Author Topic: Does the cardiac polypill reduce the risk of heart attacks?  (Read 573 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Does the cardiac polypill reduce the risk of heart attacks?
« on: August 25, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/health/heart-disease-iran-study.html

There are a number of studies currently in progress about the polypill.  I wonder if this will become the standard of care in our lifetimes.  When you use generic drugs, the cost per pill is usually under a nickel.  If something like this was available over the counter at the local pharmacy, I would likely start taking it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Does the cardiac polypill reduce the risk of heart attacks?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
It only makes sense, one pill instead of 3. I presently lake losartan a combo of a diuretic and an ARB blocker. Not too much diuretic but enough and the ARB blocker to work in conjunction to lower my BP. I am not sure of the value of statins for all people, I was a statin for a while and when I had a cath the cardiologist said stop it, it wasn't needed because my plumbing was clean as a whistle. Many times those drugs are given for risk factors just in case. The side effects may or may not be something people can live with, I had to try all 4 of them before we found out I could tolerate the one.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
I have always had normal blood pressure, but I take 40 mg. simvastatin once daily to modify my lipid profile.  I also take a Centrum Silver, 5000 IU Vitamin D, and up until recently 81 mg. aspirin.  I am still on the fence regarding the aspirin, since I was taking it for primary prevention based on two risk factors, and recent literature suggests the risks of bleeding may outweigh the benefits.  Something to chat about with the internist later this year.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
The latest on aspirin is that if you are over 65 and don't have a history of heart problems, it would be smart to discontinue taking the aspirin.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw