Author Topic: When lawyers attack  (Read 843 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
When lawyers attack
« on: December 12, 2019, 07:45:04 PM »
A dispute between hospital staff and lawyers turns violent.

According to hospital administrators, more than 200 lawyers wielding sticks stormed Lahore's Punjab Institute of Cardiology (PIC) at midday on Wednesday.

Hospital officials said the lawyers forced their way past security and split into groups, attacking various departments and wards.

Video footage shared on social media showed lawyers - in suits and ties - smashing medical equipment and windows, and beating up staff and officials including Punjab information minister Fayazul Hasan Chauhan who had arrived on the scene to try to restore calm.

Apparently lawyers getting violent is not all that uncommon in Pakistan

"Pakistanis have been witnesses to violent acts by lawyers for several years now," commented one television anchor on Geo TV on Thursday.

"They have assaulted citizens, attacked policemen, raised their hands on judges and vandalised courts. But yesterday they crossed all limits," she added.

Patients die as lawyers ransack Pakistan hospital
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/patients-die-as-lawyers-ransack-pakistan-hospital/ar-AAK3JiZ?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=mailsignout
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: When lawyers attack
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
Blamed on Trump in 3...2...1...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 08:31:55 PM »
Ought to be a fine day to wake up as one of PAkistan's thin blue line. Shoot a lawyer and save a dying hospital patient? Win-win!

Broward county "Hold my beer." All patients dead, some of the lawyers too.

Russians "Hold my vodka."  *smoking crater* What hospital?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
This is the first I've heard of it, but I have been reading the various news reports.  I don't know how much is true, but supposedly as many as 500 lawyers participated, and 250 have been charged with *treason*.  The government is seeking maximum punishment.

I'm trying the figure out the logistics of conducting 250 hangings.  (the only legal method of capital punishment in Pakistan)  It would have been a lot easier to shoot them during the riot.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
I am trying to decide if these lawyers are worse than US lawyers or just more direct. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:24:25 PM »
But the final trigger for the violence appears to have been a video posted on social media by a doctor on Tuesday night in which he poked fun at the lawyers.
Sounds like they are pretty hot headed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
I am trying to decide if these lawyers are worse than US lawyers or just more direct. 

More shootable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »
. . . I'm trying the figure out the logistics of conducting 250 hangings.  (the only legal method of capital punishment in Pakistan)  It would have been a lot easier to shoot them during the riot.
I'm thinking about something on the order of a dry land version of a trot line . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
They really “fight for you” over there
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife