Author Topic: SFO Bans Bottled Water  (Read 931 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
SFO Bans Bottled Water
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »
San Francisco Airport has banned bottled water sales. Only water. You can still buy coke or whatever in plastic bottles. Instead, they want you to use "refill stations". No way. No how.

This is a stupid thing for an international airport to do. Especially in dirty, filthy San Francisco. I would never touch a refill station there knowing who might have been there before me. Not to mention, they are doing a San Francisco thing in an airport that handles tons of travelers from all over the country and all over the world. How are people supposed to know to bring their reusable water container with them? Or I guess they have to buy (an overpriced) one at the airport and then what - throw it away later on down the road?

Of all public places, an international airport is high on my list of where I want to be able to buy sealed water.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/08/20/san-francisco-international-airport-bans-the-sale-of-water-in-plastic-bottles/

Edit: Apparently you can buy water in aluminum cans, but of course that's more expensive and I'm guessing they won't sell liter cans for people who want more than 12oz of water.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
Re: SFO Bans Bottled Water
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
The left sure is petty.  It's bizarre.  There is not the smallest detail of your life these folks don't want to micromanage.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:46:13 PM by BTR »

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »
So glass bottles are ok to sell to bring on an airplane? Sounds like a weapon ...

I cannot drink municipal water. The chlorine taste is unpalatable. Like others I don't necessarily trust refill stations to be clean an sanitary even if it is filtered or otherwise made to remove the chlorine flavor.

Normally the only thing I ever buy in an airpot is bottled water, only because they won't let me bring my own.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »

Normally the only thing I ever buy in an airpot is bottled water, only because they won't let me bring my own.

Yeah, me too - either coffee or bottled water, because  I tossed my first serving before I had to go through security, which forces me to buy again. So the one healthy drink that airports sell is the one they make more difficult to buy. I've had a phobia about refill stations and soda stations ever since CS&D linked to some grody stuff here a couple years back.

My understanding is that CA is in a "recycling crisis" in that none of the poor third world countries they sent all their grody mixed recyclables to want them anymore, and private recycling centers are shutting down in CA left and right because incentives have gone away and they can't turn a profit without state funding. There was an article in the LA Times about it. Plastic is apparently one of the biggest money losers, so that probably has something to do with this, vs just "saving the planet".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »
The left sure is petty.  It's bizarre.  There is not the smallest detail of your life these folks don't want to micromanage.

"There must be something in the water over there.'

Wasn't there an SF City Council member who openly stated that people were incompetent to manage their own affairs, so government has to do it for them?  The last year or so?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:14:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 06:43:13 AM »
I literally just connected through SFO and wanted to buy a bottle of water to have on the long flight... I forgot to buy a bottle at my home airport. But I wandered up and down the intl terminal and didn't see any, so I did without. I went into one store that had every kind of sugar drink, but no water, which I just thought was weird, but now I get it.

Personally I don't have a problem with the fill stations I have used. I like to buy one bottle of water and refill it until it starts to get crunched up. I'm mostly concerned about the taste of the water and you can't be sure with the fill stations like you can with bottled water. Oh well, luckily I'm in Japan now where bottled water is legal...the bathroom fixtures work all work awesome too; as if they realized plumbing is a good thing and decided to keep doing it properly.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:44:33 AM »
I wonder if there is a decent filter you could get that would work for refilling bottles.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
I wonder if there is a decent filter you could get that would work for refilling bottles.

There's actually a bunch of integrated filter/bottles that would work fine for taste/questionable municipal water.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »
Tin-foil-hat on

They want you to drink the tap water which seems to have something in it

Tin-foil-hat off
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:55:59 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
Adrian Monk is not amused.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
The only water I want in an airport comes in cube form.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
Negroni on a plane?  You must fly on some fancy planes.   :P :O

Zahc, the fill statiions in SFO int'l terminal are filtered. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »
I'm just flying back into SFO now. It seems the loophole has been discovered, since everyone is stocking water in aluminum bottles, similar to the aluminum Coke bottles. I'm drinking one now that I bought at Burger King for $2.19.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
I'm just flying back into SFO now. It seems the loophole has been discovered, since everyone is stocking water in aluminum bottles, similar to the aluminum Coke bottles. I'm drinking one now that I bought at Burger King for $2.19.

Do they have caps, or are they like cans, where once they're opened, that's it?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »
They have caps, so technically they are reusable. But I always reused the plastic ones anyway.
--Tallpine