Author Topic: Am I a Cheapskate, or are Newspaper Subscriptions Expensive?  (Read 2745 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Am I a Cheapskate, or are Newspaper Subscriptions Expensive?
« on: November 04, 2019, 08:20:30 AM »
I'm not sure if newspaper subscriptions are outrageously expensive, or if I'm just a cheapskate.

For some unknown reason, I've been able to bypass the Idaho Statesman's "three free articles a month" deal on my desktop computer and read all I want (never been able to do it on my phone). That suddenly stopped last week. I don't check out their website every day - maybe 3-4 times a week - but enough to consider subscribing. So I considered. Digital only is $150/yr. Digital plus print is $300/yr.

Am I crazy, or does that seem extremely high? I have the same issue with the Wall Street Journal, which I also like, whose articles I also can't read, and who also charges an arm and a leg for a subscription. It seems to me this is confined to newspapers versus other news sources.

I occasionally buy the Sunday edition of the WSJ, but the Statesman is something I would want to read more often. The price for it (and most newspapers apparently) just seems ridiculously high, especially for digital only access.  I wonder if lots of people pay that price, and if they halved it, how many more subscribers they might get? Or if they just cut down on, or eliminated their print editions (do people still get daily newspaper delivery?) if that would cut operating costs enough to lower digital rates?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Am I a Cheapskate, or are Newspaper Subscriptions Expensive?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
I'm not sure if newspaper subscriptions are outrageously expensive, or if I'm just a cheapskate.

For some unknown reason, I've been able to bypass the Idaho Statesman's "three free articles a month" deal on my desktop computer and read all I want (never been able to do it on my phone). That suddenly stopped last week. I don't check out their website every day - maybe 3-4 times a week - but enough to consider subscribing. So I considered. Digital only is $150/yr. Digital plus print is $300/yr.

Am I crazy, or does that seem extremely high? I have the same issue with the Wall Street Journal, which I also like, whose articles I also can't read, and who also charges an arm and a leg for a subscription. It seems to me this is confined to newspapers versus other news sources.

I occasionally buy the Sunday edition of the WSJ, but the Statesman is something I would want to read more often. The price for it (and most newspapers apparently) just seems ridiculously high, especially for digital only access.  I wonder if lots of people pay that price, and if they halved it, how many more subscribers they might get?

So we're talking around $6/week for a newspaper. (With both the print and digital editions.)

I'm not completely sure as the numbers are fuzzy, but from my paper route days, that is very close to the same cost as the local paper was in the 90s. Once you take inflation into account, I think it's the same or less.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 08:42:16 AM »
I don't read the paper every day so I have a subscription that gives me the Wednesday (Food) paper and the Sunday (obits) for less than it would cost me to get just the Sunday at the store, plus all I have to do is walk out to the driveway to get it. As a bonus (?) I get an online subscription for the rest of the days I may want to read the news.

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
I have to say, when we first moved to this area, I fully intended to subscribe to the local paper as I wanted to support local news.

But something told me, "wait... I know that name"

Turns out they were the paper that printed the entire list of all CCW holders in the state.

Oh, they hate me and want me dead. Not getting my money.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
I totally get that print papers plus delivery are not outrageously expensive. I'm just thinking that digital only is overpriced.

An analog for me is Kindle books. Plenty of the big publishers out there price their ebooks at nearly the same (or I have even seen higher) than print editions. Doesn't make sense to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Our local paper has 5 issues per week (Tuesday thru Saturday) but there is only about 2 days worth of news in the 5. $1 at the counter and I think it's about $55 for 6 months and overpriced for what it is.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
My local news used to be ... about half as expensive as it is now, as I recall, ten years ago.  I just quit altogether, as the local got more expensive and the news and editorial coverage more liberal.  I decided I didn't want to finance their agenda with my subscription money.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »
I totally get that print papers plus delivery are not outrageously expensive. I'm just thinking that digital only is overpriced.

I think print newspapers are outrageously expensive. I remember when the daily newspaper from any of the three cities surrounding my town sold for 25 cents, and then within a short period all three jumped to 50 cents. I was still willing to pay that, not every day but for the two or three days a week when I'd grab lunch at McDonalds. It gave me something to read while eating, plus it gave me a crossword puzzle to play with.

Then one of them jumped to 75 cents ... so I switched to one of the others, that was still 50 cents. Then the other two went to 75 cents, and I stopped buying. That was maybe five years ago, and then just a couple of years later they all jumped to $1 -- which is what the Sunday edition used to cost. At the same time they were raising the price, they were laying off reporters and reducing the amount of content. When the papers were 50 cents, they usually had four sections: Section 1 was national news, section 2 was local news, section 3 was sports, and section 4 was the comics and everything else that didn't fit into 1, 2, or 3. By the time the price had reached $1, they were down to two sections, and the total number of pages was typically less than the first two sections from the old days.

