few years old because until then there was no hype.  ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:02:08 AM »
Dude, time zones, they apply to TV shows also!!!!! 

Ummm ... don't you mean "Dudette"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 01:03:30 AM »
So tell me who "wins" in the end, so I'll never have to watch it.

And did the girl* that listed off names each night get to kill all those folks.  She was the only character I heard about that I liked...

https://reason.com/video/game-of-thrones-the-libertarian-edition/

* - Arya
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:27:51 AM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 01:20:29 AM »
Ummm ... don't you mean "Dudette"?

Yea, sorry little dudette!! ;)

bob

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 09:18:11 AM »
No spoilers...

I enjoyed it.  What I am enjoying almost as much as the series is the reaction of the fans to this season.  Fans are losing their minds over how the story has progressed.  They blame HBO, the writers, pretty much everyone but the dragons for how things went this season.  And the online petition to do the season all over makes me laugh.  I've got one friend who keeps going on and on about how the writers are getting this all wrong, and this isn't how it should end up. 

Now, I know that there is no book to work from, but I also saw an interview with George R.R. Martin in which he said that he shared his outlines with the creators of the show, and consulted with them on the scripts for this season.  Which means that this ending is pretty much how Martin was taking the series of novels.  There may be some difference in how he writes the end (if he ever gets around to it), but it's his story, and it looks like this is what he had in mind.  And all these people who say the ending is wrong, well, have another PBR, dry your tears, and wait for the novel to see what the man intended.  I'll be surprised if it doesn't generally match what we just saw, more or less.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 04:51:23 PM »
Well at least now the watchers of the show can be as disappointed as the readers of the books. :rofl:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
The problem was that HBO offered carte blanche to the writers,  and they said "Na,  we'll wrap it up in 6 episodes,  should be fine".  And then proceeded to ignore or *expletive deleted*it all over 7 seasons of intricate plot.  The result was a dumpster fire.  Years of lore, intrigue and subtle prophesy replaced with whatever you want to call season 8.

That being said, I still enjoyed it well enough.  It's sad when everything is perfect but the story.  Fun to watch,  but not satisfying.

I hope GRRM lives long enough to wrap the series up,  but I'm not holding my breath.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »
(hopefully not too much of a spoiler:)

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
The problem was that HBO offered carte blanche to the writers,  and they said "Na,  we'll wrap it up in 6 episodes,  should be fine".  And then proceeded to ignore or *expletive deleted*it all over 7 seasons of intricate plot.  The result was a dumpster fire.  Years of lore, intrigue and subtle prophesy replaced with whatever you want to call season 8.

That being said, I still enjoyed it well enough.  It's sad when everything is perfect but the story.  Fun to watch,  but not satisfying.

I hope GRRM lives long enough to wrap the series up,  but I'm not holding my breath.

Considering he seems to have wasted 10 years, I’m skeptical to say the least. Hence my previous comment about the ones who read the books being just as disappointed in the ending or lack there of. To be fair I’ve only seen maybe three of the first few episodes, kind had in mind I would finish the books first and wasn’t going to pay for HBO just for the show. The finishing the books hasn’t exactly worked out yet.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
I really could care less what GRRM decides to do if he ever actually finishes his version.

I read the first two books and finally gave up about a 4th of the way through the third... Actually, I didn't so much give up as I did fling it across the room in disgust.
The only reason I read that much is because I wanted to watch the stupid show that everyone was talking about* (and I won't watch something based on the book without reading the book first)

And, too be honest, I never considered the show to be the greatest, either. It's just significantly better than the books. A couple of the seasons, the only reason I kept watching was just to see certain characters die. It's certainly got some great acting and some of it's excellent, but, while it reined in the worst of GRRM's longwinded blathering, it still had a lot of boring filler that wasn't necessary to anything.

So, I'm just standing with the show being canon and GRRM (and his ego) can shove it. Season 8 was disappointing, but I'm so glad it's finally over that I'll take it and be happy with it.

*I read all four of the Fifty Shades of Grey books and read/watched the first Twighlight for the same reason. I want to see if the fuss is actually worthwhile. So far, the only time the fuss was worthwhile was Harry Potter. The fuss has been nothing but a disappointment to me since.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Game of Thrones is all over. Spoilers
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
Spoilers tag added. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 10:06:03 PM »
Martin worked closely with the writers and gave them broad plot lines that he had developed for subsequent books in the series.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »
I had to wait all day to post here - I've been watching one a day this week and just finished up.  :laugh:

Without more spoilers - I guess they wrapped it up okay, but most of this season, and especially the last episode,  seemed like a rushed Cliff Notes version of GoT to me. And yeah, I was kind of ticked at the cinematography for the Night King episode. It probably would have been one of the best episodes this season if I could have seen a damn thing through half of it.

I'm not sure if John Snow got what he really wanted or just got the short end of the stick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
And yeah, I was kind of ticked at the cinematography for the Night King episode. It probably would have been one of the best episodes this season if I could have seen a damn thing through half of it.

I'm not sure if John Snow got what he really wanted or just got the short end of the stick.

Funny, talking with a friend at work about these two issues.  We both liked the realism of the darkness at the Battle of Winterfell.  We both complained about war movies where nighttime battles are lit up like a Friday night football game.  (We're both Army vets).

On Jon Snow, when he went beyond the wall early in the series, he earned the respect of the Wildings to the point where they followed him south and joined his battle for mankind.  He goes back to them a friend and a hero.  May not have been what he wanted, but it ain't too bad, especially if he can find another redhead to keep him warm at night.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 11:36:18 PM »
Funny, talking with a friend at work about these two issues.  We both liked the realism of the darkness at the Battle of Winterfell.  We both complained about war movies where nighttime battles are lit up like a Friday night football game.  (We're both Army vets).

Actual nighttime battles aren't fictional events, staged and and filmed for entertainment purposes.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »
"but it ain't too bad, especially if he can find another redhead to keep him warm at night."

That redhead was named Ygritte. She was played by Rose Leslie.

Kit Harrington, who plays Jon Snow, married Rose Leslie last year.

He got his redhead to keep him warm.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
Far be it from me to not participate in a GOT thread, even though I’ve never even seen a single episode  :laugh:

Some here may find this take on the last season interesting.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
The whole final season was anticlimactic and felt upside down and reversed.

Rian Johnson could have written it, it was so "subversive" of expectations.

Eff Bran.  Seriously.  In the neck, with a sharpened rubber dong.  There's been no explanation in-show of the value of the 3-eyed raven or its role in making for a safe Westeros.  Having this worthless non-character be king is a dereliction of human self-sovereignty.  Might as well swear allegiance to an alien, or a dragon, or the night king, or the children of the forest.  He isn't human anymore.  He had zero value in confronting the Night King (other than only perhaps as bait).  he offered no added value in espionage, either against the Night King or against Cersei.

I'm glad the Jon left the Nights Watch at the end and went north with the rest of the Wildlings.  That sentence was garbage.

I was hoping for a greater redemption arc for Jamie Lannister.  F*cking Brianne and then running off to Cersei hours later in a fit of self-loathing wasn't the way I wanted to see him end.  He was so close to becoming a decent person.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
Is that GoT or the ending of Animal House?

I like how Davos and Ghost ended up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:31 PM »
For Tyrion, the text should have been "...died in his own bed at the age of eighty, with a belly full of wine and . . ."   you know the rest.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »