Author Topic: Time for the Annual "AC is Evil" Rants  (Read 891 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Time for the Annual "AC is Evil" Rants
« on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:14 AM »
Every Summer now, some social justice nitwits have to come out with reasons that AC is evil. Current issue" "Air conditioning is sexist."  ;/

PUT ON A SWEATER! Someone that's too cold can put on a sweater. If I'm too hot, there's only so much clothes that I can (or you want me to) take off.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/07/08/air-conditioning-is-sexist-charles-c-w-cooke-throws-ice-cold-water-on-the-anti-ac-movement/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Time for the Annual "AC is Evil" Rants
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
So it is sexist because she gets cold when sitting at her desk.   ;/

Charles C. W. Cooke

@charlescwcooke
Replying to @charlescwcooke
It’s boring because it’s inconsistently applied; we never read Luddite arguments against heating. It’s boring because, as a guy who has spent a lot of time in Europe and who has seen thousands die for want of air conditioning, it’s built atop a fantasy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:37 AM »
I think that AC is overused in this country and most buildings are kept at too low a temperature.

HOWEVER, that's a far cry from "get rid of AC!" Without AC, most of the southern US would be unlivable during the summer months. It's hard to be productive with sweat dripping down your face, occluding your eyes. This is, of course, aside from the weak and elderly that would literally die in some heat waves without AC.

You want it 72° year round? Go for it, so long as you're paying for it.

I'd prefer to keep at least some connection to the seasons, BUT I'm not about to sit in 100°+ temperatures in my home. Heck, I won't sit in 90° temperatures either.

I am going to keep it warm enough that seasonally appropriate clothing doesn't make you shiver inside.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:44 AM »
We have a couple like that. They're cranking the heat on in the dead of summer while the rest of us are giving serious consideration to adding shorts and flip flops as "business casual". They get all bent out of shape because somehow 98% of the people on staff being, you know, comfortable is somehow unacceptable.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Oddly enough, I'm freezing my ass off at my office today.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Time for the Annual "AC is Evil" Rants---Well, MINE IS!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:48:05 AM »
I'm going to tell you, MY AC IS  evil!!!!!!!
Saturday morning it stopped cooling!     :facepalm:

I called the AC repair guy.  Of course he was booked up!  Saturday it got 88 degrees in my house :mad:   And the humidity was horrid.

Sunday the humidity thankfully went down but it was still nasty .   Overhead fans help a bit.  Small 8"  portable helps too.

Today at 8:30 am  AC guy shows up! =D
Spends an hour tinkering .    

Then I'm told I need a new compressor and coil and it's GONNA COST BIG $$$$  and won't be pumping out cold until tomorrow!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So,   yes,  I agree with the loonie leftwingers;  AIR CONDITIONING IS EEEEEEVVVVIIIIILLLLLLL!!  

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 11:56:50 AM »
I had a big swamp cooler at the shop for 40 years and it worked fine.  Of course, our average humidity is around 15%, and on the rare humid day, they don't work very well.

That said, the new house has AC, and we keep it set at 75*.  It's wonderful!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 12:06:11 PM »
On an odd tangent: I was just looking at the site local town hall for their yard collection hours when I noticed a negative google review. The review was complaining about the Town using salt on roads, which is contaminating and poisoning waterways. I looked at his other reviews and found there were at least 10 where he was making the same negative reviews for various local businesses because they salted their parking lots during the winter. I noted that he had some pictures in his reviews, and yes, he drives a Prius (insert shocked face).
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »
AC- there are plenty of places in Central and South America where these environmentalists can go live one with nature in a house made of sticks. Of course they won't, because there is no public wifi, starbucks, nor whole foods to be found within  hundreds of miles.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »
We have a couple like that. They're cranking the heat on in the dead of summer while the rest of us are giving serious consideration to adding shorts and flip flops as "business casual". They get all bent out of shape because somehow 98% of the people on staff being, you know, comfortable is somehow unacceptable.

Brad
Most people I know who get cold just get those little heaters that sit under the desk or have a jacket/sweater at their desk.  I have one that I typically use in the winter.  They bought this standing desk which helps a lot when I am in the office all day.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
"little heaters that sit under the desk"

OMG! Double turbo evil!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »
Without AC, most of the southern US would be unlivable during the summer months. It's hard to be productive with sweat dripping down your face, occluding your eyes. This is, of course, aside from the weak and elderly that would literally die in some heat waves without AC.

I loves me some A/C, but people did manage (even in the South) to get along with it for nearly all of human history.

You want it 72° year round? Go for it, so long as you're paying for it.

72 year round would be miserable. It would be way too hot during a summer day, and a bit too cold at night, any time of year. It might even be a bit too warm on a winter day, unless you're just couch-surfing in your PJs all day.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
I loves me some A/C, but people did manage (even in the South) to get along with it for nearly all of human history.

They did, mainly by not doing a lot in the summertime.

I should have said: "Under modern work-day expectations." If you could have an afternoon siesta and a more laid-back attitude generally, you could survive well.

There's a reason the economic rise of the South occurred after the advent of air conditioning.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:44 PM »
They ban my AC and I'm giving up deodorant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »

72 year round would be miserable. It would be way too hot during a summer day, and a bit too cold at night, any time of year. It might even be a bit too warm on a winter day, unless you're just couch-surfing in your PJs all day.

I keep my house at 72 pretty much year round.  It's glorious.  The only time my themistat changes is when Mrs. Mush travels and I can set it to 69.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:06 PM »
71 here. On REALLY hot days it ALMOST keeps up with the heat and at night its nice and cool for good sleeping under a light sheet.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
The only time my themistat changes is when Mrs. Mush travels and I can set it to 69.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
I do 73 24 hours in the Summer and 69 during the day and 64 at night in the Winter.

I would actually set it cooler at night in the Summer except my bedroom is on the Northeast corner of the house, so it stays cooler than most of the rest of the house.  I can't sleep well in a warm room. I'll take a 50 deg room over a 80 deg room for sleeping.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
I keep my house at 72 pretty much year round.  It's glorious.  The only time my themistat changes is when Mrs. Mush travels and I can set it to 69.

I'm comfortable in the low 70s during the Summer and upper 60s during the winter. Mrs. Roadking is OK with the cooler temps in the winter but in the Summer she sets the thermostat to somewhere between "nuclear Winter" and "glaciate". Some mornings I have to knock the frost off the door knob on my way to work so I can unlock it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
We keep the house heated to 68 degrees in the fall/winter and cooled to 73 in the summer.  We like a cool bedroom for sleeping, so we often have a window open.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »
I've left the heat pump off entirely for probably 3 weeks now.  It's just not been warm enough to be worth turning on.  It's 77 in the house right now, but by morning it'll be 67.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 03:42:09 AM »
They ban my AC and I'm giving up deodorant.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

>:D :rofl: :rofl:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.