Author Topic: Nobel Laureate Wants to Blast Nuclear Waste With Lasers Until It’s Safe  (Read 912 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/300954-nobel-laureate-wants-to-use-lasers-to-blast-nuclear-waste-until-its-safe

With an ultra-fast laser pulse, it may be possible to bombard nuclear waste and knock protons out of the nucleus. That turns a dangerous substance like uranium 235 into something comparatively harmless like lead. Other experts have chimed in to note that the physics makes sense on a theoretical level. However, the logistics of developing the right laser technology, separating out radioactive nuclei, and irradiating them is still beyond our reach.

Sounds like it is still beyond current capabilities, but it is interesting.  Seems to me that designs to use nuclear waste to power reactors is a more practical answer right now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
I want that laser, one swipe and the lawn is mowed.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
I want that laser, one swipe and the lawn is mowed.

Be aware of your target and what lies beyond.

What lies beyond.  Like your neighbor's house.  :O

Oh, and beyond the proton you're aiming at.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:25:43 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MikeB

• friend
Well heck, if they are going to knock a few protons off and turn uranium into lead, knock a few more off and make it gold. Then it can fund itself.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Well heck, if they are going to knock a few protons off and turn uranium into lead, knock a few more off and make it gold. Then it can fund itself.

That's alchemy

Uranus is a gas giant.

MikeB

• friend
That's alchemy

Which is essentially what they are discussing in the article. If only those old alchemists knew about lasers.

HankB

• friend
I know they've been working on laser induced fusion for decades, but this is the first I've read about laser induced fission.

Directly splitting the bonds of an atomic nucleus via laser sounds a little far fetched to me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I bet Sheldon Cooper could have figured it out. If only Big Bang Theory hadn't been cancelled...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Which is essentially what they are discussing in the article. If only those old alchemists knew about lasers.

I see my joke bombed...

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.

Ayup. Only three more of them.

My mind was already going down past lead, so thanks for completing that thought for me.

Seems to me you'd need a really high energy laser... like way past x-rays or even cosmic rays.  Can you make a coherent cosmic ray source?

Sheldon?

Can you?

....Sheldon?

Would this be a CRASER --Cosmic Ray Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation --instead of a LASER?

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:16:17 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.