The "articles" weren't reporting by my definition. Mostly, they were by-lined by a hack who made the rounds of town halls in several towns, picked up press releases from the respective mayors' offices, and reprinted them as "news." No analysis, no comment, no attempt to present an opposing view for balance. Just outright regurgitation. It used to be that there were ads interspersed among the articles. More recently, I'd say 75% of the ink is advertising, and you have to look hard to find any articles among the ads.

And they wonder why they're losing readership.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »

An analog for me is Kindle books. Plenty of the big publishers out there price their ebooks at nearly the same (or I have even seen higher) than print editions. Doesn't make sense to me.

Paper and ink are cheap, especially at bulk prices.  I would assume (and do on ebooks) that the people who price e-books and print books closely feel that their IP is by far the more valuable part of the book.

When it comes to newspapers, I personally think reporters vastly overvalue their IP, but that's on me.  Some folks pay it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
There are generally enough stories on a subject that if I run into a paywall, I copy the subject and search.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
There are generally enough stories on a subject that if I run into a paywall, I copy the subject and search.

That works well for national news, but not as well for state and local news.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Are there any all-news radio stations in one of the big cities?

Washington, DC, has WTOP radio, which does a great job at covering national and local news and is free.

Same thing with your local TV stations.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »

I occasionally buy the Sunday edition of the WSJ, but the Statesman is something I would want to read more often. The price for it (and most newspapers apparently) just seems ridiculously high, especially for digital only access.  I wonder if lots of people pay that price, and if they halved it, how many more subscribers they might get? Or if they just cut down on, or eliminated their print editions (do people still get daily newspaper delivery?) if that would cut operating costs enough to lower digital rates?

Ben, What web browser are you using to view said paper's website?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:55:34 PM »
Ben, What web browser are you using to view said paper's website?

Firefox, Chrome, IE, Samsung.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
Are there any all-news radio stations in one of the big cities?

Washington, DC, has WTOP radio, which does a great job at covering national and local news and is free.

Same thing with your local TV stations.

What I've done since the local paper here cut their staff, luckily a local radio group has a pretty good news website for local news. Better than the 4 TV stations in the area.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
Firefox, Chrome, IE, Samsung.

Ben,
Try running Firefox with the NoScript addon installed and blocking all scripts by default.  I was able click on 10 different articles and never got a pop up.  I closed the tab and reopened it and received no pop-ups.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:23:57 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 03:26:29 PM »
Newspapers are going the way of the Dodo.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »
Yeah, I just can't see spending money on news content which can be found elsewhere for free.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
Ben,
Try running Firefox with the NoScript addon installed and blocking all scripts by default.  I was able click on 10 different articles and never got a pop up.  I closed the tab and reopened it and received no pop-ups.

I'll try it, however I was reading articles unhindered until just a week ago, so it seems something changed. I'll try noscripts in my VM though and see what happens.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »
I have a once a week paper and I used to buy one nearly every week, $2 at the counter. Price went to $5 two New Years ago. I quit, screw em. Somebody apparently forgot you make money in the business by selling ads and when you spend years at a time on one side of whatever pet issue you have advertisers stop buying, your rate base shrinks and then the ads you do sell are cheaper.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
Ours ran a special for several years, (2009-2012?), .10 per paper,  everyday, delivered.  When it went away,  we canceled,  and I had to explain the offended sales person that I was basically paying them for the privilege of throwing their paper away on a daily basis.  This is without even going into their VERY left bias.

I didn't have a bird or puppy at the time,  so that liberal rag wasn't actually good for anything besides the comics and classified section.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Ours ran a special for several years, (2009-2012?), .10 per paper,  everyday, delivered.  When it went away,  we canceled, 

I actually realized that the price I quoted is based on a 13 week introductory offer, and I based my annual numbers off that, so a full year would be more. How much more I don't know. They just say "regular rates", but they claim the 13 week special is 75% off. Kinda like the cable companies.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
I'm just going to drive by respond to the title of this thread:. Yes and yes.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:37 PM »
I actually realized that the price I quoted is based on a 13 week introductory offer, and I based my annual numbers off that, so a full year would be more. How much more I don't know. They just say "regular rates", but they claim the 13 week special is 75% off. Kinda like the cable companies.

Just exactly like the cable companies,  except no one actually NEEDS a newspaper.  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 05:22:09 AM »
Just exactly like the cable companies,  except no one actually NEEDS a newspaper.  >:D

Noone really needs cable either.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?