Author Topic: Am I a Cheapskate, or are Newspaper Subscriptions Expensive?  (Read 2738 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Am I a Cheapskate, or are Newspaper Subscriptions Expensive?
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 07:38:13 AM »
I actually realized that the price I quoted is based on a 13 week introductory offer, and I based my annual numbers off that, so a full year would be more. How much more I don't know. They just say "regular rates", but they claim the 13 week special is 75% off. Kinda like the cable companies.

I got a really cheap digital access to our local rag.  I figured that they would try to auto-renew on me after said year, so I used a privacy.com virtual Visa credit card to buy the deal.  Sure enough after the year they tried to auto renew the subscription on me at a much higher rate.  It didn't go so well for them as privacy.com kept rejecting the charges, so the local rag sent me some nasty grams and I called them up and told them to cancel my subscription and they didn't fight it at all.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2019, 07:49:24 AM »
Noone really needs cable either.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »
My small town has a weekly paper. Usually runs 2 full sheets/8 pages and sometimes a half sheet for 10 pages. 75 cents from the paper box. I used to pick one up on Thursday nights on my way to work, mostly for the farm store sale flier insert.  When Oklahoma got open carry a few years ago the editor/owner ran an anti gun screed. It was mostly about how she didn't need to do business with people that carried guns and that they were not welcome in her business. I haven't bought a copy of her rag since. Her husband was a regular at the local gun store and I know he carried a Glock.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »
My small town has a weekly paper. Usually runs 2 full sheets/8 pages and sometimes a half sheet for 10 pages. 75 cents from the paper box. I used to pick one up on Thursday nights on my way to work, mostly for the farm store sale flier insert.  When Oklahoma got open carry a few years ago the editor/owner ran an anti gun screed. It was mostly about how she didn't need to do business with people that carried guns and that they were not welcome in her business. I haven't bought a copy of her rag since. Her husband was a regular at the local gun store and I know he carried a Glock.

She probably hasn't done business with him in years, either.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
^ <snort> <gag on sipped coffee>... <laugh>

But seriously, another case of "guns for me but not for thee.  I'm (or my hubby is) special.  Everybody else is deplorable riff-raff."

I'm just going to drive by respond to the title of this thread:. Yes and yes.

Echo dat.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:04:27 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.