Author Topic: Solution for that impenetrable haze on your oven window  (Read 573 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Solution for that impenetrable haze on your oven window
« on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
I got tired of not being able to get our oven window really really clean. All the black stuff and sticky grease residue? No problem. That's what EZ Off is for. Unfortunately there is always a stubborn haze of schmutz left on the glass. It doesn't hurt a thing and all the "wonder cleaning methods" on youtube don't seem to bother with it, but it still bugs me. If I'm going to all the trouble to clean the oven then, by golly, I want a clean oven.

This weekend I decided to go at it with a purpose. Turns out the solution is both simple and easy... Bar Keepers Friend. I wiped down the glass with a paper towel moistened in naphta to get at every last speck of greasy goo. After that, a folded paper towel dipped in a thin mix of BKF and water took the film off easily. I applied it in small circles using only light pressure, spritzing with SprayWay occasionally to keep things damp. A quick wipe of the residue with a clean paper towel and final clean with SprayWay finished the job. It left perfectly clean glass without scratching or use of harsher abrasives (Mom, I'm looking at you and your steel wool). In terms of actual time, not including a couple hours spent cleaning and experimenting, the de-hazing step took all of about ten minutes.

There, my helpful kitchen tip of the week.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Solution for that impenetrable haze on your oven window
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 02:38:46 PM »
I've had good success using the same liquid cleaner that I use on my glass top stove.

That stuff also does a great job cleaning the soot and ash off the window of my pellet stove.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:42:27 PM »
I've had good success using the same liquid cleaner that I use on my glass top stove.

That stuff also does a great job cleaning the soot and ash off the window of my pellet stove.

Did I hear correctly that glass stovetop cleaner is essentially a rebottled version of Soft Scrub, albeit with slightly less aggressive abrasives so it doesn't scratch up the glass?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
I've always used Comet over the years.

Just recently picked up some Bar Keepers Friend and I find it superior in every application I've used it in so far.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:11:07 PM »
It may be. Don't know for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.