Author Topic: Netflix Will No Longer Support Some Devices  (Read 584 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Netflix Will No Longer Support Some Devices
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:08:54 PM »
An FYI.

Weird to me, as some of the devices listed are not that old. As far as the TVs, not everyone can afford or wants to buy a TV every stinkin' five or so years. If I hadn't bought a new TV this year, my old one would no longer have supported it. At least Roku has some cheaper current offerings for people that have older Rokus.

Part of the deal is not being able to do autoplay of next episodes and autoplaying previews. I have to say that I find that autoplay preview exceptionally irritating.

Netflix is kinda irritating me overall lately. I used to be super pro-Netflix too.

https://lifehacker.com/these-devices-will-lose-netflix-support-on-december-1-1839667351
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Netflix Will No Longer Support Some Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:05:47 PM »
Yeah, I hate the autoplay/autopreview on Netflix too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
I've got an older Roku box that is on the list of no longer supported. I also got an email from Roku today about it.
I've been kind of sort of planning to upgrade to a larger modern TV and give up my old reliable CRT unit sometime in the not really defined near future.
I've even mostly figured out what I'm going to get. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and go ahead and take the plunge.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:30:33 PM »
I used a Roku a long time ago.  They're a good intro to streaming, but they're pretty weak CPU-wise.

I upgraded several years ago to an Nvidia Shield set top box for my multimedia streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime, intermittent Hulu subscription, and home Plex Media client).  It's supremely overpowered for just streaming.  It's a quasi-gaming console, capable of working as a Plex Media Server in its own right.  I've been nothing but thrilled with the experience with it, I had never even considered that it might be targeted for a software sunset.  It still downloads new Android OS updates every month or two, so Nvidia is doing a good job supporting its lifecycle.  Basically, if an Android client exists for the service you want to use, the Shield supports it.  Crackle, Disney+, PBS Kids, a bajillion.  Plays oodles of Android games.  Very well.  Choose your input device:  Has USB, so you can use a micro wireless keyboard, the game controller remote that comes with it, full size kb/mouse, whatever is available with USB.

Blows the pants off the native streaming clients embedded into most BluRay players and TV's.  Super-responsive, no lag on user input.  We also have an Amazon FireTV console (which I think are now discontinued).  That wasn't bad either, just had a kind of 90's AOL-style garden wall to keep you inside of.

Costs way less than buying a new TV just to be Netflix compatible.  Plugs into TV via HDMI.  You might consider a similar device.

TV's never put a lot of effort into their software UI.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:20 PM »
Plugs into TV via HDMI.

Aye, now there's the rub!

My old set isn't quite that advanced.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams